Author Topic: Dev Log #60: New Experimental Version (1.0.4.15) and Trailer Video  (Read 18255 times)

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #60: New Experimental Version (1.0.4.15) and Trailer Video
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 10:33:04 pm »
Versatility might be a trap. It's funny, because when I first saw it I thought it was OP, especially with the likely option of juicing it via specialization points. But now that I've thought about it for a while, I'm not sure I'll ever try it. Having attack points that aren't backed up by feats isn't all that appealing.

It might be a good choice for newbies who haven't figured out the systems yet, letting them try lots of things without having to actually spread themselves thin on skill points. Probably not that many newbies trickling in at this point, although I still hope to convince my brother to give it a proper try one of these days.

I might ever take Versatility on a melee character to give myself backup ranged options. To me this feels like the most advantageous use of Versatility. But more likely I'll just keep putting a few points in Throwing and chucking grenades. (Looking forward to a sword and board character once the expansion lands.)

Grudge

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 02:37:35 am »
Considering the new .25% value of items on dominating and the fact that nobody has been able to nodeath the difficulty yet, I don't really think changing all the maps is a good use of Dev time or would improve anyone's enjoyment of the game on that difficulty.

I've been trying that one on and off since Styg implemented the difficulty. It's been an interesting experience. I recently managed to get to the point that I can reliably get through depot A, largely by memorizing nearly every tiny part of the game up to that point. My best run made it through rail crossing and I then forgot that core city doesn't like it if you walk around in someone else's apartment.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 03:03:02 am »
I can't download 1.0.4.15.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just me being a bonehead. No one else has complained so I suspect the latter.

I have GOG Galaxy configured to download using the Experimental channel. The version I get is 1.0.3.20B2, not 1.0.4.15.

Has anyone else been able to get 1.0.4.15 from GOG Galaxy? Are you using the Experimental channel?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »
Good to know, thanks Epeli.

Tahoefox

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 04:37:54 am »
I can't download 1.0.4.15.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just me being a bonehead. No one else has complained so I suspect the latter.

I have GOG Galaxy configured to download using the Experimental channel. The version I get is 1.0.3.20B2, not 1.0.4.15.

Has anyone else been able to get 1.0.4.15 from GOG Galaxy? Are you using the Experimental channel?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Not your fault. Looks like it's not on GOG. :( The experimental channel hasn't been updated on galaxy. Maybe Styg forgot to update the GOG side of things because the alpha testing had to be done via Steam.

I'm not any kind of expert or anything, but I sort of doubt that it was Styg forgetting to update. GOG is infamous for taking an extremely long time make updates available once the devs have pushed it, sometimes months. Some games have gone almost a full year while GOG checks the update for hidden DRM.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 02:38:20 am »
Soo, speaking of the latest experimental.
Not sure if it should be classified as a bug, but:
Master Exploder is now wearing a blast suit. It's not only obvious from the model, but you can also loot it from him.
That's all nice and all, however, based of his initiative, he is NOT, in fact, wearing a blast suit.
Well, it's either that, or he has some absolutely insane stat values in agility and dexterity. Because otherwise there is no chance in hell he should have 22 initiative while wearing a blast suit that gives -6 to both agility and dexterity.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:40:46 am by Tamior »

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 09:30:49 am »
It appears Master Exploder is indeed wearing his own custom nodrop blast suit. He just carries a normal one around in his pockets. :D More sneaky arena armor shenanigans...
The problem is, in a game with pretty well-establish game-mechanic (UnderRail is one of them), those shenanigans are really NOT that sneaky.
It's blatantly obvious Master Exploder is simply ignoring stat penalties from his suit. And it really rubs me, as a player, the wrong way when I need build up an initiative of X points by using consumables, feats and equipment (all with their own trade-offs), and then an NPC gets his initiative score because he can simply ignore the rules.
It really feels like it would be better to give Master Explode an actual Blast Suit with actual penalties, and then maybe give him an explicit effect of consumable (i.e. root soda for initiative) to offset those.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:09:08 pm by Tamior »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 10:54:44 am »
Yeah, agree - we need in-game shenanigans, not just shenanigans.
Arena is a difficult place, especially is you are in one life mode...

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 11:40:28 pm »
*eurobeat intensifies*

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2019, 12:21:40 am »

(kudos to the editor)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:47:53 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 07:46:43 am »
I'm not any kind of expert or anything, but I sort of doubt that it was Styg forgetting to update. GOG is infamous for taking an extremely long time make updates available once the devs have pushed it, sometimes months. Some games have gone almost a full year while GOG checks the update for hidden DRM.

Turns out Styg didn't have time to get the GOG version ready.
A lot of GOG's infamy is undeserved. They need some time to manually update their offline installers, but GOG Galaxy beta channel updates are more streamlined/automated with no quality control, not unlike Steam updates. These days big delays are usually up to the game developer.

Unless you have an older system, that runs Underrail flawlessly but bogs unto death from that bloated hog of an app known as Galaxy. I despise it.

Hekantonkheires

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2019, 01:54:43 pm »

(kudos to the editor)

this.. a thousand times this