Author Topic: An Anarchists thank you  (Read 3192 times)

AnarchyIsFun

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
An Anarchists thank you
« on: January 30, 2016, 03:00:58 am »
Thank you for presenting Anarchism in a positive light and properly explaining the philosophy. To often the ideology is painted in a negative and violent light and its just not true. Glad a video game as chill as this could be used as medium to convey the message.

FREE DRONES!!! HANG ALL THE CANS!!!!  ;D

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
Re: An Anarchists thank you
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 02:03:16 pm »
I love the biting irony behind the Free Drones/Protectorate questline. First time you meet the Drones, you are greeted by this guy quipping stereotypical Tumblr-anarcho purple prose, and so you very likely end up rolling your eyes and choosing Protectorate instead, only to be slapped in the face with the "Gas the Drones" quest. If you decide to swallow the troll bait and go for the Drones nonetheless, you end up meeting some of the coolest characters in the game.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:24:52 pm »
On the other hand, I loved how in Gas the Drone quest, all Drones are named NPCs.

Grim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 03:11:19 pm »
To often the ideology is painted in a negative and violent light and its just not true. (...) HANG ALL THE CANS!!!!
I love how you contradict yourself is the same post ;)

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:26:49 pm »
I met the drones, did their questline... Then decided they were shitty.

Loaded a previous save, gassed them. #NoRegrets.

AnarchyIsFun

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:48:57 am »
No i dont contridict myself, institutionalized violence and hanging abusive tyrants are two different things....that said hang the cans!  :D  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:53:07 am by AnarchyIsFun »

abscisin

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:43:22 pm »
If you decide to swallow the troll bait and go for the Drones nonetheless, you end up meeting some of the coolest characters in the game.

The biggest irony is even if you join them, none of them will be able to make a solid case for their movement. Most of them are just young people with no first hand experience or understanding of the situation, just a vague sense of something not being right, so they blindly fall for propaganda coming from a different source. Ironically Bate is the only one who gives you a specific example when he talks about the surveillance law riots. Not even by doing their questline will you find out more, you have to join Protecorate for reality to slap you in the face. It speaks volumes that even as a pro-Protectorate, convincing SGS to assist the Black Eels is absolutely crucial to get the best ending.

As for Drone ideology, the best explanation/justification actually comes from neutrals, Abram and Eidein.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:04:16 pm »
Neither Abram nor Edein are really "neutral"; they just have bigger fish to fry. Oculus is this game's Assassin sect, only without the indoctrination, and the Institute are just another BioCorp splinter group, focusing on isolationism and eugenics instead of expansionism and assimilation. They are all in some way involved. The Drones may be little more than bandits, but if anything, they are more genuinely neutral than anyone else. Of course very little is known about their actions in North Underrail, which should probably be far more representative of their actual movement.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.