Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress RagCopper History thread  (Read 10617 times)

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress RagCopper History thread
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:21:31 am »
So yeah, I thought I'll start publishing the history of our succession for here - hopefully it'll be easier to watch then scooping for it in the thread :).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:31:03 pm by maheusz »

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress History thread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:24:29 am »
Turn #1 xmorg

It doesnt look good.  Its midsummer and the miners are already tantruming.  A mining mistake left a miner with a broken leg, and the other miner trapped.  3 squares away from freedom he starts "hunting vermin for food"

Edit: both miners are now dead from starvation :(  Mining picks are trapped in an unreachable location.

Here is how we started
=======================
The kindom of Olonbomrek has sent forth dwarves to make a fortress in Unibgusil
"Ragcopper"

Malfol Lelumreg(Miner)
Udil Letmosobur,(Woodworker)
Edem Kodstakud,(woodcutter)
Tekkud Dorenurrith(Exp Leader)
Atis Nishom(Jeweler)
Logem Lilarzefon(fish cleaner)
Ast Engigkonos(fisherdwarf)->Assigned to mine.

It is early spring.
There seems to be no wood, or water.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:25:10 am »
Turn #1 xmorg

More issues in mid autum.
Found a giant laugur stealing my bone crossbows.
I mustered a militia to go after it.  so 5 weaponless wrestlers finally catch up with it.  As it gores one dwarf to death the rest beat it to a bloody pulp.  However we are not able to kill it with punches alone.  I then stop the assult and assign weapons.  The copper axe does the job.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:25:50 am »
Turn #1 xmorg

Back in business!
It's late autumn and the merchants have arrived.  I sold all of my stone mugs and purchased 2 mining picks.
I also bought as much wood as the merchant had, because I know my dwarves are getting tired of sleeping on the floor.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress RagCopper History thread
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 03:42:52 pm »
Turn #1 xmorg

Notable events. (as legends would tell it)
The settlement is Known as "Ragcopper"
In the early spring of 251, the Metal of Bristling of the Geared Whips founded Ragcopper.

In midsummer 251, the dwarf's Mafol Wanegloves, and Ast Flaxbrass both died of thirst after being trapped in a mining accident, in which they channeled lower than the stairs.

In early autum the dwarf Oddom Granitelock blead to death, slain by the giant gray langur "Rampagedblocked", in Ragcopper.

In midautum 251 the giant grey langur Rapangedblocked was struck down by Litast Slippedoar with a copper battle axe in Ragcopper.

Kib Netfastens is known for creating (occasionally) masterful stone mudpots.

Not mentioned in legends!
the Dwarf Xmorg, "miner" carved out a marble bedroom for himself, took one of the few beds available,  along with an armor stand and chest.  he then falsified work orders to have the stone in his room smoothed

A giant toad was wounded pretty bad by the militia commander only steps from Xmorg's marble bedroom (Hotkey F3)

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
  • I just came here to read homestuck and honestly
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 03:29:47 am »
(lolno)
ok....in character....hmm.....

YEAR 252\MONTH SHALE\DATE 1ST
IN MY TRAVELS I HAVE COME TO MANY A RETARDED FORT SITE. BUT NEVER HAVE I EVER SEEN SUCH A REDICULOUS FORT AS RAGCOPPER! NOT ONLY ARE THE DWARVES THEMSELVES, CRAZY, UNEDUCATED, AND CURRUPT, BUT THE SHEER LEVEL OF TRAPS AND HORRIBLE THINGS THAT THEY EMPLOY AS TO 'THIN THE BLUE BLOODED SCUM' MAKES ME FEAR FOR MY LIFE! IN SHORT, IT IS A HORRIBLE DEATH TRAP THAT I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO ESCAPE A WONDERFUL PLACE FULL OF ELF DOOMSENDERS, AND DELICIOUS CHEESE. MMMM CHEESE.
MORE ON THIS FORT AND ITS DEATHTRAPS LATER. MABYE.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:00:55 pm by JeffTheShark »
Words, I don't know.

xmorg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 02:47:21 am »
screenshots? hehe

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 10:33:41 pm »
sadly my computer is made of chocolate bars, nuget, and chicken nuggets, which, while being delicious, make my computer shit dicks if i try anything crazy, like haveing a billion trillion highly edited pictures, which i have to have for my work. so that means that i cant have very many pictures that end up being wider than my single editing screen, like DF ends up making. so i can have about 6 of my df pictures, and every time i get up 6 of them i post them on the thread. meaning the only time i look at the pictures i have taken, is when i frequently visit the fort's thread.
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 10:04:51 pm »
According to the ruling of the Secret Dwarven Council I, Edem Usirineth, codename maheusz was sent to take care of new colony, made in the middle of nowhere. According to my directives I acted as lowly Potash Maker, but my skills at manipulation let me command the fellow dwarves in a way Expedition Leader should. But since he is a lazy bum the authority and lives of my coworkers are mine.

