Author Topic: Dev Log #49: Temporal Manipulation  (Read 16112 times)

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #49: Temporal Manipulation
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 08:03:08 pm »
Those with keen eye and sharp wit may already have seen something similar in the game...

Boy, with all the time-related jokes and mechanics in this game, I think I'm developing vertigo! ...Timelapse Vertigo! :P

I'll see myself out.

I regret nothing!

Lucifuga

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 06:48:05 am »
Are you playing on easy or running an old version? The latest version has neat AI updates. All of them apply on hard, some on normal, easy is the same old dumb NPCs.

I run on 1.0.1.4/normal
I'm always reluctant to update but that is something to look forward to along with Expedition
Thanks for the info!

Planet-X

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 10:54:55 am »
I can not wait to play this again!

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 12:14:10 am »
Agree!

Melinoe

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 09:27:39 pm »
Temporal Manipulation looks like it's gonna be killer for supporting a lot of different playstyles, especially the classic Dex/Agi/Will focused psi-monk. Extra movement and action points go a long way when you need to get up and personal FAST and your attacks are already low-cost.

To_an

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:56 pm »
Hello, i have one question about this new 'psi school' after reading this :
Veteran characters no longer receive base ability or skill points during leveling...
How could i use this new discipline in the expansion whith, let's say a psi bluid, if my character has reached the level cap ? Maybe i am misunderstanding something, but to be usefull, i will need to start a new playthrough ?

Thanks

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:27 pm »
Hello, i have one question about this new 'psi school' after reading this :
Veteran characters no longer receive base ability or skill points during leveling...
How could i use this new discipline in the expansion whith, let's say a psi bluid, if my character has reached the level cap ? Maybe i am misunderstanding something, but to be usefull, i will need to start a new playthrough ?

Thanks

Yes.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 12:14:44 pm »
In cases when the original damage was very slight, the recurrence may actually empower it.
Could someone explain this to me? I think I may be misreading it, for I don't quite get it.
On a related note, can "target" be one-self in most of those abilities?
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 10:25:16 pm »
In cases when the original damage was very slight, the recurrence may actually empower it.
Could someone explain this to me? I think I may be misreading it, for I don't quite get it.
On a related note, can "target" be one-self in most of those abilities?

Let's say you make a pistol shot and cause "10" points of damage and the ability may consider it slight or low damage, then the recurrence would cause a damage tick of "25", that's how I understand the psi skill.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 06:26:49 am »
Hello all.  Quick question, if I may.  At very high skill levels, Implosion can cause 75% or more of target health in damage.  If Implosion, on a full-health target, is followed by Entropic Recurrence, will the target be taking 100% of its health before it can act?  Sounds like 75% + (75/3)%.  Quick way to handle pesky boss-types, if so.  Thanks much, and thanks for making this game.  Been having a blast with it, even if your burrowers do give me angina.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 06:44:52 pm »
Entropic Recurrence repeats only a percentage (depending on Temporal Manipulation skill) of the original damage, not the full damage. Also keep in mind that Implosion does not ignore damage resistance. Besides, there is already a better Implosion trick for instant kills. ;)
Ah, the importance of the proper article.  The description in the OP says "the percentage" not "a percentage" so I thought that meant if you did damage equal to X% of the target health, ER would smear an additional X% across 3 turns, effectively doubling whatever the damage was.  So it's not a doubling, just some sort of additional DoT.  OK.  Thanks for the clarification.

I try to avoid instant-kill tricks so haven't really made much use of Implosion, but there certainly are a lot of shenanigans available if you've got all three psi schools at your disposal.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 12:22:01 am »
... So the recurrence empowers the damage, not the target? Wording, gentlemen.
... I'm confused.

Edit: If Psi-Skills continue to have a synergy, a full PSI character might end up getting easily 30 points in Temporal Manipulation without investing anything. Worse comes to worst, just don't gain the last level, then when the addon comes around you can dump 35 points in it and get most of the stuff that might require spent base points. With universal bonus gear that ought to result in a good 60 or so skill level. Not sure how skill level will play into it anyways, a lot of them look like they have no variable components.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:44:33 pm by UnLimiTeD »
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.