Author Topic: Weird behavior using Sniper Rifle...??  (Read 1497 times)

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Weird behavior using Sniper Rifle...??
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:09 pm »
Hey all. I finished the game way back when, starting over with Stealth/Sniper build. I'm in the Burrower area in GMS Compound. Explain this to me: I open with Snipe from stealth and kill a burrower. Chance to hit: 95%. I end my turn without moving, so I'm still Focused. I take a couple hits from Spawn, and one of poison ranged attacks hits me. Next turn: my chance to hit another burrower at the same range is now ... 32% ?? Why did my chance to hit suddenly go down drastically? I thought as long as I stayed in Focus it would be same chance. Did getting him by one of those attacks cause it? I've killed numerous groups of enemies and this hasn't happened. Is there some effect of Burrower poison or the Spawn bites that isn't listed in the UI?

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Weird behavior using Sniper Rifle...??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:16:09 am »
You've taken the close range penalty into account, right?

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:07 am »
You've taken the close range penalty into account, right?

Correct. Both mobs are at roughly the same range, but the second round/mob the chance to hit goes down drastically, without me moving. It's happened a few times, both times with Burrowers. I'm wondering if something about the Burrower(poison) or Spawn(melee bite) attacks cause your CTH to go down.

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:59:42 am »
1. Light penalties? Try using night vision.
2. Enemies that are aware of you enjoy full evasion.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »
Explain this to me: I open with Snipe from stealth and kill a burrower. Chance to hit: 95%. I end my turn without moving, so I'm still Focused
It was the first turn, meaning there was no enemies next to you and you didn't suffer the close range penalty.

I take a couple hits from Spawn, and one of poison ranged attacks hits me. Next turn: my chance to hit another burrower at the same range is now ... 32% ??
If you took a few hits from the spawn, that means the spawn is next to you.

That in turn makes you suffer the close range penalty, which is 40% for all sniper rifles except Spearhead, Dragunov and those with a barrel refractor mod.

Also, while this is never said anywhere in the game, I found out that you lose any precision bonuses from mods if you suffer the close range or move penalites, so you don't get 10% from standard scope and/or 10% from bipod.

Were you using a Corsair/Harbinger/Reaper sniper rifle with scope and bipod? Because if that is the case, it makes sense more or less: 95- 40(close range penalty) - 10(no bonus from the bipod)- 10(no bonus from the scope) = 35. The remaining 3% were most likely due to lighting or some evasion shenanigans since no one really knows how it works exactly and sometimes it does some really weird rounding that can shift the result by a few %.

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
Ah, OK: if I'm understanding correctly, you are penalized for close range even if that isn't the mob you are aiming at, correct? I had thought that the penalty was only imposed if your target was too close. But it sounds like you are saying the penalty is applied any time that any enemy is near you. I guess that makes sense in a "I'm distracted by your nearness" kind of way. I had the real world issues with scoped firearms in my mind, ie with telescopic vision it's very hard to aim at something close to you. Didn't think about just the presence of a threatening enemy nearby.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:57:05 pm »
if I'm understanding correctly, you are penalized for close range even if that isn't the mob you are aiming at, correct?
Correct. The penalty applies as long as there is an enemy standing right next to you, regardless of the target you are aiming at.

I had the real world issues with scoped firearms in my mind, ie with telescopic vision it's very hard to aim at something close to you.
To me the lack of bipod/scope bonus could be attributed to that, since it's pretty hard to utilize either of those when running around or at point blank range. You are not going to get a proper sight picture in those situations and you can forget about getting into a positon that would make it possible to use a bipod.

The close range penalty would have more to do with the fact that it's simply hard to aim when there is something hostile breathing down your neck and trying to hug you, especially with sniper rifles since they are rather bulky, long, heavy and overall unwieldy compared to other firearms.

Makes sense to me, realistic enough to suspend my disbelief. It's not 100% realistic, but then again it's an RPG, not a simulator like ARMA or something.