Author Topic: Small suggestions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 3556 times)

Eisen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Small suggestions that don't deserve their own thread
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:08 am »
Hello,

I remember sticky threads like this from forums about other indie games to be quite useful.

Just post smaller stuff like some quality of life improvements, fluff or anything minor.

I will start with more throwing weapons. Strength based weapons like javelins and throwing axes/tomahawks.
Shurikens that fly further and are more accurate than throwing knives but do less damage.

Eisen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Small suggestions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:19:08 pm »
  • Being able to see the total value of the request/offer in the barter interface would make it easier to balance things out
  • A memory function for the hotkey bar. When you assign lockpicks to a key and use them all up they should automatically be assigned to the key again once you buy/find new lockpicks

Eisen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:48:43 pm »
Marking items in your inventory as favourites so you can easily spot them when you're hording stuff of the same type
Like when you're using 3 different pistold but also carrying some to sell you should be able to mark your 3 weapons of choice so you can easily switch and dont accidentally sell

eBurn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:42:12 am »
Played the game twice and realized how often I have used F9 to reload the beginning of  fight. 1000 times... would be nice to have a perk or just permanent fix that first hit which engages the battle have 100% chance to hit. I am pretty sure everyone just click f9 when you miss your first hit. As long as you can use reload as many times as you want it doesn't affect any aspects of the game, but will save you a lot of time and make gameplay more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:48:48 am by eBurn »

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:38:28 am »
I am pretty sure everyone just click f9 when you miss your first hit.

No

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:24:20 pm »
Played the game twice and realized how often I have used F9 to reload the beginning of  fight. 1000 times... would be nice to have a perk or just permanent fix that first hit which engages the battle have 100% chance to hit. I am pretty sure everyone just click f9 when you miss your first hit.
Only I click f9 when I miss first hit xD
Somtimes i reload if i missed special attack with plasma but usually i do not.
Making first hit a guarantee could lead to people savescamming second hit.
Some people, like Wildan, play UR Ironman style. That would affect their gameplay.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:49:18 pm »
would be nice to have a perk or just permanent fix that first hit which engages the battle have 100% chance to hit.
Way too much of an advantage. Almost game breaking for sniper rifles.

I am pretty sure everyone just click f9 when you miss your first hit.
Definetly not. Not everyone has a habit of savescumming. I'm pretty sure you would just savescum the second shot if the first one was guaranteed, or the third one if the first two were guaranteed. It's a slippery slope.

As long as you can use reload as many times as you want it doesn't affect any aspects of the game, but will save you a lot of time and make gameplay more enjoyable.
It affects the game a lot. You can theoretically savescum perfect accuracy 100% of the time with enough dedication and patience, this doesn't mean the game should simply get rid of accuracy and make everything hit 100% of the time. Personally I enjoy the possibility of missing and accounting for it while planning out my tactic. I's a part of the game.

Savescumming is called that for a reason, it's basically breaking the intended game design. I don't really care what people do in singleplayer games to have fun but the game should never be designed around exploits.

eBurn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:40:00 am »
Dont see what kind of tactics you planning if you missed your first hit with 5 ironmans or faceless. On the hard it means you basically dead in their turn. I dont use savescamming if fighting simple creeps like rathounds and etc... but for  fights on hard first hit means a lot.  But when I have 95% chance to hit and I miss every second fight with first hit, it is just annoying. And I am saying you can introduce a perk or something with cooldown or whatever and doesnt change much in gameplay.

For people who like to be Wildan (dunno who it is), you can make a tickbox in character creation to remove this perk from the list... would be hardcore mode or whatever. But again as long as you can reload anytime and you have autosaves every location, it means nothing to me when people trying to not save because its too easy. Common if you play like this, you die, just make new game and forget about saves, that like in real life, no saves. But they will never accomplish this game on hard...

Furthermore, there is a lot of other things that make the game not real, when you move from one area to another with hostilities left in first one, noone come after you... and a lot of things like that... so do not try to make the game looks like real, just by not using save reload.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:45:50 am by eBurn »

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 05:24:57 am »
Dont see what kind of tactics you planning if you missed your first hit with 5 ironmans or faceless. On the hard it means you basically dead in their turn.

No, it doesn't. If it does, it's just means that your character is lacking proper defenses like armor, shield, evasion/dodge, etc. Not every character is a glass cannon. And even in that case, there are always cover and traps. Knowing how to position yourself before the fight is very important.

If fights are so hard for you that you have to savescum, think about playing on lower difficulty.

But they will never accomplish this game on hard...

That is hilarious :)

eBurn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 05:34:55 am »
That is hilarious :)

I meant without saves and deaths. I completed twice on hard with melee and sniper ways. That;s enough.

Yeah I always positon and think and make traps, but saying you will always win with miss first hit, that's just crap.

Even using flashbanks sometimes i Have 3 enemy resisted and so on. So don't try to look like you can plan EVERYTHING ahead and never die!

