Author Topic: some suggestions after about 5 hrs  (Read 8312 times)

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
some suggestions after about 5 hrs
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:35:32 am »
First let me say that the game has a lot of depth and character.  Anyone who reads this and hasn't voted for steam green light and/or supported the alpha on Desura please do so!

Some suggestions, I'm sure several of these are already being considered but here ya go:

1) We definitely need a run option while out of combat - a shift click for run and 'always run' option would be ideal.  This gem of a game will get roasted for this by reviewers if not implemented.

2) A map easing navigation and pointing out North, South, etc would save a lot of guess work.  Sure you can see a total area that you have discovered when you are in a section you have already been in, but when trying to navigate the cave system it becomes easy to go in the wrong direction.  For instance, I went left instead of right coming out of the caves for the first mission and was way off track for a good hour.  Exploring is great but again I feel that professional reviewers will find fault with the lack of map.

3) As for PSI points regeneration...maybe the player could craft items/devices with varying degrees of passive psy replenishment. A player with high skills could craft a high end device if they invest in the skills and find the necessary parts.  Lesser devices could be crafted as well with weaker regeneration capabilities.  This would encourage players to really invest in PSI skills without constantly shelling out money, yet still making it a resource to be managed.  The crafted device could run on purple mushrooms.  Perhaps the player could even craft a mushroom growing device or something.

4) Crossbow bolts should have a chance for recovery off the corpse of a slain foe.  I'm thinking of 'The Walking dead' series here where one of the characters uses a crossbow and recovers bolts when possible.  One of the advantages of such a weapon is that you can recover ammunition for it.  It doesn't have to be 100% recovery, some will get bent or broken, etc...but it seems kind of silly that bolts just disappear.  If I were in an environment where ammo was sparse, the crossbow would be a go to weapon for this very reason. 

I'm not sure if psy mushrooms grow back over time but I think they should...fungus typically grows pretty quickly and it would add to the realism and make psy more viable...If you can plant spores or they grow back it would kind of be like Pokemon games where you planted berries.  I will add more later, but just know that I wouldn't waste my time offering suggestions unless I thought that you have a chance to make something special here...and you definitely do!  Keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:49:12 am by hillman »

toudi_sk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Madbrahmin Vault Forum
Re: some suggestions after about 5 hrs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:16:47 am »
2) A map easing navigation and pointing out North, South, etc would save a lot of guess work.

4) Crossbow bolts should have a chance for recovery off the corpse of a slain foe. ... It doesn't have to be 100% recovery, some will get bent or broken, etc...but it seems kind of silly that bolts just disappear.  If I were in an environment where ammo was sparse, the crossbow would be a go to weapon for this very reason.

2) I really need hear LOUD AND CLEAR, what direction is NORTH :D 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8?

4) maybe could depend on the gun skill + something else (mechanic crafting e.g.),
starting on 30- 50% chance find undamaged bolt and raise with high skill
I apologize for my google translator english

looking for NORTH? follov number 3

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:21:56 pm »
Haha you troll, well I assumed North was up, east was right, etc...A simple map would help me get my bearings tremendously, rather than make me wonder if I'm going to be exploring in the wrong direction for hours.  It's a time investment I am willing to make and I haven't had too much difficulty so far.  But I guarantee you that the game will get unnecessary criticism on release if there is no map, especially if the areas grow in size and complexity...it is potentially a labyrinth.  It would suck if people don't support this game because reviewers critique it for silly stuff easily remedied.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:54 pm »
Regarding the map, here's a discussion from before:
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=51.0

Btw, north is 3. ;)

toudi_sk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Madbrahmin Vault Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:43:43 pm »
thx, in Fallout was North in direction 1 ;)
I apologize for my google translator english

looking for NORTH? follov number 3

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:30:50 pm »
So it looks like the mindshrooms do grow back unless I'm mistaken...good call there, PSI is a lot more viable considering that.  Good to know which direction North is heh heh...Would have never guessed it.  I love how investing in lock pick and hacking pays off...it's always annoying when you invest in lock picking skills and you end up using it only occasionally.  I also feel like barter and persuasion will pay for themselves.  I'm really hooked on the game and will try to encourage people to buy it wherever possible.

pringdew

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 08:14:50 pm »
bought the game and love it, finally beat it so far and the only downside i found at all was the time it took to quicksave took over 20 seconds....um is it just me or is that too long...?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »
bought the game and love it, finally beat it so far and the only downside i found at all was the time it took to quicksave took over 20 seconds....um is it just me or is that too long...?

20 seconds is a bit too long, so it might be partially you there. But I am aware that saving currently takes too long, especially as you get farther in the game.

I'll be looking into that in the future.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »
So it looks like the mindshrooms do grow back unless I'm mistaken...good call there, PSI is a lot more viable considering that.  Good to know which direction North is heh heh...Would have never guessed it.  I love how investing in lock pick and hacking pays off...it's always annoying when you invest in lock picking skills and you end up using it only occasionally.  I also feel like barter and persuasion will pay for themselves.  I'm really hooked on the game and will try to encourage people to buy it wherever possible.

Thanks for the support. :)

I found the economy to be the hardest thing to balance so far. It's still work in progress there and will probably be until the final release, so expect changes.

Btw, mindshrooms do regrow after an hour (RL time).

pringdew

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:13 am »
will do a uninstall and clean reinstall and try again and check the time it takes to save....

Oldbolt

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:04:16 am »

I find it takes 10 seconds to save and also 10 seconds on transition of maps.  Is this the norm?

Windows 8 64bit
intel i5 3.4ghz
8gb mem
GTX660
500gb 7200rpm AHCI mode.
Sleep: Something to do when bored!

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:43:21 pm »
Saving/loading takes a bit too long atm and I'm aware of that.

The reason it probably takes long for you to transition is because you have 'save on transition' turned on.

Could you check if that's the case?

Oldbolt

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »
Saving/loading takes a bit too long atm and I'm aware of that.

The reason it probably takes long for you to transition is because you have 'save on transition' turned on.

Could you check if that's the case?

Amazing!  Almost instant transition with 'autosave on transition' turned off.
Thanks Styg.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:35:50 pm by Oldbolt »
Sleep: Something to do when bored!