Author Topic: Holloway quest confusion... (spoilers)  (Read 1859 times)

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Holloway quest confusion... (spoilers)
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:45 pm »
I am confused on handling the Holloway quest.

Col Cathcart tells me, "If you find yourself in a difficult situation, then by all means you're allowed to defend yourself. Otherwise... just report back to Consul. We'll do the rest then."

So I peacefully tell Holloway, "I think we're done here, Holloway. You'll get the Protectorate answer shortly."

Then I go "report back to Consul". I tell Consul, "About those renegade soldiers..."

Consul, "Ah, yes, Corporal. What of them?"

My PC, "1. Nothing. I'll come back later."

No other dialog choices except that #1.

It seems clear that I don't have to attack them. Indeed, I should not attack - I should instead ".. report back to Consul. We'll do the rest then.."

Since Holloway isn't attacking me, I don't need to defend myself.

Feels like Consul should have some other dialog, such as "Thank you Corporal, we'll take it from here.." or something.

I have zero in Persuasion and Intimidation - so those options don't work with Holloway.

Am I missing something? Seems like the only way to advance this quest is to attack them; while the dialog implies I should not and that I should only report back (unless they attack me; which they aren't).

I'm running 1.0.1.4 from GOG.  Attached is a composite image of the dialogs.

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Holloway quest confusion... (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 01:08:58 am »
Not to reply to myself, but does no one else (including the moderators/devs) see this as an issue?  Just me?

Maybe it means I'm "missing the obvious" and thus simply no one feels the need to jump in and add anything to the topic.

But I've looked it all over, again, and it still seems to be heavily implied that you don't have to just go attack them (or just Holloway), and you don't "have" to select a Persuade or Intimidate route (even if you do have sufficient prerequisite skill); and instead are encouraged to report back your findings, and, basically, let Protectorate deal with it.

That implication was not changed by my character not having any points in Persuade or Intimidate (which, BTW, I currently have 3 levels of XP saved up, so I tested those options and they do work - but again - the dialog choices lead me to conclude I can just report back if that's my PC's choice).

As my character is a "stealth" character, I tried the "sneak in and kill Holloway only and sneak out, undetected. That also works; but results in a dead person.  My PC is sympathetic to Holloway's "cause" and thus doesn't choose to do that.

But (again), the dialog points to not having to do those things (attack or use a Persuade or Intimidate option) if one's PC would choose not to - and instead the PC should be able to just report back and let Protectorate handle things from there.

If that isn't an intended conclusion then it seems like a fair issue to say the dialog ought to reflect that.

No?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:01 am »
We'll look into it.

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:56:26 am »
You are absolutely right. The dialogue already implies it, and it makes perfect sense, yet the option to simply report your findings to the consul and let the Protectorate take care of it is missing for some reason. Will be fixed for the next update, and thanks for pointing it out.

Taggart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:51:39 pm »
Cool, thanks!

I'll hold off on advancing this quest for the time being..