Author Topic: Impossible end game boss on hard as a Psy user ( little spoiler )  (Read 6347 times)

masodx

• Noob
    • View Profile
Im characters is a heavy psy user and i can't kill last boss ( tchort ) . My dmg output is to low against his super awesome heal regeneration .Did i missed something because my game is really screw up otherwise and I have to restart the game again

also , the boss and tentacles are completely immune to Cryokinetic Orb .the spikes do not hit them at all , after a lot of try , i give up with this spell. it really doesn't help me because it's mainly my best skill . Kinda a bummer i one shot faceless commander around 800 hp and i can't hit the damn thing

Im kinda unhappy to lose my toon  after all the effort spend in the game + deep cavern.

Tolstoi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible end game boss on hard as a Psy user ( little spoiler )
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:21:42 am »
You need to blow up the mutagen tanks scattered around the area, that will curb his regeneration. I used TNT to do it while hiding in stealth mode, you can duck into those little side chambers and break combat for this.

You don't strictly need TNT but it makes it a lot easier, that's for sure.

Did you solve the mutagen puzzle in the room right before going down to face him? That also makes it much easier.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:33:39 pm »
While solving the mutagen puzzle helps by reducing the number of tentacles, I am not sure it's worth trying to destroy the mutagen tanks as a pure psi, because they have high resistances, are immune to criticals and require a lot of damage to bring down. E.g. a critical fireball from my mage would hit a tentacle for over 500 damage, but a nearby mutagen tank for only about 50.

Try thought control instead of metathermics, neural overload is the only type of damage tchort seems to have no resistance against. I suspect those tentacles are not resistant to disabling spells, because you can fear them by setting them on fire. So if you have locus of control, you could try just walking up to tchort and hit his tentacles with an area of effect enrage or fear, and then try to spam neural overload, though you might need drugs and a good psi headband to increase your damage output (but there are components for crafting a thought control headband laying around in the warehouse area). Also, you can hit tchort with implosion first; even with its mechanical resistance the damage will still make a dent in its HPs.

But I have to agree, it seems that metathermics got the short end of the stick in development, because the feats associated with it are largely useless and don't even work well with each other. E.g. thermodynamicity reduces the AP cost if you switch between fire and ice abilities, but that means you will remove any effects (fear, hypothermia) applied by previous methathermic spells. Meanwhile psychokinesis is frankly overpowered when combined with unarmed melee, while thought control gets locus of control, neural overload and bilocation.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:50:53 pm by chimaera »

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 01:19:14 pm »
Destroying the tanks is not only worth it, it's practically mandatory; much more so than solving the mutagen puzzle. Without doing so, Tchort will regenerate almost as much damage as you can inflict on it. Planting TNT in stealth mode and hiding in the nearby lockers while the minions are heading for the source of noise makes it a cakewalk. And as Epeli said, if you're a thought controller, a mass enrage will let you kill Tchort without even taking a single point of damage (provided you did blow up the tanks).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:21:21 pm by TΛPETRVE »
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 04:26:43 pm »
I wouldn't call it mandatory, tchort regenerates what - 200 hps per turn? If you can out-damage that, then it's not worth it. If you can mass enrage the tentacles to attack tchort instead (makes no sense, since aren't those its body parts, but whatever works) and buff up your neural overload damage with drugs and psi headband, it could be enough.

And I'm not sure how successfully you can use those safe rooms without stealth, combat wouldn't end even after several turns when I tried it with my mage.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:32:06 pm »
The left half of the tentacles (the ones that do physical and bio damage) are susceptible to Thought Control. Tchort itself and the right-hand tentacles are immune to most TC powers.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:37:33 pm »
As far as I know psi builds have the biggest single hit damage potential of all the builds in the game, it's ridiculous really, I've seen neural overload and telekinetic punch crit for over 5000+ damage on other forum.

Meanwhile I finally managed to one-shot him with my sniper.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »
Tchort's mechanical resistance takes some punch out of the psychokinesis and metathermics spells, but at least it's not resistant towards neural damage. I don't think a pure psi user can one shot him, unless you can guarantee yourself a "buffed" critical (psionic mania with trance, I guess).
The mutagen tanks are worse for a mage, in my opinion: critical immune, lots of hps, lots of resistances (fire, mechanical, immune towards electricity, don't remember cold). If you can sneak and plant TNT, they are easy. But otherwise? My mage did destroy those tanks - with grenades. And it took 3 mkV against one tank.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:52:36 pm by chimaera »

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:02:57 am »
Now look my good man I too had a VERY VERY heavy psionic oriented character and I had a somewhat close fight but still ended up defeating him and this was with all 7 tentacles and all 3 mutagen tanks operational.

