Author Topic: Dev Log #13: Blood Sucking Frogs  (Read 15365 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #13: Blood Sucking Frogs
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:07:09 am »

Right now I have 3 more creature models ready to be programmed into the game, but with everything else that needs to be done first they'll have to wait. For now you guys will have to settle with "Siphoners", which are essentially blood sucking frog-like creatures that can be found in the underground lakes and streams, waiting for their unsuspecting victims to come close to the water before pouncing on them. Their basic attack applies anticoagulation which reduces all healing effects, prolongs bleeds and increases the effectiveness of their blood sucking attack which, as you might have guessed, transfers your health to them. They also have head ramming attack that imbalances you and has a chance to stun you as well.

I've also implemented fishing. Actually, this was functional long time ago but due to some major changes to the game I had to disable it for a time. For now you'll only be able to fish for blue eels for a quest, but I'll add more fishing goodies later and probably some blueprints that make use of those. You also have a chance to fish out other random (and some not so random) stuff in certain places.

I've added a couple of new areas, a couple of new quests and a mini-dungeon with burrowers in it.

I've also made more some changes to other mechanics (I know I said I wouldn't for a while, but I lied):
  • Grenades and pyrokinesis will now deal their full damage near the center of the detonation and less and less damage the further you move from it. Something like this was already in place with frag grenade shrapnel (you'd get hit with more shrapnel the closer you are to the detonation), but now it affects all grenade damage
  • Pyrokinesis has a chance to miss the targeted tile in the same way as grenade do; the targeting precision is derived from metathermics skill

Next on the agenda: more quests and a couple more areas.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #13: Blood Sucking Frogs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:28:14 pm »
New enemy looks awesome, Good to see large monsters is appearing into the game and also lol @ Crossbowski!

Next on the agenda: more quests and a couple more areas.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »
Neato! Hmmm... I wonder if their blood could be used for regeneration serum. Or to enforce bleed effect on enemies.

Also, on the other topics... Will there be swamplike poisonous terrain? Or irradiated maps? Or anything else with environmental dangers? Maybe I'm asking too soon.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:48 pm »
I wonder if their blood could be used for regeneration serum.

You are a genius

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:57 pm »
Neato! Hmmm... I wonder if their blood could be used for regeneration serum. Or to enforce bleed effect on enemies.

Also, on the other topics... Will there be swamplike poisonous terrain? Or irradiated maps? Or anything else with environmental dangers? Maybe I'm asking too soon.

Anticoagulant can be extracted for their tongues. It's a component in health hypo blueprint. I might implement some way for you to apply it to the enemy directly in the future, I can see how it could be useful for knife wielders.

As for the hazardous terrain - I'm saving that stuff for the Deep Caverns, which is kinda Underrail's version of the Underdark. :)

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 03:26:17 am »
Crossbowski is the best name ever :P

WolveNZ

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Good Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 03:54:19 am »
Is their anyway I can Download the Update, as Desura is stuffed up for me with "Failed to Load Browser Library" Problems and the such, so cant patch though Desura... Should probs be writing this in a PM.... Uhhh, anyhow

Styg, anyway? :D

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:35:13 am »
Isn't that just developement post, WolveNZ? I was under impression that updates to the game are entirely different. You can just see what Styg is working on... Or are you talking about problems with downloading the latest build?

You are a genius
What can I say? I was born this way :D. Anyway making an dart coating, knife coating or even using it to come up with even stronger poison (a'la curare) would be very cool nonetheless and I'm very glad that Styg is considering it :D.

Holy carp! Underdark in Underrail? We need to go deeper! I can't wait to meet inhabitants of these dangerous zones... I guess one or two epic monsters similar to silver dragons or something like that would be great. In size of course. Cause no fantasy in my science fiction! But yeah I can see some more possibilities opening up.

Also, returning on the topic of frogs. I guess their main diet would be meat, because of the bleed ability (naming them vampire frogs could be better though. Or maybe mentioning them like that in some conversations, because people tend to create legends and stuff about dangerous zones, right?). So I guess the prevalence of rahounds and these small little thingies name I can't remember right now would be very low near water areas inhabited by them. Or are they using ambush mechanic? Like alligators waiting for the prey to start drinking? And are you considering some bigger animal or other creation which would be natural counter to them? Like animal with very thick skin, automatically being much tougher to bleed out? I'm mentioning these things, because I remember a bit of our talk about making believable environment which is truly alive :D.

WolveNZ

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Good Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:12:31 am »
Well, I cant download any updates to the game because my Desura's a bit fucked :p

But ja, theirs always a bigger fish, can anyone say Earthworms? :D

Haha! Now that'd be cool, "Hey, did you hear about those holes in the cave walls? a guy told me that its giant worms!" :D

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:05 pm »
Is their anyway I can Download the Update, as Desura is stuffed up for me with "Failed to Load Browser Library" Problems and the such, so cant patch though Desura... Should probs be writing this in a PM.... Uhhh, anyhow

Styg, anyway? :D

Can you download the stand-alone version (it's available on the Desura page)? That will give you the latest version.

Isn't that just developement post, WolveNZ? I was under impression that updates to the game are entirely different. You can just see what Styg is working on... Or are you talking about problems with downloading the latest build?

Yes, this is just a dev log, I let you guys know in separate post when these changes to live.

As for the Deep Caverns, you'll certainly encounter more dangerous creatures down there, but we'll see about their size. I'm not sure how well the engine will handle bigger creatures. In theory it should work, but I've not tested it for a long long time.

WolveNZ

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Good Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:51:14 pm »
Ahh, ok, Just figured it out, cant use the Desura program as thats buggered, but the website still works and *Should* be able to download it all though that as far as I can tell :p

All this Steam, Desura and the whatnot is so confusing.... :/

But wouldnt you encounter problems with larger creatures that occupy more than one tile?

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:30 am »
Yup, so I was right :P. It's easy to get confused sometimes.

I would love some bigger monsters, but if the engine isn't fond of these you can always cheat, Styg :P. I.e. by only making people fight stuck parts of the monster, or tentacles, or things like this. It works in some situation and is always a solution.

But yeah, Deep Caverns. Seems like there will be a lot of stuff to explore there. And to quicksave the hell from it ;D.

Sakuragi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 11:26:00 am »
Good stuff there. Hope for more and more updates, even though i have not been playing lately but i usually check the forum for more good news about this great game.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:52:58 am »
I would love some bigger monsters, but if the engine isn't fond of these you can always cheat, Styg :P. I.e. by only making people fight stuck parts of the monster, or tentacles, or things like this. It works in some situation and is always a solution.

That's actually not a bad idea. I'll keep that in mind.