Author Topic: A (thousand) word(s) on the crafting system  (Read 3030 times)

Doomjoon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
A (thousand) word(s) on the crafting system
« on: October 23, 2016, 04:12:53 pm »
Greetings.

The main thing that has been sort of putting me off from playing the game more, is the game's crafting/item system, and how it handles item properties in general. While this system makes absolutely perfect sense when it comes to balance and strategic/tactical gameplay, if you think about it, it doesn't really make all that much actual, real world sense.

Now, bear in mind, again, I do perfectly realize that the current system exists for a reason, and a very good one, but there are a few things that I have an undying need to point out.

The thing is, well, let's take a look at boot enhancements. Those are some pretty sweet enhancements, right? It sort of sucks that you can't have all of them at the same time. But... why? In real world, it would make perfect sense to be able to put all of those enhancements on a real boot. Granted, it might be a bit hard to get used to wearing them, but I think it's perfectly feasible. The only thing that's really questionable would be that the spikes and serrated blades take the same space on the boot, but you could have the spike on the front and serrated edges on the side of the front (which is where you'd want them, as you can't really cut with a direct kick, rather, you have to sort of scrape the blades on the opponent's flesh). But as for the springs and plates, I really see no issue as to why they couldn't exist alongside eachother at all.

There's also, for example, padding. They have different properties, yes, but I don't think it should be too hard for a good craftsman to make padding that has all of these properties at the same time, or maybe make multi-layered padding with two types of padding that have two properties each.

And what about goggle lens? Again, it seems like it should be no trouble at all to make lenses that have all of those advantages combined. You could make the argument that it would be technically incredibly complex to do, but it seems that all of those lenses seem to do pretty much the same thing anyway, only with slightly different internal programming (and of course, different names and stat bonuses)

This is what's bothering me, throughout my play I cannot stop thinking "But, why shouldn't I be able to do this?".  I mean, at some points it of course DOES make sense that you cannot combine things together, like for example different types of leather or metal, but for many other things, like for example different types of carrier vests which certainly could be made to encompass properties of multiple various carrier vests (or possibly even all of them), it just leaves me a tad disappointed.

By far, the silliest example of this are the overcoats. Why couldn't you just take a kevlar/blast (by the way, again, it makes little real-world sense to separate these into different properties) overcoat, and then make it easier to sneak in by...

painting it black

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

instead of using the regular black overcoat.

Of course, I realize that it's rather problematic right now to pretty much completely overhaul the crafting system so late in the game development, and don't get me wrong, the crafting system you created is absolutely fantastic in gameplay terms. It does a really good job of making you decide on what to do, it creates a great sense of strategic gameplay, and of course, balances things out to prevent you from becoming too powerful. But I can't help thinking that there should a better way to do this than sort of forcing irrational limitations. Maybe have a system where the player can through improving his crafting skills/perks unlock more slots for item materials/improvements while crafting, but again, it's probably a bit too late for that. Still, it would be nice to at least see something like this in your future projects, if you agree.

Thank you for sticking with me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:59:00 pm by Doomjoon »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: A (thousand) word(s) on the crafting system
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 07:56:21 pm »
I am a great fan of realism in games too, believe me, but games shouldn't strive to be absolutely realistic unless it's the main selling point of the game, like in simulators (ARMA, etc.) for example.

In my opinion RPGs should strive for a perfect balance of realism and fun gameplay where all you do feels at least somewhat realistic and feasible but still fun to do.

The thing is, well, let's take a look at boot enhancements. Those are some pretty sweet enhancements, right? It sort of sucks that you can't have all of them at the same time. But... why? In real world, it would make perfect sense to be able to put all of those enhancements on a real boot. Granted, it might be a bit hard to get used to wearing them, but I think it's perfectly feasible. The only thing that's really questionable would be that the spikes and serrated blades take the same space on the boot, but you could have the spike on the front and serrated edges on the side of the front (which is where you'd want them, as you can't really cut with a direct kick, rather, you have to sort of scrape the blades on the opponent's flesh). But as for the springs and plates, I really see no issue as to why they couldn't exist alongside eachother at all.
You see, the problem is, in real world no one would wear metal boots with striders, spikes and blades because they would be so heavy, clunky and awkward that it would be nearly impossible to walk in them and definitely not feasible.

