Author Topic: Profitable crafting recipes ?  (Read 3088 times)

kzwix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Profitable crafting recipes ?
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:47:23 pm »
Hi,

My character is a high-intelligence, high-perception scientist/crafter, which uses crossbows as its main combat weapon (but also has some firearms training). I'm playing under the oddity XP system. That was for the context.

Now, I'm making decent money thanks to crafting (at first, it was mostly on extracted chemicals from rathounds, but now, weapons and armors are my bread and butter).

However, I've noticed that not all recipes are interesting, money-wise. That is, if you craft pistols and SMGs, you make a LOT of money (those my character crafts have the value of more than 2x the base parts, AND add 3x the value of most "extras" (for some extras, it's not as much, maybe only x2.5 or so, but it's still very interesting to buy parts, craft the weapon, and sell the result). Same goes for Tactical Vests, Riot Armors, and Metal Armors. Not very sure about leather armors (those are profitable, but kinda "beneath me", now ^^).

But, for other recipes, it seems that there's not much, if anything at all, to gain from crafting them (apart from the powerful item itself, that is):
Assault rifles are not as profitable, if they do not sport any extras (I'm guessing the base components modifier is lower - but it seems to be offset by the "extras" modifier, which is maybe higher).
I've NEVER been able to make a profit on a sniper rifle (they always sell for less than the buying cost of their parts, and even the premium on extras doesn't offset that initial loss). For goggles, extras seem to factor at 2x, merely reimbursing the expenses you went through to buy the amplification parts. And the list goes on.

So, I'm wondering: Is there a good reason for those differences ?  Is that a balance decision, to prevent players from being riddled with money too easily ?  Or is that merely happenstance (which could possibly be amended ?)

I'm asking because it seems to me it doesn't make much sense, story-wise (and, more generally, economically speaking), to "lose" value when adding work to something. Especially if you produce rare, and highly-sought, very-high quality items...

Right now, I find it hard to monetize most items, to the point where I don't even bother with anything electronic anymore, don't bother with traps either, only build grenades for my own use (which is pretty high - I find that roasting people and other things tends to dramatically improve my survival rate),
mostly rely on medicines and weapons/armors for money, and I was wondering how I could (maybe) relieve those other merchants of the money burdening them.

I mean, sure, I also sell high-quality repair kits to some merchants, but that's usually very limited, and those guys tend to gobble up much more of my cash than I get back from them - blame the nice, shiny parts (or battered and rusty, heh - I'm not judging) used to produce the aforementioned weapons and armors.

So... Are there other good recipes I should try, or are electronics and those other recipes I mentioned a non-profit area ?

kzwix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Profitable crafting recipes ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:41:28 am »
So... no replies after all this time :'(

Nobody knows about profitable electronics recipes ?  Especially now that I have a home to furnish, I find myself needing more and more charons :)

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:52:32 pm »
You are not a trader, and not meant to become rich just from building stuff, because otherwise, why aren't you doing that all the time?
Traders also don't hold enough money for the player to really become that rich. Well, rich enough to melt several thousand charons into armour, I guess.
That said, energy weapons and shields make a good charon.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 05:50:39 pm »
So... no replies after all this time :'(

Nobody knows about profitable electronics recipes ?
That's because You are the best merchant here :)
Electroshock sledgehammers seem to sell for 2x component value and cost good money.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:08 pm »
Coslie from steam forums did some research:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/1291817837625196247/

As of Version 1.0.2.4

For -most- items :
The value of an item equal the sum of it's parts times a multiplier.
Multiplier varies by item type, and sometimes by the number of optional parts.
The specific part is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the value.
I did not look at consumable items, their costs seem to be fixed and arbitrary.

Optional parts      0   1   2

Leather         2.25   2.25   2.5
Tac Vest      3   3   3.6
Riot         3   3   3.6
Helmet         2   N/A   N/A   
Metal*         3.3   < 3.3   <3.3
Boots**         2   2   N/A
Chem Pistol      3   N/A   N/A
Energy Pistol      2   2   2
Psi         2      
Taser         2   N/A   N/A   
Shield***      1.5      

Pistol         3   3   3.6
SMG****         
A/R****         
Sniper****         
X-bow         3   3   3.6
Glove         2   2   2
Hammer         2   2   2
Knife*****      < 1   <1   <1

Sry for bad formatting. Check steam thread for better one.