Author Topic: Is my build doomed or should I keep playing it?  (Read 1759 times)

wookie03

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Is my build doomed or should I keep playing it?
« on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:57 pm »
I started playing last night and have gotten up to level 4. I tried to read a little before I made my character but I think I made some bad choices. My goal was to be a stealth based guy who uses  snipers and pistols. Because I read you can hit a wall later on in the game I want to make sure my character is good enough to stick with.

My stats are:
S 5
D 10
A 6
C 5
P 7
W 5
I 3

And I have been putting points into Guns, Throwing, Dodge, Evasion, Lockpicking, Hacking, Traps, Mechanics, and Persuasion.

My feats so far are Aimed Shot, Expertise, Gunslinger, and Escape Artists.

I am fine with changing how I play this character, but if I have made to many mistakes I would rather start over now instead of getting 30 hours in before I relies I can't finish the game.

Thanks for any help!!

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Is my build doomed or should I keep playing it?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:14 am »
It's really hard to make a truly "doomed" build as long as you don't actually doom it on purpose (like a 3 WIL psi build). Bad choices can be a major handicap but mistakes are a part of the experience.

My goal was to be a stealth based guy who uses  snipers and pistols
That just happens to be my favourite build to play too.

S 5
D 10
A 6
C 5
P 7
W 5
I 3q
It's not perfect, but not that terrible either. Definetly salvageable.

STR is fine. Just enough for all sniper rifles except for one unique towards the end of the game that needs 6, but frankly it's not worth it.

DEX is a little too high in my opinion, unless you want to focus on pistols more than snipers. 7 is my sweet spot on sniper builds with pistols as a secondary, just enough for Gunslinger.

AGI is fine, 6 is just enough to pick Sprint feat.

CON is fine as well. Some people go for 3, but I usually go with 5 just like you did. Extra HP is always nice.

PER is the biggest issue here. You need 10 for Snipe and Sharpshooter feats, both are absolute must have for snipers and high PER is general benefits them a lot. You get 1 new attribute point every 4 levels so you can salvage this, but it will take a lot of time. I usually start with 10, at least 9, and end up with 15/16 by the end of the game.

WIL is too high. There is little reason to go above 3 if you're not using psi, maybe 4 if you want to avoid a penalty to persuasion/mercantile/intimidation.

INT is pretty low. Snipers really benefit from crafting their own rifles and goggles. I wouldn't go below 5, 7 if you want to take crafting feats.

My feats so far are Aimed Shot, Expertise, Gunslinger, and Escape Artists.
That's alright. I would take sprint too, it's really great for that kind of build. As a matter of fact it's great for everyone.

I am fine with changing how I play this character, but if I have made to many mistakes I would rather start over now instead of getting 30 hours in before I relies I can't finish the game.
You should be able to finish the game if you spend the next 3 attribute points in PER. You really want to have Snipe and Sharpshooter as a sniper.

If you want to start over, just make sure you DEX is at least 7 and PER is as high as you can afford, start with 9 at the very least and bump it to 10 at level 4. That's all you need for a sniper/pistol build.

wookie03

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 12:38:39 am »
Thank you so much for your response! I think I will restart with your more optimized stats. I only finished the first two quests, and most of that time was spent learning how to play the game. I don't have a ton of time to play video games so I feel safer starting more optimally considering how hard this one seems to be.

My new starting stats are:
S 5
D 7
A 6
C 5
P 10
W3
I 5

Again thank you so much for your help! With smaller games it can be hard to find good builds.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:18:41 am »
Just one comment: if you are going to be stealth-based, you should at least consider the Interloper feat, and for this you need AGI 7.

Stealth is slow, so if you walk around in stealth a lot, the speed difference is a very welcome quality of life help.
15 MP after breaking stealth is also ok.

But if you dont mind walking slower, or dont want be in stealth all the time when in hostile territory, Interloper can be skipped.

I recommend you try it out once before you start up your new character, to test it out, to see the movement speed difference for yourself.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 01:27:40 pm »
My new starting stats are:
S 5
D 7
A 6
C 5
P 10
W3
I 5
That's one attribute point more than you can start with. I would either start with 9 PER (then bump it to 10 at level 4, preferably end up with 15 at level 24) or take a point out of INT or CON.

Just one comment: if you are going to be stealth-based, you should at least consider the Interloper feat, and for this you need AGI 7.
Interloper is very convenient, but hardly something that can make or break the game fo you.

But yeah, if you find the stelath movement speed too slow, it might be worth to take another single point out of PER/INT/CON and bump AGI to 7.

NEvercalled

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:06:07 pm »
depends on difficulty level
if you play on normal u can go with anything.
on hard you have to think a bit bcs you wouldn`t survive even one turn quite often.

You can go pistols in that build you already have