Author Topic: Hardmode Iron Man Throwing build!  (Read 2782 times)

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Hardmode Iron Man Throwing build!
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:38:46 pm »
I've gotten so good at this game that it holds no challenge anymore unless I intentionally gimp myself. I'm going to try a pure Throwing build, no other combat skill. I did notice there seems to be a lot more Throwing feats than I remember, so perhaps Styg wanted to make this viable? I'm spreading around my skill points quite a bit as well. Trying Stealth with this build, although I suspect it's somewhat wasted with such high Initiative and ranged attacks. So far, it's quite tough in the early stages. One of the issues with Underrail is it's toughest at the start, then after Junkyard it becomes far too easy. Wish it was the inverse.

S: 3
D: 10
A: 10
C: 6
W: 3
I: 5

At level 6:
Throwing: 40
Dodge: 40
Stealth: 39
Hacking: 31
Lockpick: 21
Mechanics: 30
Electronics: 31
Chemistry: 31
Biology: 24
Tailoring: 33

Feats:
Quick Pockets
Sprint
Interloper
Grenadier
Pinning

Still thinking about starting over without Stealth, and dropping Pinning. This feat is unpredictable and I prefer Taser/Throwing Net/Flashbang for reliably immobilizing enemies. I may even drop Dodge, as with very high Init, and the fact that a low number of enemies use Melee in comparison to Guns, it's not hard to root or stun the Melee guy and then Dodge is wasted. What do you guys think about taking Paranoia on top of 10 Dex/Agi for guaranteed Initiative, as a sort of Stealth substitute? I could pair it with Recklessness, assuming it really does affect "all weapons", including Throwing Knives and perhaps even Grenades?

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Hardmode Iron Man Throwing build!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 07:59:56 am »
Played along with this idea myself once before, but defense is a problem.

With such an unarmored character and no armor to speak of, how do you survive without evasion? One slight mistake, one round where you cant immobilize the enemies, one grenade to the face and you are toast. No trap detection or disarmement at all either, you will be blown to bits then stepping on one?

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »
Played along with this idea myself once before, but defense is a problem.

With such an unarmored character and no armor to speak of, how do you survive without evasion? One slight mistake, one round where you cant immobilize the enemies, one grenade to the face and you are toast. No trap detection or disarmement at all either, you will be blown to bits then stepping on one?

Well he's not entirely unarmored, I use Tactical Vest which is good for bullet defense, with only 10% armor penalty. And since I have both Stealth and very high init, I can prioritize grenade throwing enemies first. Taser, Flashbang, Throwing Nets and Pinning feat, plus Cave Ear poison on my knives for snipers, gives me an awful lot of CC options. Detection is handled by Goggles, although it is a bit of a pain switching back and forth between Goggles/Balaclava. Prior to getting my first Goggle Frame I used a Blast Balaclava with Pig Hide gear, plus throwing Flares everywhere to survive traps and ambushes. I think I will also take Paranoia (+20% Detection) to mitigate Recklessness crit penalty over the next few levels since the latter is one of the few options for bumping up Crit chance with thrown weapons.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:57 am »
Tactical vest is good only against bullets and only to a certain point - things like AR and snipers still will do good damage, and aimed shot from snipers will kill you. If you don't get either a heavy armor or high evasion/dodge, you can buy a spare keyboard right now, because by the end of this run you will have f5 and f9 broken on yours.

P.S. Oh, wait, you are doing ironman. Heh, no way, jose. There are quite a lot of battles where you can't pick position and can't cover all enemies with 2 grenades.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:25:24 am by MirddinEmris »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 01:50:32 pm »
I've gotten so good at this game that it holds no challenge anymore unless I intentionally gimp myself. I'm going to try a pure Throwing build, no other combat skill.
That's quite a challange.

Have you finished the game with no deaths before? There's quite a few situations that can easily end up in death depending on circumstances/luck throughout the whole game. You need a lot of planning to make sure you can survive absolutely anything the game throws at you.

I did notice there seems to be a lot more Throwing feats than I remember, so perhaps Styg wanted to make this viable?
Throwing is more of a support skill, but yes, throwing only builds are completly viable.

I'm spreading around my skill points quite a bit as well. Trying Stealth with this build, although I suspect it's somewhat wasted with such high Initiative and ranged attacks.
Stealth and initiative complement each other. There are tons of situations where one has the advantage over the other. Stealth won't save you when the combat is initiated after dialogue/cutscene,  initiative doesn't give you as much options and is far less reliable when stealth can be used instead.

By the way, with 10 DEX and 10 AGI, your initiative will be 25. That's hardly a high initative. It's high-ish, but not enough to reliably act first when there are multiple enemies or enemies such as Carnifex or Faceless Gaunts who have high initiative themselves. Reliablity and consistency is really important when trying to finsih the game without deaths.

I would say 11-19 is low, 20-29 is medicore, 30-39 is high and 40+ is extremaly high.

