Author Topic: Dev Log #52: Jet Skis  (Read 25706 times)

ObeseAlligator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #52: Jet Skis
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 07:11:32 am »
This is great
Are we going to have any penalties for using throwable items while using the jet ski ?
Can we damage the enemy arms/hands, to drop him or her in the water ?
Can't wait for this expansion

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:19 am »
This is great
Are we going to have any penalties for using throwable items while using the jet ski ?

Throwing precision will suffer the same penalty as regular ranged weapons.
No, there's no swimming mechanics in the game so that would be kinda cheesy way to kill an opponent.

mytahtmyxa

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »
I'm not going to build in the speed hack into the game, but you can turn off Steam while you're playing if you're worried you'll get banned since it doesn't require it.

I can but this sucks.
Pillars of eternity does it. Press "D" for 2x speed.  I was hopping to see improvements in Expansions in this area. What is so wrong with speed acceleration within the game? Many of games had it no need to re-invent the wheel.

ObeseAlligator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 05:53:56 pm »
This is great

Throwing precision will suffer the same penalty as regular ranged weapons.
No, there's no swimming mechanics in the game so that would be kinda cheesy way to kill an opponent.
Thank you Styg
Last question: will there be an easy way of checking the amount of remaining fuel, while you're using a jet ski ?
The last thing I want is accidentally saving game above a body of water, in the jet ski, and running out of fuel before reaching one of the islands
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:47:25 pm by ObeseAlligator »

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 08:48:39 am »
I'm not going to build in the speed hack into the game, but you can turn off Steam while you're playing if you're worried you'll get banned since it doesn't require it.

I can but this sucks.
Pillars of eternity does it. Press "D" for 2x speed.  I was hopping to see improvements in Expansions in this area. What is so wrong with speed acceleration within the game? Many of games had it no need to re-invent the wheel.

Changing game speed is not cool, as it also changes game balance in ways that is bad for gameplay and immersion.

Some examples:
-The Mercantile skill is greatly devalued if you can just fast forward until merchants restock/rebuy.
-Same with Salesman and any other feats that deal with the shop mechanic.
-Pack Rathound feat loses its value if you can super-sprint from A to B with your stuff.
-Same with the Strength statistic and strength boosting gear.
-Same with Agility and equipment that help with speed.
-As added consequense, slow builds becomes much better as speed is not an issue.
-Flowers, mushrooms, animals and other things that reappear after a while is suddenly unlimited as you zoom through time. Unlimited drugs for you.
-As you move faster, the world gets smaller. One of the cool things about Underrail is the sense of a large world.
-As you zoom from shop to shop selling your stuff and zooming through time, you get so much money that you buy everything, totally fucking game balance.
-And much more...

So to sum up, speed hack is pure cheating and probably fun if you are into that stuff, but completely alter the game in ways that make some builds more powerful than intended, and make certain game elements lose its value.
It has absolutely no place in the base game.

mercy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 10:00:26 am »
Jet Skis are truly a unique addition to isometric game. Not even Fallout 1-2 had Jet Skis. :)  Awaiting completion.

Congratulations for these innovations!! 8)

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 10:17:49 am »
Thank you Styg
Last question: will there be an easy way of checking the amount of remaining fuel, while you're using a jet ski ?
The last thing I want is accidentally saving game above a body of water, in the jet ski, and running out of fuel before reaching one of the islands

yes

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 10:38:49 am »
Thank you Styg

yes

There's a bar tha shows it. And if you run out of energy, your jet ski will still be able to move, just very slowly (think: some auxiliary low power ultra-long life battery that they all have installed), so you won't ever get stuck for that reason.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 10:45:54 am »
So to sum up, speed hack is pure cheating and probably fun if you are into that stuff, but completely alter the game in ways that make some builds more powerful than intended, and make certain game elements lose its value.
It has absolutely no place in the base game.

Indeed. I don't have anything against people doing this (and they already can and do, very easily), but I have no interest in accomodating these sort of crude game pacing manipulations.

That is not to say that the player's desire to move more quickly around the world is necessarily bad and unwarranted and that I consider the current pacing perfect. It's just that this sort of solution cannot be well integrated in the game at this point and, hance, as said, has no place in the game itself.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
If I wanna run through the game, I simply switch to combat mode. It's a crutch, but it works.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

mytahtmyxa

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 06:23:12 pm »
It's just that this sort of solution cannot be well integrated in the game at this point and, hance, as said, has no place in the game itself.

That was just one, crude as you called it, solution to what some of us think is a problem with Underrail. I'm sure the community and you Styg can come up with a more elegant solution when (and if) you decide to do something about it. That's all.

Thanks!

ObeseAlligator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 06:47:42 pm »
Thank you Styg

yes
There's a bar tha shows it. And if you run out of energy, your jet ski will still be able to move, just very slowly (think: some auxiliary low power ultra-long life battery that they all have installed), so you won't ever get stuck for that reason.
Thanks guys

I'm glad it's not possible to get stuck, in that situation

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 02:53:14 pm »
Are we still looking at a release date first half of 2017?

captainmeow

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 11:59:46 pm »

Styg recently did an interview where he talks about the scope of the expansion here: http://pl.ign.com/underrail/10306/interview/jak-bedzie-wygladac-przyszlosc-dla-underrail--wywiad-z-dejan

Using google translate, we get a (very poor) translation: "When I was ready, I remembered about the first half of this year, but I do not think that people are still taking me seriously on this matter. We took on more work than we had originally planned, but we are going to do it well. How long will it take us?"

I think that means "we'll release it when it's done."

Classic Styg.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 05:27:31 am »

Styg recently did an interview where he talks about the scope of the expansion here: http://pl.ign.com/underrail/10306/interview/jak-bedzie-wygladac-przyszlosc-dla-underrail--wywiad-z-dejan

Using google translate, we get a (very poor) translation: "When I was ready, I remembered about the first half of this year, but I do not think that people are still taking me seriously on this matter. We took on more work than we had originally planned, but we are going to do it well. How long will it take us?"

I think that means "we'll release it when it's done."

Classic Styg.
"When It's done. I mentioned first half of this year, but I do not think that people are still taking me seriously on this matter. We took on more work than we had originally planned, but we are going to do it well. It doesn't matter how long it will take us."

Tchort guide You.