God only knows who created this dump - the place is chaotic and dirty. The only thing I can commend my predecesor on is diabolical construction of the Trading Depot. Now only to create hatches, special pipes to pump water/magma... ahhh... but I'm thinking about too random stuff.

For now we need much more food and more dwarves. 10 people who we're here now isn't really that good. And if I add that some genius left the lower caverns open... that is a disaster waiting to happen. I already ordered creation of walls which should stop the creatures from entering our fortress and I pray to Armok that none of our masons will be stupid enough to stay on the other side when Great Barrier will be finished.

It seems like our walls brought upon us a crundle infestation! Thanfully the rag-tag millitary taken care of it. Also - there were sightings of Trologdytes. These are dire news indeed.

Udil Letmosbour was found dead... probably killed by crundle. His body will lie in hall of fame with both miners. Hopefully his ghost won't be too angry at us.

I will find and kill the person responsible for all this 'Detailing jobs'. THERE IS CRUNDLE INFESTATION DOWNSTAIRS, GO BUILD THE FUCKING WALL, NOT DETAIL ALL THE SAD THINGS IN YOUR LIFE!

Edem Kostakud is dead. Another crundle victim.

This is getting ridiculous. I've asked everybody to help with walling off the crundle hell. It must be done, otherwise these murderous monsters will kill us all!

And of course our dear leader, Tekkud Dorenurrith is throwing a tantrum like little child. I know that we're in crisis here, but really? REALLY? I'VE JUST SNAPPED A NECK OFF A CRUNDLE AND I WON'T STAND FOR IT!

He punched a cat. A CAT! Wow... Such a stress reliever, right?

It has come to my attention that As Noluzol, Fish Dissector was hurt in the fight with crundle. It's only bruising of the lower body, so he'll probably come around, but just to be sure I designated a healer. Since nobody knows ANYTHING about the wounds Xmorg was proudly anounced this colony doctor. And let us all hope that Armok is in good mood today.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FORT? Tekkud Dorenurrith, Stoneworker and former leader just went insane... oh mighty Armok, I smell tantrum spiral...

And in his madness he... organized an party... Okay. I'm officially mad too. Just... just...

Praise Armok! Migrants! 27 of them... there is no way in hell we'll be able to feed them. Somehow I start to get why leader went insane now.

This time it's Xmorg throwing a tantrum! Our doctor, our last hope in this world filled with blood and guts! Why?

He calmed down but not before killing an innocent dwarf. As Noluzol is no more.

It's an invasion of Giant Gray Langurs! Noooooo!

And in the midst of confusion Litast Fokermebzuth, militia commander has given a birth to a boy. Cute! Also the elven caravan arrived, but to be honest I have too much trouble in fortress to trade with them or even slaughter their puny faces. So I let them be.

Also Sigun Bomrekvesh, Hunter has just bled to death. Such sad fate. At least he killed few of the grays... now the elves will enter in the midst of bloodshed. I wonder what happens.

While fighting still hasn't died down Zulban Stelidkikrost has begun mysterious construction after claiming Jeweler Workshop!

Dwarven Baby just has bleed to death. I guess killed by the Grays. No tantrum please...

NOOOOOOOOOO! XMORG HAS BEEN FOUND DEAD! We'll avenge you!

Another two dwarves found dead. More coffins on the way. Make it three.

An artifact was created - amber opal figurine of Fecaci! Kobold thief wanted to steal it, but was stopped. Sadly he escaped so more will come! Let's be vigilant.

I died of thirst, because there was no water source in the whole damn fortress! Yet my ghost will record the events of this doomed place until the next poor soul from the Council'll come...

Traded with humans for a bunch of wood. We sold our big gem, a mug and one craft. It wasn't the biggest deal in the world, but everybody must start somewhere, right?

Cage traps are on the way. At least now it shouldn't be a slaughter when some animal decides to check the fortress out.

