Author Topic: Dev Log #52: Jet Skis  (Read 25727 times)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #52: Jet Skis
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 06:22:36 am »

*snip

3. For the snipers it kinda made sense. Similarly for the sledgehammers, but there was also an issue of animation, especially in the sitting position.

Question: does this mean sniper-only and hammer-only characters are non-viable for the expansion?

Looks like psi users are still top dog, while brawler and psi monk got shafted hard. :'(
Still looking forward to everything and planning on day 1 purchase.

Lol looks like I pissed off Styg for some reason as this is the second time my questions were ignored. Oh well I still love this game. *shrug*

It's rather hard to be sniper only or sledgehammer only because you can also use all other melee and guns. Sure, you won't be as good as with weapon you specialize in but you should be good enough.
I had a 'pistol only' character and tried to use SMGs in DC. Not those awesome crafted ones, mind you, just the best unique i found. I didn't use "No, fuck *you*" ammo A.K.A. w2c, but the regular bullets and i was stomping DC creatures just fine.
So i wouldnt worry at least for snipers. As for sledge users - expansion will add two STR oriented weapons so they might be fine as well. I'd rather worry about DEX oriented melee.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 07:05:12 am »

*snip

3. For the snipers it kinda made sense. Similarly for the sledgehammers, but there was also an issue of animation, especially in the sitting position.

Question: does this mean sniper-only and hammer-only characters are non-viable for the expansion?

Looks like psi users are still top dog, while brawler and psi monk got shafted hard. :'(
Still looking forward to everything and planning on day 1 purchase.

Lol looks like I pissed off Styg for some reason as this is the second time my questions were ignored. Oh well I still love this game. *shrug*

No, it doesn't mean that. Bulk of the combat will still be occurring on the dry land.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:11 am »
Very unexpected. That jet ski animation looks VE-E-ERY choppy. Are you planning to work on improving it? Gives me a headache just by looking at it.
Come to think of it the game seems to be limited to 60FPS, can the limit be removed? maybe that would help with choppiness a bit.

Could be just the GIF, but in either case, no we do not plan on improving it further, there's only so much we can do in this engine.

Fjodik

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:29 am »
Hey Styg, can you give us some update how the development goes in general, I mean what still needs to be done in terms of new areas, mechanics, etc. Do you still have some surprises in the store?

You also mentioned couple of years ago in one of the development blogs that you would like to come up with a solution how to address a problem that there is no running option in the game - any update here?

Additionally, do you consider making an early access for the expansion?

Many thanks for your time

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 09:02:18 am »
Hey Styg, can you give us some update how the development goes in general, I mean what still needs to be done in terms of new areas, mechanics, etc. Do you still have some surprises in the store?

You also mentioned couple of years ago in one of the development blogs that you would like to come up with a solution how to address a problem that there is no running option in the game - any update here?

Additionally, do you consider making an early access for the expansion?

Many thanks for your time

- Regarding new mechanics we're mostly done. There's going to be one more interesting mechanical feature revealed in a future dev log. When it comes to areas, I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but there's one more big theme that will be revealed and one smaller that will not be revealed (since it relates to the DLC's endgame). There's also a couple of minor stuff that might or might not be shown in the logs, but probably won't be discussed directly as I prefer to leave it to players to discover these sort of things.

- Citation needed.

- No, but we might take on some testers to play it prior to the official release.

Fjodik

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 09:35:54 am »
Thanks for update, regarding my question about running, quote from dev blog below:

There is no running option - The main problem here I think is that backtracking through the areas you already explored, as well as moving through the non-hostile areas, such as the SGS, is too slow. I'm not quite sure yet how I'll address it. Just adding a running option is not that easy as there's a lot of stuff to be consider there and it would also need new animation on all those character models, etc. I'll have to think on how to address this one.

Fjodik

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 11:31:56 am »
Oh I see, thx for explanation.

mytahtmyxa

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 02:32:53 pm »
Could be just the GIF, but in either case, no we do not plan on improving it further, there's only so much we can do in this engine.

I thought you made your custom engine. Fixing timestep making it frame independent will make the game future proof (*cough* 21:9 next *cough* ). Reading material: http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/
You owe it to future generations! 8)
It can also be a first step towards tackling the speed hack issue. People shouldn't have to hack your game to enjoy it. Please don't ignore the issue.

Thanks

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 08:14:31 pm »

I thought you made your custom engine. Fixing timestep making it frame independent will make the game future proof (*cough* 21:9 next *cough* ). Reading material: http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/
You owe it to future generations! 8)
It can also be a first step towards tackling the speed hack issue. People shouldn't have to hack your game to enjoy it. Please don't ignore the issue.

Thanks

I did, but that doesn't mean it's without limitations. Timestep is already frame rate independent.

What speed hack issue?

And the damn future generations can make their own games if they don't appreciate our 60 fps standards!

mytahtmyxa

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 11:58:27 pm »
I did, but that doesn't mean it's without limitations. Timestep is already frame rate independent.

What speed hack issue?

Oh I thought 60fps lock was due to animations being tied to framerate. I thought I remember getting to Core city and seeing framerate take a dive and game get slow because of it. Am I remembering that wrong?
Speed hack issue is where players resort to using Cheat Engine to make the character move around the map faster by speeding up the game. This is partly due to "run" mode being missing I guess.
Can that functionality be built into a game? I don't want to have cheatengine on my computer at all, i heard it gets people VAC banned on steam in some situations. But I can't play without it anymore.

And the damn future generations can make their own games if they don't appreciate our 60 fps standards!

lol...

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 06:59:59 am »

What speed hack issue?

Oh I thought 60fps lock was due to animations being tied to framerate. I thought I remember getting to Core city and seeing framerate take a dive and game get slow because of it. Am I remembering that wrong?
Speed hack issue is where players resort to using Cheat Engine to make the character move around the map faster by speeding up the game. This is partly due to "run" mode being missing I guess.
Can that functionality be built into a game? I don't want to have cheatengine on my computer at all, i heard it gets people VAC banned on steam in some situations. But I can't play without it anymore.

lol...

I'm not going to build in the speed hack into the game, but you can turn off Steam while you're playing if you're worried you'll get banned since it doesn't require it.

ObeseAlligator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 07:11:32 am »
This is great
Are we going to have any penalties for using throwable items while using the jet ski ?
Can we damage the enemy arms/hands, to drop him or her in the water ?
Can't wait for this expansion

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:19 am »
This is great
Are we going to have any penalties for using throwable items while using the jet ski ?

Throwing precision will suffer the same penalty as regular ranged weapons.
No, there's no swimming mechanics in the game so that would be kinda cheesy way to kill an opponent.

mytahtmyxa

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »
I'm not going to build in the speed hack into the game, but you can turn off Steam while you're playing if you're worried you'll get banned since it doesn't require it.

I can but this sucks.
Pillars of eternity does it. Press "D" for 2x speed.  I was hopping to see improvements in Expansions in this area. What is so wrong with speed acceleration within the game? Many of games had it no need to re-invent the wheel.

ObeseAlligator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 05:53:56 pm »
This is great

Throwing precision will suffer the same penalty as regular ranged weapons.
No, there's no swimming mechanics in the game so that would be kinda cheesy way to kill an opponent.
Thank you Styg
Last question: will there be an easy way of checking the amount of remaining fuel, while you're using a jet ski ?
The last thing I want is accidentally saving game above a body of water, in the jet ski, and running out of fuel before reaching one of the islands
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:47:25 pm by ObeseAlligator »