Author Topic: Strength to Intelligence Stat  (Read 17364 times)

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Strength to Intelligence Stat
« on: May 05, 2017, 03:26:47 am »
Strength to Intelligence Stat

Hey guys, hope someone can help me with this. I was playing UR on a laptop with a crappy D-pad and ended up spending a point on strength instead of intelligence. This was a while ago however, didn't think it would mind at the time but I can feel the difference now. The other problem being I don't have an older save.

I read through some sources that it is possible to change stats with cheat engine, e.g. :

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/494632768632577823/?l=french

and

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=18163

I've tried both of these with little success (perhaps total lack of coding or sleep deprivation). Essentially what I wish to do is I just want to move that one point from strength to intelligence. If anyone can provide me with some guidelines, assistance or an idiot's guide to solve this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Otsirk

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Strength to Intelligence Stat
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:57:12 am »
Greetings. I am Reinhark, the great cheater.

Since it is real pain in the butt to actually edit the save file, I will just give you the cheat engine table.

Check your PM. Thank you.

Edit: Can't put attachments with PM. I will just post the CE table here, because cheat engine forum is mostly gone now. It is a VERY powerful table tool thingy, and you may ask me for instructions if you do not know how to use it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:00:52 am by reinhark »
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 05:28:26 am »
Sir,

There are no word to express my gratitude, other than you are a god among men.

I shall try it now and if I have any problems, I shall ask thee for they help

Honestly, thank you so much!

Kind regards,
Otsirk

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 06:40:40 am »
Dear Sir Reinhark,

My apologies for having to rely on your assistance so soon. I first boot Cheat Engine. Then, I proceed to open the table you have provided me with. When asked "Keep the current address list/code list" I select yes. Next, I proceed to boot UR and load my chosen save file.

From there, I go back to Cheat Engine and click on the computer icon with the magnifying glass and select UR as the process is wish to open. This is where things start to get confusing for me:

I chose to scan for the value of 5. Cheat engine returned with many results. Then at the bottom I selected (Activated) the "Ability score editor [Character Screen Only]" This then opened the subsections that listed all the abilities, however I am unable to select (activate) change any of the values.

I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge or skill with CE, but your sage assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 04:53:51 pm »
RIGHT. I didn't expect to get to use them well for the first time.
This table automatically tracks the stat values for you. You don't need to actually scan for anything.

Here is the step by step process on how to use it:

1. Open UR, load your game. open your character screen where you can see your steos like str and dex.

2. Open the script I have uploaded above, and open UR in the process list.

3. Click checkmark on the left of "Ability score editor". the values of all the stats should display "??".

4. Alt tab back to UR, don't click anything. Hover your mouse through strength, Dex, and Agi in that order. Alt tab back to CE again.

5. CE's "Ability score editor" should display all the correct stats of your character abilities.
You can left click individual values -> Change record -> Value to edit your stats.

For this process you must edit the table values. NOT the "real" ones.

For example: If I want to increase my strength by one, I must go through step from 1 to 4. Let's assume my strength is 5.

After confirming that all the stats being displayed correctly, I left click the "Strength Table" value  -> Change record -> Value.
This will open small window where you are able to enter a number.(current strength value should be inside there, which is 5 for this example)

I change the number from 5 to 6.

This change should be instant. Go back to UR and check if the strength is really changed.

Hopefully this tutorial may help.

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 01:37:23 am »
Thank you, Reinhark

Those instructions were clear cut and dry and worked perfectly. However, I have one more question for you:

1) Is it possible to change feats (remove one and add a different one) through your table? I ask because due to the change from STR to INT, there is one possible feat I am not suppose to have anymore.

Long story short, I would like to take that feat out and replace it with something else. Thus retaining the fairness of the character.

Once again thank you very much for all your assistance and guidance.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 04:56:43 am »
Thank you, Reinhark

Those instructions were clear cut and dry and worked perfectly. However, I have one more question for you:

1) Is it possible to change feats (remove one and add a different one) through your table? I ask because due to the change from STR to INT, there is one possible feat I am not suppose to have anymore.

Long story short, I would like to take that feat out and replace it with something else. Thus retaining the fairness of the character.

Once again thank you very much for all your assistance and guidance.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout
Feat replacement... That is much more difficult than replacing a single number.
Can I replace a feat through the CE table? No.

Is it absolutely impossible with any means? Also no. There is always a way.
This requires you to edit your save file and will require you to install some text editing software like Notepad++ or HxD.exe.

Please reply back if you want to continue instead of taking an easier way like, giving 1 extra feat.

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 05:24:17 am »
Thank you for replying and explaining, Reinhark.

I would like to do some text editing, just to maintain the fairness of the character. This being the harder way, I would definitely require your instructions and assistance. Apologies for asking a lot and not giving anything back.

So how do I proceed? Which of the two text editing programs would you recommend, and how do we move forward from there?

Thanks for your time, patience and assistance.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 06:43:21 pm »
If you are so determined... let's begin. I recommend you to use Notepad++ for its bare minimum ability to see the values and search function.(also useful for professional things if you are into that)
It can be downloaded from below:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.3.3.html

First, you must have a save file. Your save file can be located at: "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves" if you are running the windows.
Always make at least one more save file in case you screw up this process.

