Author Topic: Did anyone played unpopular "theme" build(s)?  (Read 15814 times)

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Did anyone played unpopular "theme" build(s)?
« on: July 14, 2016, 04:53:19 pm »
Something like:
Fire guy with pyrokinesis, using fire psi spells, molotovs , Incendiary Blob Pistol and Fire Proximity Suit
Cold guy with Cryogenic Induction, hypotermia, cryo gun, cryokinesis , cryostasis

etc..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:57:39 pm by Eldakar »

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone played unpopular "theme" build(s)?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:56:30 pm »
Not quite yet, but that's a nice idea for my next playthrough.
So far I've done full psiker, big guy with assault rifle and hammer, and now, sniper.

I'm contemplating going for a "bleed" build as my next move.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:00:14 pm »
Bleed build? Nice idea. Ripper glove, 3x seratted blades in armor and one in boots, vile weaponry, taste of blood, cut-throat with kukri in other hand for opening hit. But if you put so many seratted blades your armor penality will be over 20, and lightning punches wont work. :( Mayby "spiked build" would be more interesting.

Or mayby combine both fire + cold for Frost & Fire build.

Or thief build with all thiefing perks, stealing, hacking, lockpicking, traps, stealth, clothier and social skills. Oh, and grenades and throwing knives if something goes wrong.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:15:00 pm by Eldakar »

Rudest

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:39:50 am »
I've been toying with the idea of building a chemistry focused character who fights primarily with explosives. Grenades and mines. Throwing/Traps. Not sure that it would scale all that well or if it would even be practical at all....But at least it would be funny! Could go for high intelligence and craft high grade explosives super early. Sneak around. Plant traps. Break stealth with a grenade. Maybe Use Sprint + Quick Tinkering to lay a mine right at someone's feet and run away. Lots of kiting and running away in between. Total Chaos.

I'd also like to do a new Ranger/Hunter themed Crossbow/Traps character.

My first character had Elemental Bolts and was pretty crit focused. (Which I assume is the conventional way of building Crossbow/Traps.) Very effective, though it took me about three rerolls to get it just right.

But, I had so much fun that I think I'd like to do it again anchored around Hypertoxicity instead of Elemental Bolts, just for a change of pace - to utilize those poison bolts I kept passing on. The way I look at it, Elemental Bolts is superior to Hypertoxicity in terms of flexibility(And most likely damage), but you can grab Hypertoxicity and capitalize on it much earlier.

Try to shimmy in Hypertoxicity, Vile Weaponry, and Quick Pockets. Possibly focus a little less in some of the crafting disciplines, and reinvest those points into throwing to make up for the lack of crowd control bolts with flashbangs, gas grenades, and more reliable caltrops. Maybe bump intelligence up enough to grab Skinner, and go with an Underrail Ranger/Hunter kind of theme as opposed to my first guy who was more of a Scavenger with a knack for improvised weaponry. 

Cave ear bear traps and serrated bolts to apply multiple stacks of the Vile Weaponry/Infected Wound debuff. Cave Ear Poison and Gas Grenades to make enemies more vulnerable. Flashbangs, EMP grenades, tranqbolts, and caltrops for more utility and crowd control. Skinner for the finest leather armors. Quick Pockets, because he'll need all of the utility slots.

I think it'll be fun, once I get my head around what to sacrifice to jam those feats in.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:58:53 am by Rudest »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 07:38:27 am »
How about strenght oriented psion/metal fist fighter? One with Telekinetic punch. Something like this:

10++++++/3/3/3/3/10/8

Nimble
Power management
Corporeal Projection
Force User
Premeditation
Lightning punches
Psychosis
Armor slopping
Locus of control
Neural Overclocking
Recklessness
Expose Weakness
Guard
Bone breaker

The problem will be huge cost of TK punch which is 50 PSI.
So its probably not good option at all.

How about char around dirt kick? With metal boots and spikes.
Above everage tungsten spikes deal 10-20, so with 5x parts it will be 50-100 added to each hit. With 16 dex you can hit 7 times with adrenaline, thats 350-700 dmg. Not bad.

Also i wonder, what spikes gives most dmg? Tichrome,Tungsten or Supersteel?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:09:26 am by Eldakar »

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 03:24:46 pm »
Last time I made a "torturer" build. Trapper (bear traps only) with a few bleed and stun skills, and maxed-out thought control. Killing enemies as slowly and painfully as possible.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:38:58 pm »
"Spikes" build:

10/15+ells/3/7/3/3/5

Recklessness
Juggernaut
Opportunist
Quick tinkering
Cheap shots
Taste for blood
Bone breaker
Combo
Critical power
Expose Weakness
Heavyweight
Vile weaponry
Wrestling
Dirty kick

Even without Tabis and lightning punches it's still 7 punches per turn with adrenaline, not bad.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:41:29 pm »
I had the weird idea to start playing randomized builds, and I do mean COMPLETELY randomized.

Here are the rules:
At the char gen screen you lower each stat to 3 and use an online random dice roller like this one: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm
At the bottom you can set custom dice. You have 19 points which you can allocate across your attributes which means you roll 19d7. Each die that lands on 1 goes into STR, the ones on 2 into DEX, 3 into AGI and so on, you get the idea. You do the same with the skills but use 8d22 dice because there are 22 skills and you can max 8 at level 1. Feats are a bit more complicated. You have to count how many feats are available and use 2d2xx. Top feat in the list is #1 and so on.
You use the same mechanic for each level up but you increase skills by 5 for every die. If one skill happens to be at max already you simply reroll.

I have no idea how this would turn out. Due to the nature of randomness most characters will be completely gimped and as good as unplayable but it's a challenge right? Hard difficulty is out of question, normal probably too unless very lucky and you happen to have good match between stats, skills and feats. Easy would maybe, just maybe work out.

