Underrail > Suggestions

Shadowrun Returns-style healing?

(1/1)

TheAverageGortsby:
I get that too much healing takes away from the resource management metagame.  But with the 50% base health reduction psi characters will be looking at in veteran levels, even small hits will pull them out of the regen range.  Moderate ones will take them out of bandaging range as well.  Maybe a dedicated psi character could be able to have roughly the same med reliance of a 10+ Con battering ram?

A stitch in time:  heals x% of the damage taken in the last hit (up to 75% perhaps?).  long cooldown.

Any big hit would still be brought back into bandaging range, and small hits might still come back to regen range, as long as the combat was handled well and not may hits were taken.  Because high armor, high Con builds will tend to take less damage per hit, this sort of ability would scale favorably toward flimsier characters, which don't get to benefit often from regen.

I know there's a sort of healing ability in the upcoming psi school, but it looks more like it's designed for abuse w/r/t Implosion echoes or morphine chains or some such.   A pure heal that can only undo part of the last damage taken wouldn't remove the need for healing consumables, and would still be only situationally useful (burst fire hit you?  Too bad.)

Tygrende:

--- Quote ---But with the 50% base health reduction psi characters will be looking at in veteran levels
--- End quote ---
The sheer power full psi builds have more than makes up for the base 25% health penalty.

Advanced Psi Empathy decreases the cost of all psi abilities by 20%, which is a huge boost to both your offensive and defensive capabilites. I ca't say if it's worth another 25% health penalty yet, but considering psi gets so much crowd control options you get barely hit right now, I would say it's going to be worth it.

Health penalty and all the problems that come with it are one of the very few actual drawbacks full psi builds have. I really don't think it's a good idea to compensate for something they are supposed to struggle with. That would just make them close to perfect all across the board.

--- Quote --- But with the 50% base health reduction psi characters will be looking at in veteran levels, even small hits will pull them out of the regen range.  Moderate ones will take them out of bandaging range as well.
--- End quote ---
That's why Doctor feat exists.

--- Quote ---A stitch in time:  heals x% of the damage taken in the last hit (up to 75% perhaps?).  long cooldown.
--- End quote ---
Considering psi have much smaller health pool, you can easily achieve this with a single hypo, especially if you take biology to make super hypos and stack healing received bonuses.

TheAverageGortsby:
Right.  I understand all those things, but none of them relate to my question and proposed solution.  Are you saying that there's a tacit assumption that psi builds should expect to need more chems and to take specific feats?  Dedicated psi builds have fewer skill points to throw around then builds that eschew psi entirely, so it's even harder to afford the points to pump Bio to cook your own, and especially Tranquility builds will need to use them often to cover even the slightest of mistakes.  And sometimes not even mistakes.

My first playthrough was a dedicated psi character and he seemed pretty good.  Then I tried a stealth sniper and thought, hm, psi builds are actually really powerful.  Then just for laughs I made a 10 STR 10 CON hammer maniac and ROFLstomped the game.  The dude disarms mines by stepping on them and regenerating their paltry damage.  Combats are a primer in Dwarven fighting style.  "OK, I'll run up to him and hit him.  Then, I'll run over to him, and hit him."

As it is, with 25% health reduction, there's no struggle with health.  Pop a syringe and move along.  But until I tried something else I didn't realize how much it slowed down the game.  Go do trading rounds to pick up more hypos since almost every lurker gets one shot in before it falls.  Almost every group fight will have someone who gets a lucky grenade off, or your damage rolls will be bad and they'll get in close enough to get a hit in.  And with 50% health reduction, the struggle will be dead/not dead.  Not so much dead/hurt/actually quite fine thanks.  If higher med use and heavy weighting of Doctor is expected for Psi builds, no problem - it's what I was doing anyway with Psi builds.  But a four-school psi build with half health?  Sounds like it'll be pretty limited.  So I wondered if the idea of making error control available for the glass cannons, as it is for tanks, was interesting.  Perhaps it was not.

Shamoke:
I'm not sure I understand the need for another source of healing. Is it abnormal that I'm swimming in healing items near the end of the game? I tend to store a couple hundred in my loot barrel so I don't get weighed down and often sell extras to doctors since I know I'll never need so many. I've only played as glass cannons like pure psi and sniper so when I get hit it hurts but almost every human enemy carries healing items so even if I'm taking damage and needing to heal I'm still finding more than I use.

As far as that new feat to give a 20% psi cost reduction in exchange for losing another 25% max hp goes, psi has been doing just fine without it all this time so I don't see the point in even taking it.

TheAverageGortsby:

--- Quote from: Shamoke on March 04, 2017, 01:00:51 am ---Is it abnormal that I'm swimming in healing items near the end of the game?

--- End quote ---
I don't know.  I was constantly running out of them on my psi character until I started doing shopping runs between city hubs; it's what prompted the topic.  If most people experience a supply surplus like you did, then the problem is just that I suck at the game.  That's not hard to believe =)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version