And please read carefully before write..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:41:17 am by eBurn »

Nnnx

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:47:06 am »
Possible to have a mousewheel zoom in zoom out function for people with higher resolutions? Instead of having to lower resolution to 1600x900 from 2560x1440 all the time.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:53 pm »
Dont see what kind of tactics you planning if you missed your first hit with 5 ironmans or faceless.
Don't know who "ironmans" are, but in case of faceless, there are multiple ways to make up for the missed first shot.

You can simply shoot again. Even if you are using sniper rifles, you can either use Spearhead with a rapid reloader or Dragunov to shoot twice. If you are too early in the game to get them, you can use a 35 AP rifle and have 2 shots with adrenaline or Blitz. If you're using a rifle with a standard scope and/or bipod, you are making it far more likely to hit the first shot but still need to deal with the possiblity of missing.

You can throw a flashbang. In the rare occurence it manages to incapacitate all enemies, you can re-stealth. If it doesn't, you still have to deal with less enemies for the next few turns. Or you can use other crowd control abilites.

You can run if there is enough space and you have a lot of move points. Yuo can also run behind an obstacle to break theline of sight.

You can set up traps in advance.

You can use slowing/immobilizing abilites on the enemy standing in a tight passage making it impossible for others to get through. Bear traps or kneecap shot are a good example.

You can survive the damage with an energy shield, good armor, good dodge/evasion, good HP, drugs such as morphine or aegis, defensive feats, etc.

And more. There are more than a dozen of way to circumvent missing. You simply don't see them because you savescum and never have a real need for them as a result.

On the hard it means you basically dead in their turn.
Definetly not. If missing the first shot means certain death to you, your build is simply too weak or not using all the options available to you. In that case you should either strive to get better and use your options better, or lower the difficulty. Not try to incorporate exploits as an essential part of your tactic.

I dont use savescamming if fighting simple creeps like rathounds and etc... but for  fights on hard first hit means a lot.  But when I have 95% chance to hit and I miss every second fight with first hit, it is just annoying.
If your chance to hit is 95%, you are not missing every second fight, roughly every 20th fight. RNG in Underrail is rather fair and working properly, I did some test in the past to confirm that. You are sipmyl suffering from a cognitive bias- we are far more likely to remember frustrating situations and take pleasant ones as the norm and overlook them, which makes the frustrating ones appear much more common than they actually are. I even attached a picture proving this.

And I am saying you can introduce a perk or something with cooldown or whatever and doesnt change much in gameplay.
How does cooldown change anything when the ability is used before the start of a fight?

For people who like to be Wildan (dunno who it is), you can make a tickbox in character creation to remove this perk from the list... would be hardcore mode or whatever. But again as long as you can reload anytime and you have autosaves every location, it means nothing to me when people trying to not save because its too easy.
Lack of savescumming is not playing "hardcore", it's playing how the game was intended to be played. Again, game should not be designed around exploits. You could savescum the second shot and later claim it should be guranteed because you are dying if it misses.

Common if you play like this, you die, just make new game and forget about saves, that like in real life, no saves. But they will never accomplish this game on hard...
I'm pretty sure Wildan did finish the game on hard with no deaths and reloads, as did I. Just a matter of being familiar with the game and proper planning.

You know, on my ironman sniper runs, the higlight of the entire game is fight with Carnifex. It's something I need to specifically build and prepare for precisely because he's likely to act first and even if he doesn't, it's very likely to miss the first shot. I have like 6 different tactics against him depending on if the first hit misses or not, if the flashbang works or not, if the taser works or not, of the kneecap shot hits or not... you get the idea. Having a guranteed first hit against him would trivialize this. That's how much it affects the game design.

Furthermore, there is a lot of other things that make the game not real, when you move from one area to another with hostilities left in first one, noone come after you... and a lot of things like that... so do not try to make the game looks like real, just by not using save reload.
I don't think me or anyone else said anything about realism. That's not the point, the point is savescumming goes against how the game is designed. Which is not bad by itself because you are free to enjoy the game however you like, but again, it's not something that the game should be designed around.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:11:09 pm by Tygrende »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 12:06:37 pm »
Coming back to the original topic, I would really like to finally see some sort of indicator for Ambush feat that makes it clear if it will take place. Sometimes it's very hard to tell.

Fugue

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 11:06:54 pm »
I see an inventory suggestion of a favorites system has already been put forward. I suggest something similar, an additional equipment/carried/backpack tab to the inventory that is exempt from 'sell all'. I run characters with a lot of different gear that I switch in and out, and it would be great to have an inventory tab I could place those items in separate from other inventory items without having to worry if they've been sold when I was dumping a bunch of stuff on a vendor.

Karen2

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:01 pm »
Marking items in your inventory as favourites so you can easily spot them when you're hording stuff of the same type
Like when you're using 3 different pistold but also carrying some to sell you should be able to mark your 3 weapons of choice so you can easily switch and dont accidentally sell

Kinda like the junk system in Wasteland 2 in reverse?   We spend a lot of time on inventory management in Underrail, and I think that something like that can help during the many trade transactions that we make.

Edit: Speaking of inventory management, it would be nice if the equipped weapon stats would show along side the currently selected one for at glance comparison.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:48:49 pm by Karen2 »