Author Topic: A rework for a boss (endgame spoilers)  (Read 1553 times)

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
A rework for a boss (endgame spoilers)
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:09:06 am »
You will know what an agony a god can inflict...

Tchort fight is an interesting one, in order to effectively overcome its high regen and the tentacles you must destroy four mutagen tanks scattered through the level, the main issue are builds which cause high quantities of damage in a few turns (Plasma pistols crits, sniper rifles, assault/smg burst attacks) can easily shred the eye even without touching the tanks, while builds with low but steady damage (crossbows, pistols, knife) will have to get the mutagen tanks in order to counter the high regeneration and also deal with hordes of tchortlings, in my opinion biocides grenades are not enough to fight the tchortlings unless you possess burst damage weapons previously mentioned before they manage you hurt you, and they spawn... very fast. I just want to share my ideas in order to make this fight viable for every build.

One mutagen tank gives Tchort a stacking buff, let's call it "Mutagen Resilience", which reduces all damage taken by 20% and providing regeneration, meaning all the four tanks active giving a total of 80% damage reduction from all sources, making the player to get the tanks in order to break its defense.

When a mutagen tank is destroyed all tentacles get stunned by 2 turns to give the player a moment of breath, of course this one sounds like a deal-breaker so this one could be discarded.

My main issue with tchortlings is they spawn a lot and can deal a lot of damage, specially if the player is recovering in the panic rooms, to be honest I don't have a good idea on this one, maybe reducing their spawn rate when a mutagen tank is destroyed or making them weak depending of the quantity of tanks destroyed.

Any feedback to make this encounter more viable is welcome.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: A rework for a boss (endgame spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:32:54 pm »
builds with low but steady damage (crossbows, pistols, knife) will have to get the mutagen tanks in order to counter the high regeneration and also deal with hordes of tchortlings
That's slightly too generalized, it depends on the exact build. All of those can go directly for the eye in my experience. Sure things get much easier if you can just oneshot it, but tanking 3 tentacles while blasting at the eye for a while isn't too bad. I think the difficulty is fine in the sense that any build can be made strong enough to just go for the eye, but weaker characters can still defeat the boss.

One mutagen tank gives Tchort a stacking buff, let's call it "Mutagen Resilience", which reduces all damage taken by 20% and providing regeneration, meaning all the four tanks active giving a total of 80% damage reduction from all sources, making the player to get the tanks in order to break its defense.
I agree that one-shotting the end boss is terribly anticlimactic. I suggested something similar to Styg shortly before the release, but he doesn't want to protect poor lil Tchort from overpowered builds. :P

My main issue with tchortlings is they spawn a lot and can deal a lot of damage, specially if the player is recovering in the panic rooms, to be honest I don't have a good idea on this one, maybe reducing their spawn rate when a mutagen tank is destroyed or making them weak depending of the quantity of tanks destroyed.
That is exactly how it already works. Tchortlings only spawn from active mutagen tanks. Plus the tchortlings are easier than usual since you don't have the eye debuff during the boss fight.

Fair enough, will try again once Expedition comes out, I remembered the issue was I only had 1 Advanced Health Hypo and a Super because endless faceless gaunt respawn at warehouses, Tchortists and Leo didn't have any hypos for sale or maybe just very bad (RNG) luck.