Author Topic: Strange Markings...  (Read 3592 times)

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
Strange Markings...
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:08:51 pm »
Anyone care to reveal to me what the heck this is??????
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867892527

Could've sworn that it wasn't there until one of these recent patches, unless I'm growing senile..!
Already dumped a slab of TNT on it, Mk. 3 Hand Grenade etc. and nothing to it.
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Markings...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:58 pm »
It's a secret to everybody.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:50:09 pm by Altos »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:18:46 am »
Yeah, so far found two of them.
I'll try to drink mushroom brew while standing on it, who knows where it might lead me.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:38 am »
Greetings, zoners. I have discovered some clues while... digging around the files for more clues, and indeed I have discovered something.

[deleted because reasons]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:42:49 pm by reinhark »
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:27:40 am »
I thought I told you guys not to share esoteric knowledge with the public. Do not be surprised if tomorrow you find your dialog files encrypted!

Altos

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:30 pm »
Damn it, reinhark! At least use spoiler tags!

And yeah, you should probably encrypt them, Styg. It will make things like translations and proof-reading far more difficult, but at least things like this won't happen again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:24:17 pm by Altos »

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 04:45:24 pm »
I thought I told you guys not to share esoteric knowledge with the public. Do not be surprised if tomorrow you find your dialog files encrypted!

Sorry, I didn't know. The results will be deleted.

As a very inquisitive person I doubt encryption will be effective. Still, it would be good safety measure.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:49:45 pm »
The comment was made half-jokingly. ;)

Though I do dislike this sort of casual posting of game's secrets, especially if they are not even in the game yet.

STEN

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:17 pm »

And yeah, you should probably encrypt them, Styg. It will make things like translations and proof-reading far more difficult, but at least things like this won't happen again.

YEah, cut-out all those ppl who still wait for  all localisation projects to complete and can't play yet. Great idea. Definitely.

Altos

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 09:38:58 pm »

YEah, cut-out all those ppl who still wait for  all localisation projects to complete and can't play yet. Great idea. Definitely.

My apologies. I suppose as a native English speaker, I can't understand how immensely aggravating it must be to love a game that's only available in English. I made that suggestion only to safeguard those who go on these forums and have not yet played much of the game (or read through the dialogue files, for that matter). I know first-hand how off-putting it can be to have big surprises ruined in a game like this, and I'd hate to see that done to another, for whatever reason.

Speaking of localization projects, does anyone know how those are progressing--or if they even still exist? It's evident, especially on the Steam Forums, that Underrail has a very global audience across many languages, but unfortunately I cannot recall ever seeing anyone actively working to translate this wonderful game, at least not since the full release.
If I remember correctly, Styg, you guys wanted to wait until the release to begin working on any sort of official translation. Now that it's been over a year, has there been any progress on that front? It would be a shame for this game to remain English-only.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread is relatively spoiler-free again. Thanks for editing your post, reinhark. :)

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 07:54:26 am »
The issue would be that people simply do not have support or programming skills to modify dialogue files.

For example, this is what people have to work with.(Arlene's dialogue file)
http://imgur.com/cLsBKi0

It isn't exactly pleasant thing to work with, especially with amount to dialogue and no special tools to aid the task.
Not to mention that just replacing the dialogue to another language will simply break NPC. There are rules(like character numbers per dialogue to follow) and most people won't even know what it is.

If there are any people who are working on translation, it has to be through Styg. No other way around it, unless you want to limit your translating severely.

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 11:04:45 pm »
The Russian translation is nearing completion now, don't know about any other similar projects.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 08:58:11 am »

That's the Styg I love!

The comment was made half-jokingly. ;)

...and this one too. )
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:12:43 am by Fenix »