Author Topic: Alternative way to open locks?  (Read 3537 times)

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Alternative way to open locks?
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:08:21 pm »
For now it's necessary to have either lockpicking or hacking skills or even both of them if player dont want to miss huge pile of items during game walkthrough, because there is no other way to open closed containers without those skills. Maybe there is a way to add some alternative ways to open closed doors and boxes? With firearms, for example: player will have to shot some bullets to open the lock with a risk of damaging lock permanently and with ton of noise. The same way with meele weapons, the higher strength character have - the higher chance to open the lock, of course with a chance to damage it permanently and some penalty to weapon durability + alternate way to use crowbar. Chemistry oriented players could use acid or small doses of explosives for the same purposes.

Come on, it should be another way to open those closed doors and footlockers, at least most part of them. Stealth character with high lockpicking skill still will have advantage over the others, because he will be able to open locks without noise and risk of damaging it, skill still be valuable. Perfect example - JA2, where you can shot the lock, you can use crowbar, you can use explosives, you can use brutal force or mechanic skills and lockpicks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:09:59 pm by Darthgrey »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative way to open locks?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:15:06 pm »
+1

However it seems pretty hard to implement at this stage.

On the other hand I think opening those doors/cages isn't mandatory for finishing the game, does it not?

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 10:47:12 pm »
Of course opening those doors/boxes aren't mandatory for finishing the game, but people without lockpick skill will miss a lot of cool stuff because there are so many locked crates on each level and random is so ruthless! And to be honest it's hard to see locked box without a way to open it.

Now to open all locked crates you must spend 115 points on lockpick and 115 points on hacking (in fact a bit less because of synergies, huxkey will give 15 more points and I haven't seen locks with more than 130 skill requirement, well maybe it was one with 135). One more way to open locks will provide extra ~100 skill points for people who dont want to miss locked crates content, it will give some more variability to all builds.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:54:35 am »
Although you have a valid point and I don't want to discourage you, I have got the suspicion that it ain't gonna happen. Loot is pseudorandom and there are a few non locked containers too.

But maybe Styg or someone else can prove me wrong.

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:46:50 am »
Such a change would really altar the balance of the game, IMO (not saying that's good or bad - just recognizing that).

If you could open/hack locks without investing skill points - you'd basically free up that many points to use in other ways - making he PC more "powerful".

As far as enemies that might hear you if you make "noise",   I haven't run into any locks, except in friendly areas, that, if too tough at the time, I could not just wait until later when I could kill the enemies. In said case, it doesn't matter how much "noise" you make.

In friendly areas, and even with Burglar feat - there are locks I haven't gotten into because it was too risky in terms of getting caught.  That leaves basically the difference between all the locked containers vs only those you wouldn't risk anyways as the ones you would "lose out on" by saving the skillpoints in lockpicking and hacking (assuming your PC is unskilled and won't unlock any of them because you don't want to make "noise").

To me, having alternate methods frees up quite a few skillpoints. That would really affect the current game balance. I don't think such a change should be put in without the overall balance also being adjusted.

JMO

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:06:11 am »
Taggart, well, characters who shots at locked crates or uses explosives to open them could receive less items from them (some of those locked items will be permanently damaged and will turn into rubbish during such violent process of opening, for example  ;D )

Or just add a possibility to use only explosives, and it will be good for opening locked doors (for now it looks strange that player can destroy rock blockage in the caves with TNT, but in the same time this powerful explosive is useless againgst closed doors). But if you use it to open closed box - there will be a significant chance to destroy it with all it's contents.

I think there are some ways to add variability and make current lockpick and hacking skills still valuable, at least it will be hard to use explosives within city territory and it is heavy and expensive and if you want to craft it - you must spend some points in chemistry.