I had a crazy psionic headband with the neural-whatever feat (+15 psi points to maximum pool) as well as meditation (+25 psi points to maximum pool) and atop of that I used a regenerative vest with psi-beetle scale(s)? and an energy shield with 2x 130'ish high frequency modules + recharger which ended up being roughly 1500'ish shielding in total.
All I did was using neural overload as well as some psionic drugs like focus and trance stims, admittedly I got 2 crits off which usually means 500-600 but Tchort still has 2000 health so again it was a bit touch 'nd go not to mention this was my first try since I got too frustrated trying to recreate the exitus-1 sequence.

In my honest opinion you're doing it wrong if you're dependent on one or two psionic powers only in order to win a fight, then again perhaps metathermics aren't as powerful on it's own like thoughtcontrol and psychokinesis are.
My psionic has 135 points in thought control & psychokinesis although I did put 70 in metathermics for the sake of being able to learn from the mentors related to that skill.

Other than that I must say it sounds like a bug if Tchort itself cannot be hit by the cryo-orb.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:15:34 am by X41823T »
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 02:09:13 pm »
Sadly I didn't save the screenshot and I'm yet to try a a proper psi-only build, so I can't confirm if it was cheating or not.

Buy hey, I was able to crit Tchort for 2000+ damage with a sniper rifle and it wasn't even my best attempt, so maybe it's possible. Psi can get pretty high crit damage too.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:57:30 pm »

Other than that I must say it sounds like a bug if Tchort itself cannot be hit by the cryo-orb.
Might be it. I've assumed that the "ball" (center of the cryo-orb spell) should always hit, and it's only the shards which can miss, but I've never tried it against stationary targets like tchort. I don't have any saved games from my mage playthrough to test it, however.

Tolstoi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 05:24:29 pm »

Might be it. I've assumed that the "ball" (center of the cryo-orb spell) should always hit, and it's only the shards which can miss, but I've never tried it against stationary targets like tchort. I don't have any saved games from my mage playthrough to test it, however.

I can confirm that my own cryokinetic orbs didn't work on Tchort or his tentacles either. First thing I tried, and was similarly disappointed to find it was an utter waste of psi.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »

I can confirm that my own cryokinetic orbs didn't work on Tchort or his tentacles either. First thing I tried, and was similarly disappointed to find it was an utter waste of psi.
Looking at the spell description again, it does imply that only the created shards cause damage. That still doesn't explain why neither tchort or none of its tentacles were hit. Could you report it on the bug forum, just to be sure?

Hawke

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
I just finished the game after 69 hours as a Tri-Psi user with 15 will and with my armor about 300(135 base) points in the psi skills..

I killed the boss in 2 rounds using expose weakness followed by telekinetic proxy and implosion and a telekinetic fist.

The first implosion did about 900 damage followed by the copied one doing about 450 and both fists did about 400 each (not sure if they crit)

I just ran in at the start and locus of control enraged one group of tentacles and force fielded myself from the other group.

if you deal with the mutagen tanks i don't think he can regen either.

Shamoke

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 07:22:43 pm »
Psionics are OP. Stacking Crit damage is OP. Together you get to 1shot the boss. I never even attempted the mutagen puzzle as I stumbled into the final boss room while exploring before going back to my loot pile to bring the mutagens I had collected.

For anyone wondering how, I had 16 will and an effective thought control skill of 305 with my headband and psi beetle armor. My crit damage bonus was 287% with the feat, headband, and trance drug. With this it was just a matter of first using mental breakdown to double the effectiveness of the next thought control ability and then forcing a crit with psionic mania before using neural overload.

I've also seen the post of the guy who did 5k damage. He mentioned that the crit damage bonus of one of the unique melee weapons applied to psionic abilities but he never answered which one it was and I couldn't figure it out myself or maybe I just never found it. I think he was probably also using toxic gas grenades for the contaminated debuff.