Author Topic: Underrail wiki?  (Read 61924 times)

SadBaxter

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Underrail wiki?
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »
Given that pages for items have a maximum of 8 tabs for item examples, and given how many different combinations of components there are for various items, should we just start putting what 50 quality item components do on the main item page?

Like, on the page for leather armor I could add "A 50 quality black cloth overcoat adds 17 stealth and 0.5 weight to any leather armor it is added to", and something similar for 50 quality soft padding (because I found 50 quality soft padding as well, yay).

It could also be added to the page for the item itself, as from what I see a component will always add the same benefits/drawbacks if it's used in the same way no matter what the resulting item is, a 50 quality black cloth added in the overcoat slot will always provide 17 stealth and 0.5 weight.

Just asking in the interest of consistency in style/presentation.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
Good questions. I would also like to hear if Styg has any suggestions for his wiki.

Given that pages for items have a maximum of 8 tabs for item examples, and given how many different combinations of components there are for various items, should we just start putting what 50 quality item components do on the main item page?

The number of tabs allowed in the tabbed infobox can be easily increased, but in practice there isn't much horizontal space on top of the infobox. I just tweaked the tabber css a bit to compress the tabs, but it's still not much space unless the examples have very short names like 1, 2, 3, ... n.

Setting the example quality to 50 was an arbitrary decision - we just wanted all examples to be of same quality so they would be comparable, and at that time all dynamic components were available at q50 or close to that.

Styg's take on this thing (emphasis added):
One of the problems with the generated/crafted items such as weapons and armors is that their stats are not constant but rather depend on the quality of the items used when crafting them (or generating them in the background which uses the same process). I guess on the pages for those items there could be a few samples of the variations and a link to the blueprint page where there would be explanations how each component influences the resulting item. I could fill up the latter.

That's the design I've been trying to implement. But in addition to that, the article body text of most crafted items also gives an overview of the possible variations. So anyone browsing the wiki can  get a rough idea what sort of item variations can exist without checking both blueprint/component pages. Blueprint/component pages can have further details on crafting and the components.

Exact stats of a component could be on the component page. Examples: Scope (static component) and Sturdy Vest (dynamic component).

This information can be also copied to blueprint pages as necessary, though having it only in one place makes updating easier whenever changes happen. Right now the wiki is using ComponentGroup template to transclude component/blueprint lists between multiple blueprint/component pages so they're effortless to edit while Underrail is under active development. Once the game is finished, I'll have my bot substitute all references to {{ComponentGroup}} with the transcluded text, so the lists on blueprint/component pages can be directly & easily edited and made more detailed for each blueprint.
[[Underrail Wiki]] // character build tool: underrail.info.tm (thread)

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »

The number of tabs allowed in the tabbed infobox can be easily increased, but in practice there isn't much horizontal space on top of the infobox. I just tweaked the tabber css a bit to compress the tabs, but it's still not much space unless the examples have very short names like 1, 2, 3, ... n.

Hey, how about having multiple tabbed infoboxes on pages that need a lot of examples to cover the basic variants? Pages that need a lot of examples tend to also have longer body text so there's a lot of unused screen estate on the right side.

Take a look at Leather Armor for an example. I made some samples of infused armors and put them into a second tabbed infobox.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
From the wiki:
Normal registration and anonymous editing are currently disabled due to spambots. We're planning to open the wiki once Underrail is released.

When will wiki be opened for general public?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »
From the wiki:
Normal registration and anonymous editing are currently disabled due to spambots. We're planning to open the wiki once Underrail is released.

When will wiki be opened for general public?

When I get the time to ensure that we won't be overrun by bots again. If you want an account, I can set up one for you. Just tell me what nick you'd want.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2016, 11:32:24 PM »
Sent you PM with the info...

Izual

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Metathermics Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
I created the Metathermics, Thought Control and Psychokinesis pages complete with a list of all (?) psi abilities of each discipline. Next step is creating and adding relevant info to each ability's article.

Please feel free to contact me should anything be wrong or missing on these articles.

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2016, 03:24:06 AM »
I created a "panorama" JPG image of all of the "Original Report" & "Important Dates" dialogs (after having gotten caught not remembering or having noted the answer to a question about it when I could not get back to that location to look it up).

The "dialogs" are not whole game-window captures - they're just rectangular snips of the dialog boxes.

As it might be useful to others, is it something that has a place on the wiki?

The "good" quality image is 1029 x 8671 size=2.8MB.
The "30%" quality image is 1029 x 8671 size=630KB.

(Both sizes too large for these forums, so.. no attachment here)
(A "4%" quality image is the highest QL my IrfanView can make under 128KB; and is nearly unreadable).

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2016, 06:39:54 AM »
Good idea, but it would probably be better as text. I'll grab it from the dialog files. Can you post your images on imgur or somewhere? I'll check them so I don't miss anything.

Now, on the wiki, how about:
- new quest page "Get into to Cytosene Outpost" or something along those lines (link to it from the other dc tchortist quests and cytosine outpost)
- new lore page for the Original Report (link to it from any relevant articles: institute, tchortists, the aforementioned quest, etc)

edit: ok, I copypasted the tchortist lore texts to wiki.
http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tchortists#History_of_Tchortism
http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Original_Report

Someone should probably make articles for the remaining DC quests at some point. Nearly all existing quest pages will also need improvement. They're getting increasingly outdated with patches adding new ways to handle quests. And I'm not very good at writing sensible walkthrough stuff.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:41:01 AM by epeli »

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »
Looking into Original Report in the wiki, I really miss old Underrail font. :(

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
I don't share that sentiment after working with that awful font, lol. Every single OS/browser renders it a bit differently, it looks awful at nearly all sizes, and some glyphs are barely legible even on the few sizes that look mostly ok.

But I guess there's no reason to change the font on wiki and underrail.info.tm. :)

Ninjaxenomorph

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:49 PM »
Something I noticed was that there's very little information about making reinforced boots.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »
I did some quick improvements (off the top of my head) to Blueprint: Boots and Boots.

I don't remember the exact numbers of armor penalty/weight, but it depends on the type of reinforcement metal plates. I can add the numbers later. And the extra resistances vary, based on the type and quality of the metal plates.

Better infobox examples... someday.

PS. if you want to edit the wiki, just let me know and we'll make you an account.

TrueNeutralEvGenius

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Misanthrope. Nihilist. Cynic.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch channel
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2016, 02:12:55 PM »
Fix Cybernetic Module oddity on wiki. From 5 xp to 3 xp.
Connoisseur of Cyberpunk and Dystopia.
Streaming 100% analytical walkthroughs and exploring of Underrail, System Shock, Fallout, Arcanum, Deus Ex, D&D like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and other great & my favourite games: https://www.twitch.tv/trueneutralevgenius

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2016, 02:23:05 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to go through all the oddities at some point. The XP curve was tweaked at release and the oddity data on wiki (excluding DC stuff) is still from alpha.