Lokum Gadankib, Cheese Maker is taken by fey mood! He claimed Metalsmith Forge after taking one piece of metal, so there may be a piece of armor... helmet maybe? Artifact helmet would be nice, right? Aaaaaaand... nope. He created a silver flask. One can dream. Ugh.

My end is near. It's winter already. And with new spring another fool will try to save Ragcopper. For those brave enough there is a lever which will help you defend - raise the bridge and laugh at those on the other side. Enjoy and farewell.

The story ends. Go, new one. Try your hand at the destiny...

wallace

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:10 pm »
Ok I think this is where I pick up the story. Arriving at the fortress I was shocked by the terrain, I thought my tileset must be broken or something because the temperate climate full of trees and wildlife I'm used to was replaced with some sort of desert with not a tree in sight. This proved to be a problem because nearly every plan I had for this fortress involved wood.

I soon adapted to the stone emphasis that was here but wood was constantly on my mind. I decided to make a hole in the wall down in the caverns, seeing a forest of trees on the other side. In my folly I built a door in its place forgetting that doors don't stop everything, but I'll get back to that later...

We now had some wood so I started building some beds because some immigrants had just arrived and the population had nearly doubled. With some wood now (I needed to use it sparingly) I started work on a dangeroom for the training of our army. There were 9 training spears connected to a lever which the soldiers stood over and dodged and block etc. as they came out of the ground. This wasn't very effective because it seemed that there was a lack of weapons in the fortress and as I couldn't be bothered getting coal or whatever the primitive metal forge needs, I decided to dig down until we found magma. (don't worry, I made sure no magma creatures could get inside our fortress)

On the surface I expanded the wall and dug a deep moat with a drawbridge and placed some ballista pointing out of fortifications. I also covered the roof so no flying creatures could get in. (over the refuse pile there are some huge bridges that can be raised and lowered in case of attack from the air(they aren't completed yet though))

Shortly after this is the Giant Langur massacre of 253.

There were about 6 deaths including 2 babies. The military was called out but couldn't do much to avenge the death. Moral is at an all time low... Amongst several tantrums, two people are murdered and the trade depot is destroyed while the dwarven civilization is trading meaning we get all their stuff, which is good I suppose (I hope that doesn't hurt relations)

To raise the spirits, I constructed new bedrooms made out of smoothed rock and a new dining room with heaps of seats and tables. The dining room is engraved all around it telling the history of its previous rulers. According to one engraving, a dwarf by the name of Kib Netfastens died of thirst in 252. The alcohol is in abundance now.

I was also appointed militia captain of my own squad (currently with no other members) and will be using the dangeroom to hone my skills.

Getting back to the "why you should be careful about doors in caverns" topic, a forgotten beast made of snow came from underground and destroyed the door and killed 2 on his way up the stairs. I sent the militia after him and a wrestler punched his head off his shoulders ending the reign of terror of this evil snowman.

By the way I found adamantine and mined some. Still heaps there though.

My time as ruler is nearly over, more waves of immigrants have arrived and the population is somewhere at around 80. We got heaps of wood from the caravans so that's good. The fortress is relatively secure from enemies now, but could do with some more traps. I have some giant langur prisoners but I thought I'd leave them to the next ruler to deal with as they will.

I now hand the title of ruler onto the next in line and hope that you can further the success of the fortress of Ragcopper!

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 10:29:52 pm »
CHEESE AND CRACKERS! damn maheusz, mabye you just got a bad deal, even wallace was good enough at the fortress to not send it over in such a fit.
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 06:17:59 am »
It's the crundles, these crundles, man. Bane of my existence.

xmorg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »
the Year is 254, imma firin up mah lazer!
a raw adamantine coffer artefact has just been created!
The Trade Depot has been rebuilt.
A forgotten beast has appeared!
Consolidating the military and assigning equipment.
Created a team of archers, named "Boltrage"
Noticed that there was a "unauthorized" one man militia running around, hehe.
The forgotten beast attacks!  several dwarves died, one by being "blown apart" after hitting an obstacle.   Several dwarves suddenly died after the fighting from "suffocation".
A hospital was built in response.
The Archery range was finished.-> assigned to "Boltrage", the first xbow team.
The draft will be called again for the heavy infantry that lost a few in the melee with the forgotten beast.

wallace

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 06:26:13 am »
Is Wallace alive? :o Don't say he's was amongst the dead!

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »
So at last I arrived. The place where my dear brother laid his bones to rest. It took long years before I got the news. Even more time took getting the caravan ready. I begged, I threatened and in the end Secret Dwarven Council let me try my best at locating and controlling cursed settlement of Ragcopper.