What you want to find here in those individual save is file named "global.dat". It is encoded in some way and must be processed in some way. Luckly we do have a way.

Go to this forum page where epeli put together some tools. What we are looking for is 'unpacker".
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2753.msg14299#msg14299 -> unpacker.

Select your save file's "global.dat" using this unpacker. it will download the unpacked version -probably named as "global_unpacked.dat" or something.

If you have installed Notepad++, you will be able to right click this file to see the option "Edit with Notepad++". Please edit this unpacked file with Notepad++.

Now, use search function(Control + f key) to look for the feat section. the file is long as we don't have all the time to look through all of them.
Search for your character's existing feat names. it is the easiest way.

It should look like this:

As you can see, your character's list of feats should be in this section of the text file.
What you need to do is find the undesired feat, and replace it with feat you want.

Unfortunately you probably do not have the full name(for example, paranoia feat's full name is [BS]paranoia. See the picture above. ). Please tell me the feat you desire. I should be able to find out the true name for the feat.

But even after replacing the feat, it isn't over! You must re-package the unpacked file.
Go back to the unpacker and select the "global_unpacked.dat" that you just edited. It will repack the file and download it again. (its name is probably like "global_unpacked_packed.dat")

Change the name "global_unpacked_packed.dat" back to "global.dat". Replace the original "global.dat" in the save file.(it has to be the same save file from few steps above.)

And voila! your feat is replaced.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 07:55:25 pm »
Oi, you really shouldn't recommend a text editor for editing binary files. Use a hex editor instead, it will make working with those special characters easier and less likely that you break the file by accident.

(its name is probably like "global_unpacked_packed.dat")
lol, that's silly. :D Yeah, it just appends _unpacked or _packed to the suggested filename you get the save as dialog, so you get monstrosities like that if you dont rename them. I should probably change that to make it slightly less stupid and confusing.

edit: k, now it removes any previous filename additions so you can't get insanity like originalFilename_unpacked_packed_unpacked_packed_unpacked_packed_unpacked_packed_unpacked_packed.dat

My other recommended editing file, "HxD.exe" is indeed Hex editing file. However I find it to be overwhelming for those who are not used to the whole file editing. Notepad++ may be inept for the task of fine editing, but it shows only necessary information without being a giant block of hex text.

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 12:53:52 am »
Hi Reinhark,

Thank you once again for the help.

As you said: "Unfortunately you probably do not have the full name(for example, paranoia feat's full name is [BS]paranoia. See the picture above. ). Please tell me the feat you desire. I should be able to find out the true name for the feat.

You are right, I do not know the proper name. As such the feat's name I desire to know is "critical power".

Thanks once again.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 04:28:29 pm »
Hi Reinhark,

Thank you once again for the help.

As you said: "Unfortunately you probably do not have the full name(for example, paranoia feat's full name is [BS]paranoia. See the picture above. ). Please tell me the feat you desire. I should be able to find out the true name for the feat.

You are right, I do not know the proper name. As such the feat's name I desire to know is "critical power".

Thanks once again.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

Critical power's feat name is, "[Enter/Newline]criticalpower"
I have the name in the file in the text attached below. Please replace it in the save file location.
[Enter], or [Newline] is treated as a character in this case. Even if it looks disjointed, please copy and paste EXACTLY what is in the quotation.

Remember. Structure of the feat is:
[a character]Featname
Always remember to delete that extra [single character] in front of feat name replacing the feat.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:30:11 pm by reinhark »

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 02:34:34 am »
Hi Reinhark,

As always thank you for replying to my message and your patience. I must be messing something up. Everytime I try to load the game it "fails to load" after I have made (and saved) the changes in the global file (renamed/repacked and replaced it). I have attached a word document to this post showing two pictures. One before I edit the global file and one after the edit.

I also make sure to save the changes I've made before repacking/renaming and replacing the file. I will be honest, I can't see where I'm going wrong and feel like bit of a dunce. As always your guiding had would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you, Reinhark.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 02:42:01 am »
Hi Reinhark,

As always thank you for replying to my message and your patience. I must be messing something up. Everytime I try to load the game it "fails to load" after I have made (and saved) the changes in the global file (renamed/repacked and replaced it). I have attached a word document to this post showing two pictures. One before I edit the global file and one after the edit.

I also make sure to save the changes I've made before repacking/renaming and replacing the file. I will be honest, I can't see where I'm going wrong and feel like bit of a dunce. As always your guiding had would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you, Reinhark.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

hmm, could you upload the save file(entire save file so I could test it myself) in the zip format?

Let's see if I can work with it.

Also, please post: Unwanted feat, and wanted feat name.

Thank you.

Kilgore Trout

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 03:51:40 am »
Hi Reinhark,

I will happily do that. Unfortunately, I am at work at the moment so I will do it as soon as I get home.

The unwanted feat is "fullauto" the desired feat is "critical power". Thanks as always.

Kind regards,
Kilgore Trout

P.S

I see the allowed size of an attachment is 192kb and the zipped size would be far larger than that. So I'll send it via PM?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:38:12 am by Kilgore Trout »