Author Topic: Balance XP progression  (Read 1649 times)

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Balance XP progression
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:46 am »
Right now classic mode is too imbalanced in my opinion, you can reach level cap long before final area and in my opinion it's a big downside because it breaks sense of progression for many people. Ans yes technically you can reach level 24 at least with oddities, but that means exploring every inch of the map and making every quest there is. It requires effort and knowledge. While with classic reaching level cap doesn't require all that much effort, you don't even need to grind respawning mobs or explore all that much.

Maybe less XP for killing and more from quests and oddities?

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Balance XP progression
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:05:56 pm »
Right now classic mode is too imbalanced in my opinion, you can reach level cap long before final area and in my opinion it's a big downside because it breaks sense of progression for many people.
I agree with that. Classic is definetly not balanced nearly as well as oddity, it really feels like an afterthought (I am aware that classic was in fact first, but it didn't get nearly as much love as oddity later on).

Ans yes technically you can reach level 24 at least with oddities, but that means exploring every inch of the map and making every quest there is.
I don't agree with that, I feel like balance in oddity is as good as it can possibly be. I actually played the game by exploring every inch of the map, collecting (nearly) all oddities in the entire game and doing almost all quests possible. I ended up with exactly 100 xp over the level cap, which would be enough to level up 3 more times. That meas you can easily reach the level cap by missing a lot of oddites and quests.

It requires effort and knowledge.
What exactly is wrong with that? Exploration, effort and knowledge need to be rewarded. You can still reach the level cap with limited exploration/knowledge/effort, you would need to pretty much breeze through the game ignoring most of the optional content to not reach it. Seems perfectly fair to me.

While with classic reaching level cap doesn't require all that much effort, you don't even need to grind respawning mobs or explore all that much.
Which I find to be pretty unbalanced. I fee like classic and oddity should have roughly the same curve. It should be a choice between the method of gaining XP, not the speed of it. As it is now classic is basically an easier game mode.

Maybe less XP for killing and more from quests and oddities?
I think the XP gain on classic should be simply scaled down to match the speed on oddity.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:50:23 pm »
I don't agree with that, I feel like balance in oddity is as good as it can possibly be.

Exploration, effort and knowledge need to be rewarded.

That was basically what i was telling. While you CAN (almost) reach level cap before final area with oddities, it requires a lot of effort, knowledge and so on. It felt balanced, unlike classic mode where you can easily reach level cap even before finishing core city quests.

It seems you tried to argue with opinion i didn't express ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:54:34 pm by MirddinEmris »

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:53:55 pm »
I ended up with exactly 100 xp over the level cap, which would be enough to level up 3 more times.

Eh, more like 1.5 levels. If i remember correctly you need something like 60xp to get 26 lvl.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:41:25 am »
Eh, more like 1.5 levels. If i remember correctly you need something like 60xp to get 26 lvl
Correct, that's what the UI shows at least since we can't reach level 26 yet.

But I was talking more in the context of how much you can afford to miss to still reach the level cap.