The first thing I understood after arriving was that it is indeed cursed. Mighty walls and strong soldiers are nothing when two Forgotten Beasts are lurking about. At the very moment I went inside battle with Tharama Crushnail, the eyeless serpent goes on. I pray to Armok that the warriors are victorious, because few already lie dead on dark, cold cavern floor.

In the epic battle Asen Berdanreg, militia captain fights the beast one on one - all his comrades either dead, or dying - torn to pieces by vulgar thing. And then - in an instant fiend is stricken down. Near it lies brave captain - still alive.

It's the time for me to met every dwarf who survived this ordeal... I sure hope it'll be the only one. Yet my sharpened instincts tell me otherwise - maheusz II Lilarzefon the Miner.

There were some cold criminal cases... thankfully the Forgotten Beast has already taken care of any suspects... so the life in fortress continues. Uninterrupted I hope.

Somehow the alcohol stock went dangerously low. I already ordered new batch to be made, but these are some unforgivable mistakes. I'll record them in my journal all right!

The forgotten beast found a way to harass us. It took a liking to lurk under our well. One of the dwarves called Flash already died to it's deadly and salty attacks...

Morale is low. We lost many good dwarves already. And in turn Thadolin 'Master Chef', our surgeon is throwing a tantrum. I hope there will not be much bloodsheed.
Oh, hell. Who am I kidding? ... Welp he is lying on his bed. In hospital. So no casualities as of now.

In other news trees are starting to grow in some rooms. I'm cutting them down to have beds and bins. Oh, dwarven ingenuity is the best!

Militia Captain 'Cobweb' starts the experiment. He is a tamer of great skill... and his mission will be to tame Giant Gray Langur. If it works our military starts to get stronger and stronger. Also few surviving dogs are getting their paws sharpened in new, shiny kennels.

Also I find THIS disturbing:

Woe is mine!
Salt Hill Titan is coming to crush us! Close the gates! Save the children and elderly! Find the good lever!

Well... that was fast. It just... died after one bolt. Anticlimatic!

Oh Armok... babies are dying all over the place... from thirst. What is the world coming to?

Oh, Xmorg - never change :D.

I was thinking about the green stuff on the ground... maybe this Armok forsaken place has at least created some grass? I was wrong. So wrong. Green stuff was vomit from my fellow dwarves not used to sun. Not anymore.

Dwarf 'Wally' was taken by mood... hopefully he'll create something useful. Nope, he took craftsdwarf workshop. So... nothing interesting. MY GOOD ARMOK... raw adamantine earring... this FOOL! Perfectly fine adamantum...

First steps are taken to ensure bigger and better aboveground fortress. Hopefully no ambush will catch my builders unaware... out there in the dangerous fields.

ANOTHER FORGOTTEN BEAST - PTEROSAUR. Can it fly? If the answer is yes... I could have some problems.
Nope... it seems stumped for some reason.

Elves = wood. A lot of it.

So many Giant Lagurs... but this time we're prepared. They die on the traps and to our hunters. Never again we will suffer like before. Never!

I just now noticed that somebody made outer doors so small that no caravan with wagons can enter... I've just remade it. A bit. It's autumn now. Soon I'll retire and watch. Or die.

Wow... remember that forgotten beast? Flying Forgotten Beast? With poison bite and stuff? It just came down, killed like ten dwarves... and then died. And just when I was preparing to retire... story of my life.

And now there is even the ghost haunting the fortress... I have to engrave special slab for him. That is the last thing we can do - his bones are forever lost. Sadly.

Another Forgotten Beast - giant leech. Thankfully it should be outside our underground walls. If not... then it's poisonous sting will make widows. And orphans.

Vile force of darkness has arrived!

Stalemate.

Aaaaaaand they're gone. Easy win, only one dwarf wasn't fast enough to hide.

Hawkgirl, captain of the guard has made a perfect gold opal artifact! Useful for... nothing! But it's sweet anyway. Right?

Also I noticed that second of our artifacts is lying on the stairs up... Just on -1 level. Why? I cannot fathom.

And another siege... when winter should end soon. We'll see. We'll burrow and wait. And hope that death takes besiegers!

The winter ends. Siege is practically broken - dead bodies on the bridge of death and some fools fighting losing battle against militia downstairs. But... this battle is not mine. Fight with glory! Fight for Armok!