If you wish to rely on initiative, you probably should take Paranoia for the +5 bonus. You might also consider taking Gunslinger and holding a pistol for +7 bonus. If you are going pure throwing then you are not going to use it anyways while 37 initiative is something you can truly rely on.

One of the issues with Underrail is it's toughest at the start, then after Junkyard it becomes far too easy. Wish it was the inverse.
I agree the game gets a little easier after Junkyard, but it still has several difficluty spikes that can easily kill you if you let your guard down. Carnifex, Gautlet, warehouse mercs, snipers in general, stealthed enemies in general, tchortist ambush, gasing the drones, only a few examples of situations that can end up very badly very quickly.

Still thinking about starting over without Stealth, and dropping Pinning. This feat is unpredictable and I prefer Taser/Throwing Net/Flashbang for reliably immobilizing enemies.
I wouldn't drop stealth, but I agree that Pinning is unreliable and not essential considering how many other options you have to immobilize enemies. Over 1/3 chance to immobilize when you are already throwing knives a lot is not bad, but not needed.

I may even drop Dodge
I'm not a fan of dodge/evasion in general, to me they require way too much investment for too little benefit that can be easily substituted with crafting, be it an energy shield or good armor. Crafting has also other benefits beyond defense. The other problem with dodge/evasion is that it drops to 0 when stunned/incapacitated, effectively leaving you defenseless in a situation where you need your defenses the most. I can avoid damage with clever positioning most of the time so I want all the protection when I can't move, not the other way around.

They are also unreliable by nature. This is not that much of a big deal when playing normally because they do work most of the time on average, but on ironman runs reliability is far more important.

Dodge also suffers a 25% penalty when wearing googles and NV goggles are awesome for any ranged build.

Overall, I wouldn't bother with either. You will be much better off with electronics/tailoring and a good energy shield/armor. You may even add 80 biology to craft Bullhead pills which will make you immune to stun/incapacitation for 3 turns.

with very high Init, and the fact that a low number of enemies use Melee in comparison to Guns, it's not hard to root or stun the Melee guy and then Dodge is wasted.
Gun users are not a threat whatsoever with a good energy shield, except for snipers and maybe dreadnoughts. They are simply not capable of going past the threshold (or only getting a really small amount of damage past the threshold) of a good crafted shield, not even a low fequency one and you can get over 1500+ capacity so they are not going to burn through that anytime soon. An amplified high frequency shield together with good armor should save you from being 1-shot by snipers.

On the other hand some melee enemies, while uncommon, are nonetheless a really big threat. In most cases you can stop them before they get near, but stealthy cutthroats/crawlers, Carnfiex, charging pigs, gaunts etc. can easily close in and quickly deal a lot of damage before you can do anything to stop them.

What do you guys think about taking Paranoia on top of 10 Dex/Agi for guaranteed Initiative, as a sort of Stealth substitute?
As I said, 30 initiative instead of 25 in a big difference. It's not a substitute for stealth however, I would go with both.

I could pair it with Recklessness, assuming it really does affect "all weapons", including Throwing Knives and perhaps even Grenades?
Nope, it only applies to weapons that are in weapon slots, not utilities.

Well he's not entirely unarmored, I use Tactical Vest which is good for bullet defense, with only 10% armor penalty.
Tactical vests become almost entirely useless after you craft an energy shield. There is simply not need for the bullet protection at that point because crafted energy shields make you virtually invulnerable to bullets. That said, they are very good before you get the shield, so usually until you finish Junkyard.

The only use for a tac vest I could see after that is against snipers if you craft it with nanocomposite plate that lowers the damage you get from criticals by a huge %. But that's very situational.

I would recommend using a pig leather armor- in my opinion it's the best overall armor with low penalty. It has high DR at the cost of lower DT, but DR is more useful in most cases, especially when enemy is dealing huge amounts of damage per hit. DT is only good when you can stack it to very high numbers.

+1 CON means more HP at that's universally useful, especially against psi and enemies that can potentially one-shot you. Infused pig leather gives a huge flat HP bonus in addition to +1 CON.

Add high density foam padding for added protection aganist melee (and 1-3% extra DR aganist everything in general) and together with shield you have pretty much all bases covered. By the end of the game you can easily have over 120 extra HP on Hard and over  60% DR against melee at only 20% armor penalty while being almost immune to bullets and other ranged attacks, with the exception of snipers and crossbows.

Ancient rathound leather armor is also very good, but I like the added HP from pig leather better. Also hate the persuasion penalty as it's hard enough to keep it high with only 3 WIL, but that's only if you care about persuasion.

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:14:31 pm »
Hey Ty,

With around 700 hours played, I'm not really an expert but I'm pretty familiar with the game. A lot of those hours were taking my time and learning, playing on Normal, etc. I've iron manned it with the exception of the infuriating Protectorate Warehouse quest, which I've only finished without reloading using high Stealth characters. I don't like realtime events in my turn based games. Gauntlet just sucks, tiny reward for high risk, I usually skip it.

