Author Topic: Underrail wiki?  (Read 64629 times)

Pumpkins

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Underrail wiki?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
like Epeli said, leave the main page edits to someone more experienced in that and just add content pages.. but before we start uploading all information we need to make infoboxes for characters,items, weapons, armors.

and we need to get the right colors.. are we going to stick with purple, black and orange??

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 08:37:07 PM »
I don't have them in separate files but I can split them into that. However, some icons are multi part with variable transparency so  that you'd have to get from the game directly.

Game text is a bit all over the place, unfortunately, and you won't be able to extract it that easily because I don't use XNA's default pipeline for anything but sound and graphics I think.

Btw, how much does Wikia actually help with creating content/layouts? I have MediaWiki installed on my site if you guys would rather work with that.
Huh. I guess that explains why I was able to export only PNG files from Underrail's XNBs.

My opinion is probably heavily biased, but Wikia isn't any better than mediawiki. Its wiki syntax should be identical, so simply copypasting content from wikia to a mediawiki even at a later point won't be a problem.

There are some ready-to-use videogame-related infobox templates in wikia. We'll have to edit them in any case to fit our needs. That's all, as far as I know. I don't have much experience in getting a new wiki started from ground up, though.

Layout-wise, no idea. I use MonoBook(mediawiki's default skin) instead of Wikia's default layout when editing so I don't even know what it looks like for the average user... T_T
Personally, I think it would be the best if you ran your own mediawiki and set it to use modified version of your site's stylesheet as default skin. Wiki editors shouldn't be concerned with the CSS, but rather with adding, organizing and updating content.

Oh, and wikia's WYSIWYG editors seems to add a lot of HTML to the pages. That might discourage editors used to wiki syntax only.

Just my 0.02
[[Underrail Wiki]] // character build tool: underrail.info.tm (thread)

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 09:09:23 PM »
1. I worked on the GearHead wiki for several years and was very much dismayed when one day all the data got lost and was not backed up. On the other hand, Wikia has staff on hand to fix things when they go broke. And they presumably do regular backups.
2. The GearHead wiki also suffered from large numbers of spambots that cluttered up the site with male enhancement adverts and the like. These had to be trimmed by hand by dedicated users and was a major pain in the ass. Wikia probably has better security to keep this from happening.
3. Users who already have a Wikia account for one of the many other wikis hosted there will not have to create and remember yet another user account.
4. Wikia likely also updates periodically to the latest version of MediaWiki, saving our admins from having to perform this risky maneuver.

Of course Wikia has tons of advertisements that get annoying fast.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:12:11 PM by posfan12 »

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »
1. I worked on the GearHead wiki for several years and was very much dismayed when one day all the data got lost and was not backed up. On the other hand, Wikia has staff on hand to fix things when they go broke. And they presumably do regular backups.
2. The GearHead wiki also suffered from large numbers of spambots that cluttered up the site with male enhancement adverts and the like. These had to be trimmed by hand by dedicated users and was a major pain in the ass. Wikia probably has better security to keep this from happening.
3. Users who already have a Wikia account for one of the many other wikis hosted there will not have to create and remember yet another user account.
4. Wikia likely also updates periodically to the latest version of MediaWiki, saving our admins from having to perform this risky maneuver.

Of course Wikia has tons of advertisements that get annoying fast.

1. I think underrail.com's hosting provider (HostGator, right?) has an acceptable backup policy (weekly backups) but they do recommend users to take their own backups, though.
2. Underrail.com wiki accounts could be tied to underrail.com forum accounts.
3. See point 2.
4. Valid concern, running a wiki would be extra work for Styg in any case.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 10:17:07 PM »
I don't have time right now to make templates, etc.

I'm just asking if you're guys going to the trouble of doing it anyway, could you do it on MediaWiki that I hosted.

@epeli About point 2. do you know for a fact that MediaWiki can integrate with SMF or are you assuming?

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
@epeli About point 2. do you know for a fact that MediaWiki can integrate with SMF or are you assuming?

http://blogs.simplemachines.org/dev/461612/SMF+MediaWiki+integration+released.html

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
item infobox templates!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:57 AM »
I made some tentative item infobox templates:

http://underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Infobox_item for items in general
http://underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Infobox_weapon for weapons
http://underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Infobox_component for components
http://underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Infobox_armor for armor

Each page has syntax help and an example how to use. Let me know what you think!
http://underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Health_Hypo here's also a practical example of a page utilizing the generic item infobox

Their code should also be quite simple to read (simple wikitables with if parser function), in case you want to modify them or make more infobox templates for specific item types.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:14:06 AM by epeli »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »

http://blogs.simplemachines.org/dev/461612/SMF+MediaWiki+integration+released.html

Cool, I'll take a look.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: item infobox templates!
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »
I made some tentative item infobox templates:

http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_item for items in general
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_weapon for weapons
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_component for components
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_armor for armor

Each page has syntax help and an example how to use. Let me know what you think!
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Health_hypo here's also a practical example of a page utilizing the generic item infobox

Their code should also be quite simple to read (simple wikitables with if parser function), in case you want to modify them or make more infobox templates for specific item types.

