Author Topic: Remove level cap.  (Read 10004 times)

pohybel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Remove level cap.
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:56:00 am »
Remove level cap ::)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Remove level cap.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:20:55 pm »
No.

Phoenix7786

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:13:29 am »
What ^ said

pohybel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 02:15:40 pm »
Styga it's non sens to cap level in rpg game are you derailed ? Give as choice in start game to level cap or uncup, i get level cap before i go do deep caverns and whem i get cup game has become unplesat. I don't remember level cap in izometric fallout, or try to imagine level cap in game like heroes3. Really i can't understand you stubbornness? We all lose on this >:(

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 03:50:14 pm »
Styga it's non sens to cap level in rpg game are you derailed ?
I can't think of many cRPGs without level caps, be it a hard cap or diminishing returns/progressively more xp required to level up.

Give as choice in start game to level cap or uncup, i get level cap before i go do deep caverns and whem i get cup game has become unplesat.
Level cap is vital to the balance of the game, being able to improve your skills and take new feats indefinitely would be overpowered, especially considering almost all creatures respawn with classic xp.

Getting all oddites and doing all quests in the the game with oddity xp leaves you with +/- 100 xp above the level cap. This is acceptable, it rewards heavy exploration with faster leveling but stil allows reaching the cap if you odn't explore that much.

If you are reaching cap before Deep Caverns it means you explore a lot in oddity or grind in classic. Either way you are rewarded with faster leveling. Not all people explore/grind that much.

You can get around the level cap with cheat engine, too.

I don't remember level cap in izometric fallout, or try to imagine level cap in game like heroes3.
There is a hard level cap in Fallout 1, it's 21. Very hard to reach without grinding.

Fallout 2, Tactics and BoS have a cap of 99, but it's virtually impossible to reach that.

Heroes 3 has a level cap of 75, also impossible outside of custom maps.

Really i can't understand you stubbornness? We all lose on this >:(
I think you don't understand just how much the balance of the game relies on the cap.

pohybel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 04:12:08 pm »
I can't think of many cRPGs without level caps, be it a hard cap or diminishing returns/progressively more xp required to level up.
I understan this but in Underrail level cap is too low min 50

Level cap is vital to the balance of the game, being able to improve your skills and take new feats indefinitely would be overpowered, especially considering almost all creatures respawn with classic xp.

Getting all oddites and doing all quests in the the game with oddity xp leaves you with +/- 100 xp above the level cap. This is acceptable, it rewards heavy exploration with faster leveling but stil allows reaching the cap if you odn't explore that much.

If you are reaching cap before Deep Caverns it means you explore a lot in oddity or grind in classic. Either way you are rewarded with faster leveling. Not all people explore/grind that much.

You can get around the level cap with cheat engine, too.

I play in classic game style and it's not my fault i like this way, always when i play in rpg and i get level cup game lost sens not only for my, and i must start cheating and this is bullshit mayby it's time to change rules and  take cup off.

There is a hard level cap in Fallout 1, it's 21. Very hard to reach without grinding.

Fallout 2, Tactics and BoS have a cap of 99, but it's virtually impossible to reach that.

Heroes 3 has a level cap of 75, also impossible outside of custom maps.

So if it's impossible there why is possible in Underrail ?

I think you don't understand just how much the balance of the game relies on the cap.
I think u think you are wiseguy and u wana suck up to Styga.

pohybel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:19:01 pm »
This is the real issue here. I'm guessing you played on classic? Oddity is somewhat better in this regard. Removing the level cap is out of question, but leveling speed shouldn't be too fast. I completely agree that unexpectedly hitting a level cap sucks.

Yes i play in classic mode, and what the hell you talking about level speed is to fast? it's only 27 level max but game is longer so change it to 50 it's only good way, change gained xp. pkt. to lower change game to very hard i think this game is hard enough now.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:54:45 am »
I think skill cap would make more sense then level cap.

In a sense, player should have an option to develop undeveloped skill, if he reaches game cap, instead it staying frozen on some mediocre skill level.

I guess most frustrating thing ever would be to not reach some crafting skill level you do need, due to reaching level cap first.

mercy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 03:51:17 pm »
No Level Cap-feature attracts sales!  MUST HAVE

To_an

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 09:28:01 pm »
I must say that i am agree with mercy and player1. Level cap is too low and i have reached it at the beginning of Tchort Institute (without grinding or whatever - and if the classic mode is unbalanced, it isn't players' fault :)). Thus "ruined" my gaming experience in Deep Cavern. Never finished the game beacause of that. But since Styg will not change his mind, maybe we could find an agreement (sort of).

* By implementing some NPCs that could improve some skills, only once, by X points for example ?
* + By introducing items that could improve Base abilities (by X point - Think of Memory modules from Fallout 2) // Not sure for this one, we have a lot of items in
 the game doing that.
* + or Skills (again like in the Fallout universe).

But it's Styg game and not mine.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 04:06:51 am »
Another solution would be a soft level cap like Fallout 2.

There's no cap, but level 26 is close to impossible to reach (super high exp req'd).

I think a limited skill re-spec (once only, within 50~ish points) would greatly enhance the game. This would solve the "I found a super high quality component but my crafting skill is off by 10" problem.

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 03:04:20 am »
Another solution would be a soft level cap like Fallout 2.

There's no cap, but level 26 is close to impossible to reach (super high exp req'd).

I think a limited skill re-spec (once only, within 50~ish points) would greatly enhance the game. This would solve the "I found a super high quality component but my crafting skill is off by 10" problem.
Something like D&D -  pretty straight-forward until level 10, then, double, then double, ect...

pohybel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 11:23:39 am »
This is embarrassing , i be in deep caverns and i can't craft some item because my skill craft is to low or i can't open box or door for the same reason, despite the fact that I developed this skills most, because level cap is too low or Styg start thing about change level cap or i delate game and i forget about Underrail and future DLC.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 12:19:35 pm »
If you max lockipcking/hacking with default DEX/INT you will have enough skill to open everything without any bonus from tools or food.

As for crafting it depend on item type. Some items like rifles may indeed need more skill than maximum investment value (135), others like PSI headband will not.

If you want to craft everything you should be more serious about crafting (not stopping at max investment value) just like every player is in case of attack/defense skills.

Having said that i certainly appreciate if skill checks stop at max investment value because it makes synergies useful.

What are items you tried to craft and how much crafting they need?

As for level cap, i'd use soft cap and multiply (like x3) XP needed to level up after the cap is reached.

addictedorc

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »
Level cap is an important part of this game that makes it unique.  It forces you to make choices about your character's development rather than the "if I play long enough I become god because I can do everything". The level caps force you to decide things like "will my character use psionics, have a personality, to what degree be a builder vs. fighter, etc...  In games with no level cap or level caps so absurdly high you can max everything, the character looses the very qualities (things the character can't do as well as can do) that make it unique.