The dangerous situations you listed I don't find particularly dangerous, but that's using foresight. I'm not one of those people who pretends I don't know what's coming (acting like it's my first time), but fortunately the maps are so sprawling in places that I only know the notable encounters by heart. That makes a tremendous difference in difficulty. So for example, Carnifex is easy: Pig Leather boots, Sturdy Vest, and amplified Energy Shield with two low impact modules.  Just need to survive his initial attack, assuming I lose init, and he's toast. Crawlers and Pigs? Heh, trash mobs from the start. What I have problems with is hunters. Crossbows are in that speed range that shields usually don't address well, they sometimes can get the jump on you, and can easily kill you in one round if they do. Also your choices have a big impact on difficulty, such as befriending the Faceless and choosing to relinquish the Cube.

I would recommend using a pig leather armor- in my opinion it's the best overall armor with low penalty. It has high DR at the cost of lower DT, but DR is more useful in most cases, especially when enemy is dealing huge amounts of damage per hit. DT is only good when you can stack it to very high numbers.
With all my hours played you just made me feel like a noob. For some reason I've been playing all this time believing it was the worst of the two that applied, not the highest. I have no idea why I labored under this misconception..perhaps a forum post. This is the first time I've tried Tac Vest, and still in the early game with the Throwing build so it's useful. Energy Shields are kind of OP imo.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 11:00:09 pm »
Gauntlet just sucks, tiny reward for high risk, I usually skip it.
To me satisfaction from finishing it is a reward in itself. One of the most difficult challenges in the game.

Carnifex is easy: Pig Leather boots, Sturdy Vest, and amplified Energy Shield with two low impact modules.
Infused siphoner tabis are by far the best choice against Carnfiex- a good chunk of his damage comes from him throwing the net and enjoying the Opportunist 25% damage bonus to immobilized enemies. Infused siphoner tabis give you immunity to immobilization, thus preventing him from netting you.

A sturdy tac vest is not the best choice here as the bonus HP is only equal to 50% of the quality (compared to 75% and 100% riot gear and metal armors have) and its DR is really low with no bonuses against melee. That's 60 HP at best if you get lucky and find a 120 sturdy vest.

On the other hand infused pig leather can easily give 90 flat HP in addition to the +1 CON and up to 60% DR against melee I mentioned earlier.

I don't see how an amplified Energy Shield with two low impact modules make any noticeable difference here- a shield crafted with two 140 quality low freq modulators and 140 amplifier still has only 41 threshold against very low speed attacks. Unarmed weapons ignore 80% of the shield, so you are left with 8 damage reduction per hit. Carnifex hits you 2-3 times in the first turn depending on the gloves he has, that's only 16-24 damage reduction in the first turn.  That's rather negligible.

Also, I don't think you are aware of the fact that Carnifex has Cheap Shots feat (it's not listed on the wiki) that gives him a 15% chance to incapacitate you on every hit in addition to Combo that gives him a 20% chance to stun on his 3rd successful hit. Not to mention he can have pneumatic gloves, but that's random and he usually won't be able to score 4 hits in the first turn. You could have lucked out on your first ironman run, but it's possible his last hit will incapacitate/stun you and give him another turn to finish you off.

If you don't have Thick Skull and/or high CON, the gear you listed in often not enough to survive the fight with Carnifex.

Crawlers and Pigs? Heh, trash mobs from the start.
It's very possible to get one-shot by a warthog charge if it crits if your HP isn't high. It's not likely, but possible. Had it happen once, seen it happen to other players.

What I have problems with is hunters. Crossbows are in that speed range that shields usually don't address well, they sometimes can get the jump on you, and can easily kill you in one round if they do.
Unfortunately I don't think any armor that can save you from shock bolts. Evasion could, but it's not very reliable. It's best to prioritize killing them first.

With all my hours played you just made me feel like a noob. For some reason I've been playing all this time believing it was the worst of the two that applied, not the highest. I have no idea why I labored under this misconception..perhaps a forum post.
That would be really counter-intuitive.

Energy Shields are kind of OP imo
Well they are not without drawbacks. Even a crafted low frequency shield will do very little against melee NPCs. Enemies throwing EMPs are extremaly dangerous, but also extremaly rare and depending on your choices you might encounter none of them. I really feel there should be more EMP users in general to make using shields feel more like a gamble rather than a total immunity to guns.

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:24 am »
I will try to address your whole post, but the first thing that popped into my head is that I usually do go with Riot, not Tac, and that's what I wore the last time I killed Carnifex. The shield might not mitigate much, but it was just enough to survive, which was all I needed to Tase him and that was all she wrote for him. I did know he had Cheap Shots, but forgot about the 15%. I did not know about Combo however. Again, I just got lucky, quite a few times actually.