These look pretty cool. One of the problems with the generated/crafted items such as weapons and armors is that their stats are not constant but rather depend on the quality of the items used when crafting them (or generating them in the background which uses the same process). I guess on the pages for those items there could be a few samples of the variations and a link to the blueprint page where there would be explanations how each component influences the resulting item. I could fill up the latter.

When components are concerned quality of each of these falls into certain ranged, e.g. Cave Hopper leather caps at 25 quality or something. I can fill up this exact range when you guys make a page for the component.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 01:28:57 AM »
Yeah, those infoboxes just mimic the in-game infobox.
I figured they could be used for samples of items with dynamic quality. Their stat ranges and other metainfo such as stackability, vendors who sell it, etc. could be explained on the item page after the infobox. Or the infoboxes themselves could just contain the stat ranges?

Aaaand how should we paginate items with complex crafting recipes?
Probably have a page for the main item, eg. 5mm Hawker and redirect 5mm Hawker LS, XM and LS XM to it. Then list all the possible optional components for the item and their effects, OR just link into the blueprint to avoid redundant redundancy.

Speaking of which, blueprint infobox would probably be the next one. Any ideas on how to do that?
http://underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Infobox_blueprint is what I came up with, but it needs more work to look acceptable.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:14:58 AM by epeli »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 01:56:47 AM »
Yeah, those infoboxes just mimic the in-game infobox.
I figured they could be used for samples of items with dynamic quality. Their stat ranges and other metainfo such as stackability, vendors who sell it, etc. could be explained on the item page after the infobox. Or the infoboxes themselves could just contain the stat ranges?

Aaaand how should we paginate items with complex crafting recipes?
Probably have a page for the main item, eg. 5mm Hawker and redirect 5mm Hawker LS, XM and LS XM to it. Then list all the possible optional components for the item and their effects, OR just link into the blueprint to avoid redundant redundancy.

Speaking of which, blueprint infobox would probably be the next one. Any ideas on how to do that?
http://underrail.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Infobox_blueprint is what I came up with, but it needs more work to look acceptable.

In the Hawker case I think it would just be fine to link to "Hawker" pistol and then mention the main variations (caliber) and the main part required (Hawker pistol frame) and for all the extensions etc just link to the blueprint. Then redirect all the possible hawkers to hawker page.

About the blueprint infobox, you can add icons and names from the in game blueprint (I can provide you with icons). For optional components you'll want to specify the difficulty modifier.

Btw, I tried that SMF-MediaWiki integration and couldn't get it to work. I'll try some more tomorrow, but it seems that extension hasn't been updated for quite some time.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:08 AM »
In the Hawker case I think it would just be fine to link to "Hawker" pistol and then mention the main variations (caliber) and the main part required (Hawker pistol frame) and for all the extensions etc just link to the blueprint. Then redirect all the possible hawkers to hawker page.

About the blueprint infobox, you can add icons and names from the in game blueprint (I can provide you with icons). For optional components you'll want to specify the difficulty modifier.

Btw, I tried that SMF-MediaWiki integration and couldn't get it to work. I'll try some more tomorrow, but it seems that extension hasn't been updated for quite some time.

Silly me, I forgot the caliber is just another variable decided by a component! Yes, definitely should do it like you said.

I'll try to improve the blueprint infobox somehow, probably need to use divs instead of wikitables to format it properly... and thanks for mentioning the difficulty modifier, I had totally missed it being a variable... despite it being highlighted in the game and everything. D'oh.

Well, I started making a custom monobook skin for the wiki, it looks something like this.
Anyone interested can try it out by logging in to wikia and setting their layout to monobook from user preferences.

I left external links blue and changed the background from two alternating colors to one static color to avoid possible flickering on some screens. Other than that, it's pretty much the underrail.com color theme on mediawiki standard layout. I left most of the wikia-only features untouched, so you may encounter some ugly white areas (eg. user preferences, user walls.)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:31:54 PM by epeli »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
Looks awesome. That should definitely be the default look.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:48 AM »
Looks awesome. That should definitely be the default look.

Thanks, but unfortunately that is impossible in Wikia :(

I can only make the skin default for logged in users who have set their layout preference to Monobook. I'll do that once I fix a few special pages and clean the CSS up a bit.

There is no official way nor workaround(afaik) to force monobook as a wikia's default skin, although it has been requested countless times over the years.
Many wikis have moved out of wikia because of this and various other problems.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »
I've got MediaWiki up a while back. You can access it at www.underrail.com/wiki.

So if you're up for it, make an account there and I'll give you the rights so you try can migrate the css, templates and what content currently is on wikia there.

EDIT: Couldn't make the SMF integration to work, so we'll go for separate accounts for now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:52:30 PM by Styg »