Author Topic: Dev Log #46: Version 1.0.1.4 Release - Quality of Life Improvements  (Read 14870 times)

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #46: Version 1.0.1.4 Release - Quality of Life Improvements
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:55:23 pm »
I like all the changes except for the new font, which to me seems more like a step backwards instead of an improvement. It looks blurry, vertically streched, and a bit "cheap", like from a half-baked mobile game. From the typographic standpoint it feels unnatural and unbalanced. For example, when you look at the inventory screen above, the letter "v" and "e" are too spaced out but "e" and "n" or "I" and "n" actually touch each other. This would happen with some letters with the old font too but was less obvious. It was not perfect but it fit the style of the game very well and ironically, it was easier to read, even on a smaller screen.

IMO this is the first bad decision of game design in Underrail and it affects the entire game.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 04:40:06 pm »
It looks blurry, vertically streched, and a bit "cheap", like from a half-baked mobile game. From the typographic standpoint it feels unnatural and unbalanced. For example, when you look at the inventory screen above, the letter "v" and "e" are too spaced out but "e" and "n" or "I" and "n" actually touch each other. This would happen with some letters with the old font too but was less obvious. It was not perfect but it fit the style of the game very well and ironically, it was easier to read, even on a smaller screen.

Perfectly said!
+1 karma from me
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:13:24 pm by player1 »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 09:45:34 am »
IMO this is the first bad decision of game design in Underrail and it affects the entire game.

Bad decision are those that can't be fixed, and I don't think it really affect that much. But as option to switch to old fonts - yeah, if it doesnt need too much time to implement it.

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 10:49:50 am »
Decisions don't need to be irreversible to be bad... and Wildan says it affects entire game because the aesthetics of the font are present everywhere, in every part of UI, every conversation, etc. He is right.

Assume font needed update from raster to vector, but new font does not fit aesthetics of game. Looks out-of-place generic. Like if font of Fallout were replaced with Helvetica or something.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 12:48:55 pm »
On the contrary I think it affect only... font, not entire game. )
And I have no problem with it, at all.

VoidsX

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 08:33:36 pm »
I kind of liked the old font, any possibility to bring them back?

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 12:20:04 am »
Only bad thing about this font is its hard on these old eyes - trying to solve the mutagen puzzle, and the B looks like 8 and vis-versa

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 12:43:58 am »
Huh, nearly missed this one.
Took me a few seconds of staring to actually find out what was different.
Good changes all around. Sides the font, I suppose, but that's just the font, being able to change sizes is always good.
I certainly like the letters small, I got sharp eyes and don't see a need to move them all the time just to read a half-sentence. :D
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

blakjak

• Probably not a Spambot
  • sic itur ad astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 04:32:28 am »
Doing a new playthrough in this patch, and I noticed where I sometimes could watch pillar visions with 10 Will I now cannot. Was there a change to some skill checks for them?

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 09:32:40 pm »
Yeah, now it isn't a Will, it is Thought skill that ckecked.

blakjak

• Probably not a Spambot
  • sic itur ad astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 03:33:08 am »
They still check for Will, but now you also need Thought Control to get Bilocation from Silent Isle.

Yeah, now it isn't a Will, it is Thought skill that ckecked.

I knew of this change, but I was more surprised to see that with 10 Will I failed checks on other pillars in-game, which had worked with 10 Will last patch.