Author Topic: Requesting crossbow build from Wildan  (Read 33040 times)

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting crossbow build from Wildan
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 06:14:16 am »
What kind of a build are you planing to go for?
A knife fighter is well suited for a stun immune assassin with lots of HP, many attacks thanks to throwing knifes plus amazing critical damage. One of my favorite build as it's very fit for permadeath runs.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:17:36 am by Wildan »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 07:32:24 am »
I guess my build is not good enough then. I dont have con for thick skull. But anyways here is build to satisfy curiosity: :)

Lvl 11
S3
D12
A10
C3
P3
W5
I6

Hunter
Opportunist
Recklessness
Sprint
Crippling strike
Cheap shots
Ripper
Taste of Blood

Skills: melee, stealth, dodge, evasion, lockpicking, traps, hacking, mechanics. No tailoring so i cant really craft anything interesting :(

My dmg with kukri says its 15-32 but Crit chance is 34%/150% mod. Been doing well until i ran into robots and faceless in Rail Crossing. I also killed Ratking at lvl 8 or 9 i think.. lured him into traps.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 09:34:03 am »
Doesn't look bad actually. :) 
Crippling Strike was maybe not the best choice as Kukri does the same thing, even better. As you've noticed it is the best support knife for most of the time as you can stack max cripple debuffs very quickly. That feat is still not wasted however. You could replace the Kukri with the unique Humanizer knife when you get it. Awesome for CC.

Since you're going for high DEX it would be good to get Fatal Throw asap. Throwing knifes are considered light weapons so the base 18 AP cost gets reduced by 4% for each DEX above 5, meaning when you kill with it you get way more AP back then you invest in throwing it. It has also perfect synergy with Ripper. Other feats you should fit in: Critical Power, Blitz, Expose Weakness and Cut Throat. Since you already have 6 INT I assume you want some crafting feats and you should definatelly be able to put lots of points into tailoring. As for the feats Power Management for stronger shield and Skinner would be good choices. Maybe Weaponsmith if you can squeeze it in but there are usually more important feats like Nimble for example. Interloper is also a very good choice if you have trouble closing in for the Cut Throat kill.
See, this is the problem with aassassin builds - there are so many good feats you can benefit alot from but so few feat slots. That's why I actually prefer not to pick crafting feats and leave INT at 5.

One route is to go for max AGI, as you did, the other to keep it at 6, DEX at 14 (You can still get 4AP attacks with Taste for Blood. 5 WIL as well for Ripper, leave INT at 5 for Expose Weakness and Cheapshots and maximise CON, not only for Thick Skull but also for Survival Instincts later on as critical chance and damage is your bread and butter.

It looks something like this:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:39:24 am by Wildan »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 11:13:13 am »
Interesting. But with that build there is no skill points left for crafting tree. So would that be ok?

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 01:36:19 pm »
It is tight indeed but mangable. You usually don't need to max out a crafting skill in any build that hasn't dumped INT completely.

Here is how to min/max crafting with any build (spoiler):
There is a food item called Junkyard Suprise which gives you up to +2 in a random stat. We have 7 stats so with a bit of luck (100/14 ~ 7,1% chance) you'll get +2 INT so buy Junkyard Surprise at any given chance and plan ahead. You can calculate how much skill you need at any given time. Best you use the "+2" opition with INT on the character creator: http://underrail.info.tm/

There is also a player home in Core City you get after completing one of the 3 oligarchy questlines. It has a basement and the possibility to add crafting tables by buying them from certain merchants in Underrail. When you get them go there and your corresponding skill gets a 15% bonus (It's seems to be a bit higher actually). It's quite a walk though so I usually leave my stuff at the SGS home and go there with nothing but components for weapons, armors, traps, drugs - really anything I will eventually use for crafting, eat Junkyard Surprise (you can do it in Junkyard or SGS as it lasts for 20 minutes which is plenty) and make everything I can in one go in the basement.