There's also, for example, padding. They have different properties, yes, but I don't think it should be too hard for a good craftsman to make padding that has all of these properties at the same time, or maybe make multi-layered padding with two types of padding that have two properties each.
I can't agree wih you on that. In real world it would be nearly impossible to make padding that is high-density but also light and soft for example, it's kinda mutually exclusive.

And what about goggle lens? Again, it seems like it should be no trouble at all to make lenses that have all of those advantages combined. You could make the argument that it would be technically incredibly complex to do, but it seems that all of those lenses seem to do pretty much the same thing anyway, only with slightly different internal programming (and of course, different names and stat bonuses)
Again, such goggles would end up being extremaly big and unwieldy, to the point of uselessness.

See, that's my point. Too much realism and suddenly everything ends up not so good, leaving you with very little actually viable stuff and less fun. Too little of it and everything feels silly.

It's all about striking the perfect point of balance. Of course that point is going to be different for different people, but I'm happy with how Underrail handles it.

Doomjoon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:31:08 pm »
You see, the problem is, in real world no one would wear metal boots with striders, spikes and blades because they would be so heavy, clunky and awkward that it would be nearly impossible to walk in them and definitely not feasible.

That's what I talked about getting used to, but I really don't think they'd be that much of an issue. The spike + blades combo is pretty much the same as just blades or just spikes, it's only either replacing some blades with a spike or adding a little bit extra blades on the side of the spike. The only possibly uncomfortable part of that is possibly the springs, but again, I don't think it would add much heaviness at all, just a bit of awkward that you'd get used to.

I can't agree wih you on that. In real world it would be nearly impossible to make padding that is high-density but also light and soft for example, it's kinda mutually exclusive.

It says soft, not light. High-density and soft can go together perfectly well. If it was light, then there would be no sound muffling at all, as it would have no weight that would absorb your movements and muffle them.

Again, such goggles would end up being extremaly big and unwieldy, to the point of uselessness.

Not necessarily, the lens pretty much do the same thing already on a hardware level (except possibly the adaptive lens), as far as I know how things like these usually work, all you'd need to do is change internal programming to encompass all the separate functions. This might only cause a bit of an increase in necessary hardware for sake of processing power, but the effects of  that could easily be mitigated. I mean, with the high tech this game's world has available, it seems like minimization shouldn't be a problem. But that's just a long-shot guess from someone who didn't even design the world.

See, that's my point. Too much realism and suddenly everything ends up not so good, leaving you with very little actually viable stuff and less fun. Too little of it and everything feels silly.

It's all about striking the perfect point of balance. Of course that point is going to be different for different people, but I'm happy with how Underrail handles it.

Indeed, that is definitely true, I wanted to hear other people's opinion on this problem; hopefully to find a way to not tip the balance and find a way to please both sides.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:38:42 pm by Doomjoon »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »
That's what I talked about getting used to, but I really don't think they'd be that much of an issue. The spike + blades combo is pretty much the same as just blades or just spikes, it's only either replacing some blades with a spike or adding a little bit extra blades on the side of the spike. The only possibly uncomfortable part of that is possibly the springs, but again, I don't think it would add much heaviness at all, just a bit of awkward that you'd get used to.
Metal boots would be extremaly heavy and uncomofrtable already. Adding long spikes and blades to them would only restrict them more. I also can't really imagine doing any sort of precise movements in spring-loaded boots, it would probably feel more like being a drunken kangaroo.

I'm sure if anyone would ever create boots like these, it would be nearly impossible to move in them.

It says soft, not light. High-density and soft can go together perfectly well. If it was light, then there would be no sound muffling at all, as it would have no weight that would absorb your movements and muffle them.
No, I'm fairly sure high-density and soft doesn't go together well. High-density foams are rigid by definition.

