Author Topic: I just wanted to say "Thanks" for an amazing game.  (Read 1690 times)

Kibbles

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
I just wanted to say "Thanks" for an amazing game.
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:46:02 pm »
Since I felt it needed to be said, here's a heartfelt "thank you" for both the time it took and the commitment to a single project necessary to release something as amazing as Underrail. It's been almost 15 years since I've had the same sense of exploration and amazement at discovery in a PCRPG, and its absence is something I've almost taken for granted. My last post in this forum was three years ago and I had all but forgotten about Underrail, until I heard it was being released in December. I fondly remembered the early tech demo, and what I got as an end product is nothing short of amazing.

As an old-timer who grew up on Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum and Planescape Torment, Underrail is one of the few games that get the concept of self-paced storytelling and world building absolutely right; where memorable events don't come from a cutscene or a scripted sequence, but are instead put together from environmental detail and player choices. It feels like many modern RPGs suffer from graphics dictating the content (instead of the other way around) and dialogue wheels where any amount of text beyond two lines gets treated as a TL;DR (Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin being wonderful exceptions), but here we have an indie release that holds more life and attention to unique detail than any big-budget title I can recall from these past years. Sure, there's big-name upcoming releases like Tides of Numenera on the horizon, but if it weren't for Kickstarter it would've never seen the light of day (same with PoE)!

It's the combination of all the little things (character-dependent dialogue responses, unique approaches to challenges, item descriptions (nobody does those anymore! It's awful!), NPC details and personalities) that show how much love really went into it. I'm really hoping Underrail was a worthy return in the time and resource investment (I bought 3 copies to share), because that would mean there's still enough others out there who can appreciate something taking so much devotion.

So, thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:50:37 pm by Kibbles »

Toast

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: I just wanted to say "Thanks" for an amazing game.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 12:00:26 am »
It is rather good, isn't it?  :)

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:30:43 am »
Agreed. I feel infuriated any time I remember I paid 60

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:47:46 am »
I've put almost 300 hours into this game since I purchased it which was couple of days after Underrail was officially released.

People like me have been STARVING TO DEATH to no end, waiting for a game such as Underrail and I am VERY grateful that Styg kept working on this great title of his as well as those who supported him along the way.

Hopefully it'll not be another 7 years till we could see a fully fleshed out sequel of sorts, all depends on sales I could imagine so here's to hoping for another one of these!
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

killgor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:41:28 am »
I can only agree, I wrote something similar a few weeks ago. I love this game, thank you again.

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:05 pm »
Hear, Hear!