Author Topic: Dev Log #12: Grenade Changes and Item Durability  (Read 19620 times)

Dickie

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #12: Grenade Changes and Item Durability
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:33 pm »
I personally don't think crafting for profit is a good mechanic.  I like crafted items to (a) be better than anything available to buy or loot (weapons and armor), and/or (b) free to make instead of buy (PSI boosters, healing).  If you take those two advantages, then throw in selling them for a lot of money too, it's overpowered.
I concur with this view. I'm going to hold off on judging the equipment degradation and multiple lockpicks until I see them in action. I am a bit worried, but Styg seems competent to me. Even if it totally sucks and I never play the game again (I really hope this isn't the case), I've already gotten my $10 worth anyway.

Well, look at the crafting though the eyes of a Merchant, he would of gone about, buying tools, parts and the such and creating the stuff he sells (unless its stuff previously acquired)
I don't think most merchants create their own goods. I think it's usually bringing things from where they're plentiful to where they're not.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:52:44 pm by Dickie »

WolveNZ

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Good Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 01:47:59 am »
Guess it would really depend on the Merchant, vendor or whatever you would want to call them

As someone has to make all the Health Hypo's, Grenades etc... for everyone to buy, And being able to play that role is just an added boost to the game, something that im unarwear of in other games

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 01:55:26 am »
multiple lockpicks...

...works wonderful, I was a bit worried at first when I read about it but once I got to play the new release I really liked it.

As for crafting4profit, I think it would only make sense for crafted material to sell well, as long as the balance between material found vs amount of items crafted is well thought out. If it is, then I don't see an issue, BUT if materials are obtained as easy as they are in the current versions then crafting4profit would be an issue for sure. I'd say let's wait and see how the next version runs, then get to a conclusion. :)

WolveNZ

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Good Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 02:28:29 am »
I think it all depends on your perspective, as in my last full play-though I ran out of SGS Credits, and didnt want to spend all of my whatever the other currency was called on TnT and the such. So, I started Making armour suits out of the Mutant Dog leather, Rathound and the such to pay for my Addictions to Snorting TnT and Hex (Well, the Vendors musta seen it like that xD) it worked pretty well, as once you factor in the effort of finding the animal, killing him, ammunition cost, Medical Cost and your own time it works out pretty well, crafting for profit.

Now, adding in Padding and the such did really help make more cash, once a Degradation system is all balanced out I think it will all be good, of course it wont be instantly Awesome, but it will get balanced out more at some later stage I would think.

screeg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:43:03 pm »
So, I started Making armour suits out of the Mutant Dog leather, Rathound and the such ...
That reminds me of something else!  Crafting aside, the value of rathound hides is outrageous.  With no talent at all I was scoring big time, every time, just from killing dogs.  In the new version with respawning enemies (which sounds like a good idea!), that also means respawning credits.  Hard to balance this stuff when components are worth so damn much money.

Aivaras

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 01:53:19 pm »
I might be too late here but what about:

Using explosives would damage targets items. So the more you use grenades the less valuable loot you get. It could balance their power a bit. I think Arcanum had such a system.