Author Topic: Remove level cap.  (Read 10112 times)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Remove level cap.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 12:19:35 pm »
If you max lockipcking/hacking with default DEX/INT you will have enough skill to open everything without any bonus from tools or food.

As for crafting it depend on item type. Some items like rifles may indeed need more skill than maximum investment value (135), others like PSI headband will not.

If you want to craft everything you should be more serious about crafting (not stopping at max investment value) just like every player is in case of attack/defense skills.

Having said that i certainly appreciate if skill checks stop at max investment value because it makes synergies useful.

What are items you tried to craft and how much crafting they need?

As for level cap, i'd use soft cap and multiply (like x3) XP needed to level up after the cap is reached.

addictedorc

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »
Level cap is an important part of this game that makes it unique.  It forces you to make choices about your character's development rather than the "if I play long enough I become god because I can do everything". The level caps force you to decide things like "will my character use psionics, have a personality, to what degree be a builder vs. fighter, etc...  In games with no level cap or level caps so absurdly high you can max everything, the character looses the very qualities (things the character can't do as well as can do) that make it unique.

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 01:26:50 pm »
 Sorry I'm a month late to this discussion!  I wanted to give my "two cents" anyways. I have well over two thousand hours in CRPG's as well.

Personally I agree that the level cap of 25 feels very low in the game. Hitting 25 can be done
without doing any side quests, and comes well before the end of the game. Perhaps raising the soft
cap in the expansion to 30, and the hard cap to 35. (Hard cap being Vet Levels, and Soft cap
being regular levels)

Those extra 5 regular levels could still be reached by completing only a few sidequests, and then the
veteran levels could be attained beating the rest of the side quests in the game. Making the "veteran"
levels a proper veteran challenge.

Anyways, excited to see more of the expansion(s) in the future. Keep up the good work guys.