Not necessarily, the lens pretty much do the same thing already on a hardware level (except possibly the adaptive lens), as far as I know how things like these usually work, all you'd need to do is change internal programming to encompass all the separate functions. This might only cause a bit of an increase in necessary hardware for sake of processing power, but the effects of  that could easily be mitigated. I mean, with the high tech this game's world has available, it seems like minimization shouldn't be a problem. But that's just a long-shot guess from someone who didn't even design the world.
Sadly I'm not an expert when it comes to optics, optoelectronics and such but I believe all that additional hardware would quickly add up. It's hard to argue though since as you said thst technolgoy doesn't really belong to our world.

We could argue what would be realistically feasible and what not all day but in the end, most of it would end up a lot  less useful.

Doomjoon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:48 pm »
Metal boots would be extremaly heavy and uncomofrtable already. Adding long spikes and blades to them would only restrict them more. I also can't really imagine doing any sort of precise movements in spring-loaded boots, it would probably feel more like being a drunken kangaroo.

I'm sure if anyone would ever create boots like these, it would be nearly impossible to move in them.

For metal boots, most certainly yes. For plate-reinforced boots, not really (these are small plates with negligible weight, people often heavily overestimate how heavy metal is when worn as armor). Especially if you don't add ALL of these enhancements, only more than one (the steel reinforcement itself being one of them).

No, I'm fairly sure high-density and soft doesn't go together well. High-density foams are rigid by definition.

Not actually, foams are special in that their characteristics can be made independent of each other. There are very firm light foams, and rather soft heavy foams. As I said, if you had a soft and light foam it would be pretty much useless for muffling in the first place.

Sadly I'm not an expert when it comes to optics, optoelectronics and such but I believe all that additional hardware would quickly add up. It's hard to argue though since as you said thst technolgoy doesn't really belong to our world.

Well, I assume that all of those lens types work on the principle of seeking and recognizing light signals and signal patterns, just different types. It's all programming. Motion-tracking? Try finding small lumps of signals that are moving against the surrounding image, whether the image itself is still moving on it's own or not, which would easily be detected based on it's patterns. Seeker lens and Smart lens? They seem to be literally the exact same thing, just split into two, with possible minor differences in programming. So they can all be pretty much made into one, just different internal programming, the adaptive lens being the only possible exception.

We could argue what would be realistically feasible and what not all day but in the end, most of it would end up a lot  less useful.

True. A lot of it, yes, that's left to developers to decide. I'm just trying to point out that there definitely could be things that would give players more freedom in crafting their gear.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:41:56 pm by Doomjoon »

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:01:37 am »
The black overcoat thingie may be silly, but ultimately it falls under "rule of cool". Underrail is a Cyberpunk game as much as it is a Post-Apoc game, and Bullfrog's Syndicate is thus as much a stylistic influence as is Fallout.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 03:45:18 pm »
It bugs me i can't poison my bear traps, caltrops or throwing knives.

It bugs me i'm getting fewer bear traps, caltrops or throwing knives when i create them with poison.

It bugs me quality has no effect on crafted bear traps, caltrops or throwing knives but it totally affects skill requirement.

It bugs me Skinner doesn't have lower INT reqiurement than Practical Physicist or Neurology.

It bugs me i can't detach riot gear shield from riot armor. (I am aware it can be problematic to implement but ... it still bugs me)

It bugs me Suppressing Fire enables Opportunist. (Well, it's not crafting related but it's realism related. And it bugs me)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:40:15 am by hilf »

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 12:33:09 am »
I feel you on various levels apart from the Suppressing Fire bit. Let's not fix Gunslinger and call it a tie.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 04:59:07 pm »
I feel you on various levels apart from the Suppressing Fire bit. Let's not fix Gunslinger and call it a tie.
Opportunist allows you to take advantage of enemies that are somehow, how should i put it, exposed. Suppressing Fire makes your enemies hunker down which is the opposite thing.

It bugs me i can't poison caltrops with any poison but with selected ones only.

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:18:28 pm »
Regardless of the semantics about how Suppressing Fire works in the real world, its effect work as a slow debuff in the game and so it should trigger Opportunist.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 02:52:42 pm »
It bugs me Paranoia, being essentially state of the mind, improves weapon and unarmed damage but not PSI.