Author Topic: Why all monsters in different areas are the same?  (Read 2663 times)

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Why all monsters in different areas are the same?
« on: April 03, 2016, 11:52:45 pm »
So what am I trying to say is that all same monsters in Underrail are equal. For example: azuridae who lives near SGS has 110 HP, azuridae who lives near Rail Crossing has 110 HP, azuridae in Deep Caverns also have 110 HP. They all have the same damage, same HP, same abilities, but killing azuridae with level 1-5 character is not the same as killing it with 20+ level character. And as a result we have hard and interesting start of the game, when you need to use your brain to win the battle. After a while player becomes more skilled, grows in levels, gets more powerful weapons, but all monsters remains the same and the battle against those weak monsters (compared to more experienced player) becomes boring faceroll process.

Maybe you need to make enemies more powerful depending on place where they live? The more player goes to north - the more powerful monsters he should encounter. For example: azuridae near SGS can have default 110 HP, those ones who lives near Rail Crossing can have 200 HP and more PSI abilities, the ones who lives in vicinity of Core city can have 250 HP, and those who lives in DC can have maximum 300+ HP and even more PSI abilities. Of course high HP monster with additional abilities should drop better components. This way it will be interesting to fight same types of monsters on different levels and in different locations, not like now, when 10+ level character encounter two azuridaes and thinks "argh, another boring fight in Underrail, hate those useless time wasting weaklings, die fast and let me go futher". Fights should be interesting throughout all game, not during the first 5-10 levels like now.

The same thing with Rathounds, Siphoners, etc. At a certain stage they start to die even if a player looks in their direction and it's not fun  :(

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Why all monsters in different areas are the same?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:44:12 am »
There are other options besides killing them if that isn't your cup of tea.

You can sneak past such mobs. Or you can 'run' past them and into the next zone.  No need to stop and kill them if you don't like it.

Personally I do a combo of all the above. Usually I'll kill them all on a first time thru a particular area. If they respawn later; I might just sneak or run past them.

While it might be cool to have different 'levels' of them; it isn't a big deal to me. I don't see enough areas respawning to make it an issue for me. Most areas don't respawn - and the ones that do aren't many or hard to get through in other ways besides killing.

Keep in mind this is a 'small indie' developer. They probably don't have the resources to do a lot of things that might be cool. Just go with the flow... :)

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:45:48 am »
So you want regional level scaling of monsters?

Personally, I prefer not level scaling animals, but crafting more difficult encounters with them, or introducing tougher subspecies, like it was done for rat hounds or burrowers.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:47:46 am by player1 »

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:48:35 am »
Taggart, there's a ton of different weapons, heavy armors, explosives, crafting skills and PSI abilities in the game, so the game is more about fighting and exploring. But the thing is that it's not fun to fight low level monsters after some time. We have many high level equipment, but it's not interesting to use it against low level weaklings. Yes, you can use sneak, but with this strategy game will be even more boring, than it is if you ask me, I want to use full potential of my character and have interesting encounters and situations during all the game process, not the first 1-10 levels. And I think It's not so hard to give current monsters (there is no need to change model) more HP and abilities depending on how far to the north they live, I hope sometime Styg will do it.

player1, yep, regional level scaling for low level mobs would be cool, also it would be cool to bring some more ancient Rathounds, Burrower warriors and Cuttlesnails from DC to upper Underrail and make them in Deep Caverns even more powerful. It could be tough for casual players, so maybe there is no need to change current low difficulty, but normal and high needs an upgrade for sure.

Styg and his team made great game with ton of cool stuff, but game in it's current condition is too easy for skilled player and it's more fun to create and test different builds on first 1-10 levels and start from begining again and again due to non linear difficulty level.

Megabiquette

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:07:23 am »
The solution is having monster variants like rathound/rathound alpha/ancient rathound.

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:28:37 am »
The solution is having monster variants like rathound/rathound alpha/ancient rathound.

But Styg will have to make new models of tough Azuridae, Silphoners etc. and I think it's much harder than simply adding HP and abilities to current models in northern locations.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 05:07:51 pm »
Well they already have that hidden Black Crawler that is tougher then other Crawlers, using same model.