Author Topic: Dialogue file reader  (Read 5195 times)

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Dialogue file reader
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:42 pm »
If some feature doesn't work or some line isn't detected, please post the dialogue file's name, and line that isn't detected below. thank you.

Hello. This is Reinhark.

For whatever reason I have created a .jar file for reading dialogue files.

This also collects lots of other nonsense mumbo-jumbo. But it still works like 50% of the time, but I think copy-paste feature, as well as not having to look at garbled txt file is worth it.

I hope this assist you in lore digging, translating and etc.

== How to use ==

Open .jar file.

Open the dialogue file in underrail. It is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Underrail\Data\Dialogs\Characters" for steam.
(making shortcut of this location in "my documents" is recommended.)

Press "Next dialogue" button to see if the file has been completely read and has next(if any) dialogue.

This file is extensively meant to be used as dialogue and interactable file reader. it won't work much with any other files.

[Display types](1.1.0 and onward)
Filtered(default): It is filtered "Raw" dialogue.
Player character response: It is your response.
Raw : Raw read of NPC dialogues. May contain nonsense.

[Save detected dialogue](1.1.3 and onward)
It will be saced as a text file named "[filename]_Cut_Dialogue.txt" where [filename] is same as the dialogue file you open.
It will be saved
Hopefully this will make reading and finding certain dialogue(with text editor ctrl+f) easier.

[Recent change log]
[1.1.3]
Accuracy ~90%? (Just waiting for future bugs to knock down this number a notch)
Fixed the error: dialogues being ignored if NPC has lots of things to say, like core city barkeep.(thank you 12 for bring attention to this issue)
Button that allows skip 5 dialogues per click added.(thank you again 12)
Now has saving function to save detected dialogue en mass.

[1.1.0]
Accuracy ~70%? (now it works properly)
Now it can read interactable files.
Now it can display the character response.
Set filtered dialogue display as default, since filtering is deemed perfected.

[Current known issues]
Short character response(shorter than 5 characters) will be ignored and cuase further problems. This is part of the design.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:04:30 pm by reinhark »
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

snake2243

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Dialogue file reader
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:02:39 pm »
hey thanks for the file man, sweet!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:18:20 pm by snake2243 »

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:02:09 pm »
It also works for other .udlg files such as computer consoles though many lines are missing.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:34:27 am »
It also works for other .udlg files such as computer consoles though many lines are missing.

Reading of the "Intractable" ones like computer consoles are something I want to add in the future. But for now, ineradicable display itself is quiet different from the dialogue files.
I do have solution in mind, but this will require me to rewrite majority of the file. This will take some time.

I will update thread when it becomes available.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 06:26:30 pm »
Updated, now it may read intractable object files.

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:20:25 pm »
I'd say about 60%  :D
Add a way to quickly reach the beginning and the end of file.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:10:02 pm »
I'd say about 60%  :D
Add a way to quickly reach the beginning and the end of file.

damn. Could you tell me which file you were opening, so appropriate fix can be applied?
I will also add new buttons in the future, as requested.(something like "skip 10 dialogue" or something)

Thank you.

Edit: mm. dialogue box doesn't have damn bars so dialogue gets cut. I will increase the box size as well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:19:20 pm by reinhark »

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 11:31:45 pm »
I tested it on cc_barkeep (Gene) and it could read 115 strings out of 191 (I think). Here's an example of a missing line: "He brings in a lot of girls to the bar. Very *attractive* girls."

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 05:20:18 pm »
I tested it on cc_barkeep (Gene) and it could read 115 strings out of 191 (I think). Here's an example of a missing line: "He brings in a lot of girls to the bar. Very *attractive* girls."

Fixed the issue of reader ignoring NPC with lots of things to say.
Also, added the save feature so you can save everything just into text file.

snake2243

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 06:06:45 pm »
Thanks for the reader man, appreciate the updates you put on it too.

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 11:22:22 am »
Cool, thank you very much for making this.

Is there any way to modify the dialogues? For that matter, can the .k files in the knowledge directory be read/modified? I can't find any information on this anywhere.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 03:42:01 pm »
Cool, thank you very much for making this.

Is there any way to modify the dialogues? For that matter, can the .k files in the knowledge directory be read/modified? I can't find any information on this anywhere.

Modification of dialogue is possible, but as far as I know it must follow the correct rules(main limitation being it must have same number of characters before and after the change). Translators seems to know the method to bypass this, so I'd suggest asking them.

.k files can be read for sure... Underrail unpacker, as pinned on the front page ( http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2753.0 ) has capability to un-pack .k files into readable format. (it can then be read with notepad)

Modifying them, now that is trickier. Unpacker is finicky at the best of times and it doesn't always re-pack. Even after packing it may not work correctly.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:47:06 pm by reinhark »

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 11:23:49 pm »
Unpacker is finicky at the best of times and it doesn't always re-pack. Even after packing it may not work correctly.

What do you mean it doesn't always re-pack? It should blindly pack anything that isn't an underrail archive, whether it's valid underrail data or not.

It does only one very simple thing as advertised: unpacking or repacking Underrail files. It does not undo/redo their serialization. The unpacked files are MS-NRBF binary data and thus not easily modifiable as is. Editing the unpacked data is the finicky part. :P

Also, the files packed by my tool are not byte-for-byte identical with those created by underrail.exe, but they are compatible. This is intentional.

I have observed that sometimes packing doesn't... do anything. It will say that packing is complete but when you download it, the file will have 0 size.

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »

There are a couple of mostly-functional udlg editors on teh internets, but you may need to leave the anglosphere to find them, as they are made by french and russian translators.

May I ask why you want to modify the knowledge files?
Similar reasons for why I'm interested in modifying udlg files - typo correction/general small time game tweaking options. (Well, I assume the .k files include item descriptions and the like, anyway, for all that they're wholly unreadable when compiled.)

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 01:17:51 pm »
Similar reasons for why I'm interested in modifying udlg files - typo correction/general small time game tweaking options. (Well, I assume the .k files include item descriptions and the like, anyway, for all that they're wholly unreadable when compiled.)

The .k files mostly contain dynamic text related to game mechanics. Unfortunately fluff text like item descriptions are all over the place and some of them would be very hard to mod. Most static items have item definition files of their own, but some items like keys are defined locally inside map files and texts for generated/crafted dynamic items are directly in the executable.

Oh, I see. Well, that makes localisation and stuff tricky...