Author Topic: Hostage NPCs  (Read 1384 times)

wastedswan

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Hostage NPCs
« on: October 22, 2016, 06:35:14 pm »
This is an account of some frustrating mechanics I ran into while running the GMS dungeon as a stealth toon and why I think hostages should have different relationship mechanics to standard NPCs.

It starts after descending through the trapdoor to lvl. 3 and into the room with the 2 raiders holding the old citizen hostage. Using quick tinkering to throw a trap in the path of the melee raider turns the old citizen hostile, annoying as you lose the ability to talk to him after the fight about the situation including the sentry gun. During the setup for the canteen assault i have to destroy some cameras as they will count spotting me placing traps and will tag them as belonging to me, even though the security station is unmanned. Even though you find a flashbang, suggesting you should use it, you can't as this will turn the hostages hostile. You cant use caltrops as the hostages will roll around in them and turn hostile. And finally, looting the raider's corpses will turn the hostages hostile.

some suggestions:
All sec stations should be able to be hacked and the cameras of unmanned ones should not spot you dropping traps.
Hostages should not start running around when the fight starts.
Hostages should not become hostile from flashbangs, caltrops or seeing you drop traps.
And finally, why the fuck do they turn hostile if they see you looting the raider corpses?

On a side note, why are the raiders unable to path through closed doors during combat?