Author Topic: Combat A bit too hard?  (Read 13422 times)

densley

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Combat A bit too hard?
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »
Hey First off let me thank you for making this amazing game I've really fell in love with it and I'm proud to have bought the alpha on Desura something I'm recommending all my friends to do as well.

However I dunno if its just me but at the moment I'm relying on attacking until I'm nearly dead then running back to a previous area just to heal then going back again to attack and basically just repeating that system. It was pretty much the only way to get past the bandits that you have to deliver a package to and seems like my only available tactics when fighting the mutants.

I've done all the possible sidequests up to this point and spent all my points in mostly combat points and defence so it just seems kinda wrong I have to cheat the system just to survive.

Anyway like I said I'm really enjoying the game and if I'm doing something wrong please enlighten me!

Thanks Again for all your hard work at making this soon to be classic!

pringdew

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Combat A bit too hard?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:14:37 pm »
i was having the same problem but i was dying alot too...grenades if you can find them help alot, the pyrokinesis skill is awesome since its an area effect weapon works really well....and my number one suggestion is to either buy or create some metal armor asap as it soaks alot of the mechanical damage that you are taking....hope that helps....

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:40:01 pm »
I completed most or all of the content for the purchased alpha version.  I was really burning through the health injectors and bandages early on.  I would agree with the other poster that grenades are the great equalizer.  I would also try to work myself into a situation where I could hide behind a door, open the door, take a shot, close the door, end-turn....this works particularly well against the sentry bots and dogs.  Once your gun skill is high enough and you can get a gun with burst capabilities you can do a lot more damage with firearms.  I enjoyed the challenge though, it is definitely not easy at first...look forward to being challenged in the full game as well, rather than just strolling though.

densley

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:44:13 pm »
Thanks A Lot for the advice guys I really appreciate it!

pringdew

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 01:18:21 am »
i believe styg is going to nerf that door exploit....

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 05:43:19 am »
Regarding removal of the door exploit:

He probably should fix that somehow...either by making some doors destructible or having the AI retreat.  It was honestly the only way for my non stealth character to survive early on.  Then again dogs aren't that smart and can't open doors...so it might be realistic there.  Those acid spitting dogs were just nasty to beat straight up...then again I could have probably shelled out some money for better armor as well. 

One thing, when the door looks like a curtain perhaps anything should be able to open it...is a curtain going to hold back a snarling wolf? Probably not.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:44:52 am by hillman »

toudi_sk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Madbrahmin Vault Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
Dr. Pasquale heal you priceless and you can purchase stronger gun than 5m Hawker, sniper rifle is good choice :P
I apologize for my google translator english

looking for NORTH? follov number 3

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:37:13 pm »
The game is supposed to be a bit harder so that it forces you to use more than just your primary weapon attacks and a lot of fights are balanced around the player having the ability to disable some of the opponents temporarily (flashbang, telekinetic punch, flares, forcefield, etc). So I don't plan to make the game any easier in that regard.

That said, there are certain fights, particularly in the early game (like the package delivery one), that end up being too difficult for some character builds and I'll be looking into those to either tone them down a bit or provide that type of character more tools to overcome them.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:14:02 pm »
That said, there are certain fights, particularly in the early game (like the package delivery one), that end up being too difficult for some character builds and I'll be looking into those to either tone them down a bit or provide that type of character more tools to overcome them.

Yay! I had a real hard time overcoming that battle with my orthodox gun slinger, the abcent of sneak and grenades made that fight nearly impossible, considering the lvl your character is at that point.

Ergil

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 06:37:45 pm »
One thing that makes combat tricky is that your enemies almost always go first. This is especially annoying in fights that are preceded by conversations (package bandits, GMS raiders, Junkyard thugs), as even if you're the one who chooses to terminate the conversation you still go last.

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 07:50:56 pm »
I think Ergil brings up a good point - for instance, at the GSM compound <spoiler ahead> - when you find the two raiders and the old guy at the lowest level, you can choose to attack in the conversation, yet the raiders go first in combat.  I feel like the player should gain the first turn advantage when he chooses the "attack" option in dialogue...The impetus for combat should begin with you when you choose to initiate it.  What do ya' thing Styg?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
Yeah, I'll be looking to fix that in the future.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:57 pm »
This is bullshit.
Right now I complete walkthrough with 1st level character.
I have done ALL quests with this character.

Dickie

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 06:31:01 pm »
Yeah, it depends on how you play. If you just buy all the grenades you find in stores and use them liberally, most fights are pretty easy. The only problem I have is robots stun-locking me. If you just try to shoot everybody to death with a pistol, you're gonna have some problems. I do agree that there should be some way to get the drop on people from dialogs though.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »
Secbot isn't a problem.
Grenade + shockbolt, than 2-3 armor piercing bullet from 7.62 or 9 mm (or what you have), or retreat the corner.
I even never use door trick with them.