So for an crafting example:
You gathered good components for an energy shield you want to make. Go to the crafting menu, put the components in the slots and look at the skill requirement. Let say it's 92 in electronics you need. Divide 92 by 1.15 because of basement bonus and you'll get 80. (if it's not an integer round it up). Open the character creator, put in your level stats, skills and mark the "+2" option on INT. Now raise your skill in the character creator till the effective skill (the one in the brackets) reaches 80. That's your effective crafting skill you need and it equals 64 invested points. Compare it with your character in the game. If you don't have enough just raise it on your next level up and then go for crafting.

With the build above I max melee, dodge and evasion, usually get throwing and stealth pretty high but not maxed, a bit lockpicking, hacking and biology for the traps. Very high electronics and pretty high mechanics and tailoring. Everything fits in nicely if you don't raise skills blindly but do the min/maxing I described above. It's not for everybody though as it requires some work.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:59:15 am by Wildan »

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »
Trying to get that +2 INT with Junkyard Surprise requires really tedious save scumming.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2016, 03:40:39 am »
@epeli
Awesome! Kudos to you!
Yup, I just checked it again in my current game. Electronics 125 (156) jumps to (179) - exactly 15%. :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:47:30 am by Wildan »

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 10:07:38 am »
I got third character running, this time its that electric hammer crit guy who Wildan posted in other thread. I got spiked  (not seratted .. to bad) galvanic tungsten armor  in shop in Junkyard.  Got to lvl 8 and entered place with mutants and mutated dogs.. (yard where you get that part requested by SGS) and its too hard for this build. Im playing on hard, that might be the case.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:11:22 am by Eldakar »

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 10:19:51 am »
Are you playing ironman?
Btw. you don't have to go straight to Junkyard and Depot A after finishing Gorsky his task. If I can use traps or snipe from afar I usually head south-west first (turn left at the trains in SGS) and collect some experience in those caves. It's worth a level or two at that point and it's easier than Depot A, just be careful not to get stunned by the pigs. That lake with Syphoners west of Junkyard also has lots of experience to offer - super easy with traps.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 11:12:46 am »
No no ironman. I did finish Jagged alliance 2 and Fallout tactics on ironman tho.

I also play oddity experience. I think the other hammer build would be better. That trick with electrokinesis is not worth it imho.
Another thing is pummel - i find it disapointing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:16:11 am by Eldakar »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 05:22:59 pm »
Yes, I also tend to find mauler builds too overrated.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:09 pm »
@player1
Not necessarily. Just eat more junk without savescumming! Junkyard Surprises are cheap...

Actually that is even worse due to 5s cooldown.

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 10:52:50 pm »
@player1
Not necessarily. Just eat more junk without savescumming! Junkyard Surprises are cheap...

Actually that is even worse due to 5s cooldown.
I hesitantly agree.

At first I used to keep piles of Junkyard Surprise and just eat eat eat until I got the combo I wanted.

Then, one time, I accidentally ate one more; which was also my last one - so I reloaded.

To my surprise, the reload was a lot quicker than the time to eat another one.

So now, I admit it, I save scum it - it's just quicker to eat/reload until the right combo comes up, than it is to eat eat eat. And, if you are unlucky, you end up "eating up" a lot of time trying to get that right combo. Save scumming saves quite a bit of time, over time, if you end up unlucky.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 06:11:22 am »
Another surprise is that game saves longer than it loads (:
But YMMV.

Cratzzz

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 10:04:36 pm »
What kind of a build are you planing to go for?
A knife fighter is well suited for a stun immune assassin with lots of HP, many attacks thanks to throwing knifes plus amazing critical damage. One of my favorite build as it's very fit for permadeath runs.

Hey just wanna say thx, decided too try your build and it's been alot of fun! Nice synergy with everything. lvl6 atm and feels crazy strong. With that amount of HP, AP, Dodge and Evasion every round is over before it's even started ^^

Running Nimble, Recklessness, Sprint, Crippling Strike and Cheap Shots atm. Getting Taste for Blood next :)