If it still turns out to be unplayable by chance one could make the system a bit more viable by rolling two of the 8 skill dice exclusively for the combat skills, so at each level up 2d4, to make sure to have at least some fighting ability: 1 is for guns, 2 for throwing, 3 for crossbow, 4 for melee. Additionally to reduce the insanity maybe make the feats free for players choice. Most have specific requirements so it still won't be easy to get the best ones.

Everything else you do in the game is of your own choice so you have to adapt and improvise to survive. If that won't make you feel like a random goon nothing will. :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:46:46 pm by Wildan »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 06:44:22 am »
Well tbh i was hoping you would drop in and discus/comment my spiked build. :P

breach

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 02:11:35 pm »
I guess my theme build was Big Daddy (the Dark Souls kind) which is 0 defense with all melee offense and mobility,
and a Juggernaut type that strictly and only used defensive perks and items that boosted defense in some way.
both were with 0 PSI ability duo to flavor, but some PSI could make them viable. (since PSI makes anything viable really)

the Big Daddy easily crushed most enemies through the game (well, most of it. the psi enemy clusters were a chore) but the Juggernaut was a hit and miss, in the sense that duo to how enemy characters work, they can either negate and/or completely destroy through your defense or they're literally harmless.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:17:17 pm by breach »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 04:13:41 pm »
8/3/3/10/10/3/3

L 01 - Conditioning
L 01 - Thick Skull
L 02 - Survival Instincts
L 04 - Juggernaut
L 06 - Full Auto
L 08 - Premeditation
L 10 - Concentrated Fire
L 12 - Recklessness
L 14 - Commando
L 16 - Critical Power
L 18 - Opportunist
L 20 - Last stand
L 22 - Fast Metabolism
L 24 - Doctor

Here is assault build who dumps stealth/evasion/dodge.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 07:47:20 pm »
Regarding your spiked build, I think it doesn't pay off to lose Lightning Punches. -2 AP is too good. I'd rather invest one more point into INT, take Armor Sloping and Nimble to qualify for LP and go the STR route.

Since Combo was nerfed I was neglecting it but I got a new idea for a build around that feat which abuses the Combo mechanics:
If you land three consecutive damage dealing unarmed or fist weapon attacks against a single target in a single turn, the third attack will deal 100% bonus damage and have 20% chance to stun the target for 1 turn.

Now this is the idea: On a STR based build metal gloves and the Power Fist give most bang for the buck because of huge STR bonus (it's even better then for sledgehammers), but metal gloves are slow and this penalizes all mechanics that need punch spamming (Combo, Cheap Shots, Wrestling, Taste for Blood, Bone Breaker).
So what if one would wield metal gloves in one slot and bare fists in the other and make best of both paths? Let's say you take 10 DEX (which is a sweetspot for this build) then together with Lightning Punches and tabbis you'll hit for 5 AP with bare fists and 10 AP with the metal gloves. As you can see those numbers fit so well withing any AP pool.

With 50 AP you have these possibilities:
a.) 10 times with the bare fists which is too weak.
b.) 5 times with metal gloves which is good damage but too few hits.
c.) 4 times with bare fists and 3 times with metal gloves which gives best damage with most hits: 5+5+10+5+5+10+10=50

The combo would look like this: Two hits with bare fists and third always with the metal gloves. This way you make sure that on every third hit you get 100% bonus weapon damage on the strong gloves (besides the stun chance), so by replacing first metal glove punch with two regular hits you don't lose any damage. You actually gain alot because those two bare fist hits can be seen as free damage which is actually pretty good with 15-16 STR, Force Emission and Corporal Projection (Telekinetic damage +5% for each point of strength above 5). 7 vs 5 hits also makes a better chance to proc the buffs/debuffs/abilities I mentioned above. Even Bone Breaker becomes worthwhile because there is a pretty good chance for it to proc on one or both hits before metal gloves. VS extremly tough opponents like some bosses you could focus on buff debuf first: 8 hits with bare fists and final hit with metal (Combo damage applies) you're very likely to score good TfB, Wrestling, Bone Breaker, stun buffs/debuffs.

This is the complete build:

10+++++/10/6/3/3/3/5+

01 - Recklessness
01 - Sprint
02 - Nimble
04 - Lightning Punches
06 - Quick Tinkering
08 - Cheap Shots
10 - Expose Weakness
12 - Combo
14 - Critical Power
16 - Armor Sloping (+1 INT here)
18 - Wrestling
20 - Taste for Blood
22 - Corporal Projection
24 - Bone Breaker

If you happen to come across a TiChrome bar early (rare but possible) rush Armor Sloping and craft a TiChrome metal armor with a sturdy vest for extra hitpoints. It's a long road until a bladed super steel armor.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 03:57:24 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufoQl1yr-aM

Here is guy playing hard ironman. He is pretty far and still alive. His trick is silenced 5mm smg and killing stuff silently.

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:13 am »
We fixed that bug a few months ago (I think it was a part of a map glitch collection posted on our forums, can't remember for sure), it's just that we haven't released patch in a while so these fixes haven't reached the players yet. Sad to see him lose the run because of it, though. :(

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 11:38:49 am »
My worst permadeath run ever: I climbed over one of those piles of rocks that have a 7 AGI check. That character had only base 6 in it but because of the hopper steak I consumed a while ago (temporary +1 AGI) I could climb over. After picking up a few shrooms I was about to head back but the steak wear off leaving me with 6 AGI again. No problem I thought, I'm just gonna eat another one. Nope, I ate the last one previously. Cave hopper gear, junkyard surprise? Nada.

There was no alternative way out, I was stuck. Not dead but also unable to continue I had to abandon the run. I guess the next cave wanderer found a few shrooms and a human skeleton behind those rocks.