Author Topic: Please help suggest a nefarious poison-character? :)  (Read 3992 times)

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Please help suggest a nefarious poison-character? :)
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:01:04 pm »
Hello!

The Hypertoxicity perk, and the different poisons fascinates me. So I'd love to play a character built around the use of poisons! :)

Unfortunately, I am not seeing how to do this so easy, as poison seems to be kind of a special-case help tool rather than a primary attack.

So, perhaps some kind person can help suggest me a good poison build to craft and apply horrible afflictions upon my enemies?

Djpuffnstuff

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Please help suggest a nefarious poison-character? :)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:20:38 am »
Well traps are a given, but I suppose throwing weapons since crossbow can poison yea, but you will rely more  high damage shots and throwing you can throw enough knives to apply multiply stacks of poison and kill them with just poison damage.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:25:43 pm »
And both traps and throwing benefit from DEX.

Xbows are not bad for this as they have good range and accuracy (scope). They also synergize with traps.

Robots won't care about your poisons so stealth and hacking can be useful.

Metal boots or Sure Step for avoiding your own caltrops is something to consider.

BTW caltrops can't be coated with every poison because reasons.

Now i want knives to be poisonable ):

Djpuffnstuff

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:58:43 pm »
I made a suggestion on something similar, I hope they basically combine bleeding and poison damage in some way like bleeding procs can increase poison damage. Also smearing poison elder scrolls style would be awesome.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:13:34 pm »
Ok, so I have thought about this some more, and will try a build with poisoned bear traps, poisined throwing knives, and a SMG for backup and to mop up. Stealth, evasion, running away and high Con for defense. Also stunning/tazing/netting/incapacitation options to let the poison do its job, rather than finishing the combat in one turn.
Tips are welcome.

Question: I only want throwing decently high, to not miss much with those knives ot nets. Also to throw some (crafted) flashbang grenades with good accuracy to incapacitate.
-How much to invest in this skill?

Firestalker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:05:37 am »
For grenade throwing I would take around (80) effective skill it's around 45base with 10dex assuming you go full in +++Dex. Wouldn't be that savescumy.
For knife throwing im not sure but I believe it has to be much higher. I guess throwing a knife at someones head has to be more accurate than tossing a grenade at someone.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:27:55 am by Firestalker »

Firestalker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:45 am »
Would suggest a build like this maybe:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhBmECMAWEB2OICcH0NjJGcMNGBYCEADnSgDYS6UFpFWqGozXjeSJKrCOgjZYDWFTjYkUrmkqp4qbFXiZYQA
huxkey for 135/135

This would have more of a focus on smg's first turn rape fest than poison and disable

Gear:
Infused Siphoners Leather Armor 15% armor penality (soft padded with Kevlar coat or Black Cloth) Infused Siphoner Tabi
Steelcat 8.6mm with Smart Module, and Muzzle
Jaguar 7.6mm  with Smart Module, and Muzzle
Jaguar 5mm  with Smart Module, and Muzzle (possibly Silencer instead of Muzzle)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another suggestion would be dumping smg's altogether and going for a pure knife thrower build:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhBmECMA2RoAsdMHYyNjcXJATjxgA4UoFcpyyHKQoYF9dDOQIJuYIcEUrBSx6sUmnpYaWXuRrl6xeMTRA
huxkey for 135/135
I would go for as much dex as possible as dex reduces the ap cost of throwing knifes
I guess it would be interesting but more challenging also im not sure how many enemies are poison immune in the game

with feats like
Blitz (convert all movement into action points pop adrenalin = more knife throwing = more split spare = more poison = more suffering for the damned)
Pinning (seems cool to poison them and than pin them while running away, if you get suprised and are unable to lay some bear traps beforhand)
Split Spare (multiple Poisoning with one throw)
Fatal throw (finisher for ap reg so you are able to keep throwing would be your mop up)
maybe ripper (but I don't think this would be a crit heavy build)
Quickpockets (could be worth it, you got more slots for more knifes/grenades + ap cost reduction for equiping if you run out)

Gearwise I would wear the same as above. Start out with a tacvest and switch later on to infused leather

Skillwise put the gun skillpoints fully into throwing, evasion, stealth, mechanics, Electronics and Tailoring

You could use crawler poison caltrops for stunning, bear traps for immobilise and posion stacks + gas grenade/Split Spare than hide wait for dot ticks and fatal throw everyone to death. Don't forget to mix in some caveear poison for that 50% more dmg. Keep some Emp's rdy for robots.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:48:26 am by Firestalker »

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:32:26 pm »
Hey thanks!

I guess only trial and error will show if you need a very high throwing skill to hit with throwing knives contra grenade.

-But Hypertoxicity, does it work with Gas Grenades??

-And is there any way to see hit chance with a throwing net?

Firestalker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:33 pm »
hey,
If you like to go with throwing knifes you should max throwing anyways as it also increases the dmg of them. For Grenades Im sure that you don't need a high skill. I mean you could even go with 0 throwing and just savescam until you hit the grenade. If you aren't a fan of many reloads just stick with around 80 for grenades.

From wiki
"A Throwing Knife is a cheap throwing weapon. Unlike most throwing utilities, the damage of throwing knives scales with thrower's Throwing skill. Their damage starts at 8-9 with zero throwing skill, increases to 28-49 at 135 skill, 38-69 at 203 skill.

Throwing knives are light weapons and thus benefit from Dexterity AP cost reduction. "

"Toxic Gas Grenade is a type of gas grenade. Gas grenades release their gas slowly over 10 turns (or 50 seconds) and it dissipates slowly after that. The Toxic Gas cloud deals bio damage to anyone standing in it or walking through it.

Contact with toxic gas causes Contaminated debuff, which increases all damage taken by 10% and can stack up to 20 times, increasing damage taken by 200%. "

of course you can use any grenade as hypertoxicity does not increase the dmg of gas grenades but I kinda thought it works with the tick dmg theme as it also increase the dmg taken the longer they stand inside it. I think with a couple poison beartraps, caltrops, some lucky pinning knifes and a gas grenade on top the poison dmg can theoretically reach insane lvls (50% caveear, 100% Hypertoxicity, 10%-200% form gas Grenade). On the other hand you could just burst kill with frags, or have some fun with cryogrenades which slows them and even turns them into popsicles.

About the throwing net: I thought it shows the hit chance if you press the button and hover over the enemy. Not sure about that thou, gotta check later when Im home from work. I wouldn't use it anyway as there are far better uses for the limited utility space as it kinda gets full if you use Knife, Poison Knife, Gas Grenade, Flashbang and maybe something else like caltrops with Quickpockets. Utility belt is very useful for here too.

Sorry for the rambling, kinda got excited myself.  :D
Anyways if anybody knows better than me or is seeing a mistake pls correct me!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:35:02 pm by Firestalker »