Author Topic: Best armor for PSI melee build? High movement  (Read 7426 times)

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Best armor for PSI melee build? High movement
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:02:08 pm »
Infused rathound leather chest for the 10% crit, with soft foam padding, and black cloth?

Still up in the air about boots.  Can't decide on the infused ancient rathound or ninja tabis.

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Best armor for PSI melee build? High movement
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:06:37 pm »
Just saw that regular boots with infused rathound leather boost crit damage. i can  get behind that, but you lose out on so much movement.  what do you guys think?

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:03:34 am »
It might help to give an indication of what stage in the game this is for. Is it to be your only armour set? At what level? With a specific map / terrain / enemy / mission in mind or in general? I'm using the Rathound King's Regalia at the moment with Tabi boots (at level 16) for the express purpose of exploring quickly (or just running across cleared maps to get somewhere), but I also carry 2 other sets (helm/chest/feet) for combat / resistances, and frequently upgrade them with scavenged loot.

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »
Yah, I'm already at 4 Ap an attack even if you take away the tabi boots.  And weren't you saying that if I don't have a lot invested into a skill that its basically not worth investing at all?  I mean will ~ 80 dodge/evade make that big of a difference?  The main thing the IARHL Tabi boots have going for it is the move speed and increased movement points (for my build, no brainer if you are an evasion setup).  I guess a better question is, how much crit damage does a near perfect IRHL pair of regular boots give?  If its something like 50% and then you stack it with critical power and cheap shots, then we are talking some serious damage increase. 

In regards to the chest, my guy is already super squishy and I mainly rely on CC to get me through fights.  The armor you linked does have insane mech damage reduction, but I'm not sure how much of an impact it will have.  You know what they say, best defense is a good offense.  The contrary also is true, just not in my case with a whopping 3 constitution.

Wildan, I'm about to ding 18, but I'm looking to endgame gear atm.  I'll pickup skinner at 18, and I'm debating to wait until 20 for clothier for more stealth, but I'll prob do without and take a more useful passive.  I have a 151 SS fabric and 101 ARHL.  I just wanted to think this through before I burn a really well rolled SS fabric.  The 10% sounds really nice...

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:35:58 pm »
Now I'm reading on the Wiki that IRL boots is crit chance, not crit damage.  A little less appealing...decisions decisions...

*EDIT*

Reg rathound is chance
Ancient is damage

So still something to think about here...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:38:10 pm by Grand »

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:33 pm »
I'm liking the idea of IARHL Boots with Springs and Soft foam (offset stealth penalty) and then you have your movement and crit damage.  Best of both worlds!!!

What's the highest quality boot springs you guys have seen?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:07:29 pm by Grand »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 06:23:30 pm »
I'm liking the idea of IARHL Boots with Springs and Soft foam (offset stealth penalty) and then you have your movement and crit damage.  Best of both worlds!!!

What's the highest quality boot springs you guys have seen?

About 98 in Oscar's shop.

Padding is not even close to offset stealth penalty from springs. BTW, Galvanic and Insulated Paddings give same stealth bonus at the cost of 1% extra armor penalty.

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »
Good to know, thanks hilf!

Do you know how much move and speed that translates to? comparable to high-end tabis?

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:34:23 pm »
I don't know. You need to wait for epeli.

That 98 boot spring has spawned after second merchant upgrade, which happens after completing Core City questline.

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 06:44:28 pm »
Screw it.  It's been decided.  If you're going for crit damage, might as well compliment it and give yourself more chance to actually take advantage of it!  Going crit chest and crit boots.

Chest - IRHL, still need to decide on cloth and foam.  I like the sneak mats, but if it's like hilf said and you only take 1 armor penalty for resistance padding then you might as well do it.  I haven't really encountered much electricity yet, and cold really only from the psi bugs...Haven't hit Deep Caverns yet, so i'll see if one is favored over the other.

Boots - IARHL, springs, and again no really sure about the foam yet.

I'll keep some good tabi's handy if the move speed is greater than the new craft.  I'll post pics when they're done tonight!

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:00:33 am »
Okay, a couple of things so on the chest I can get 14% crit chance (I'm guessing 15% is perfect), which is pretty bonkers. crit on melee is almost 40%.

I can also confirm that all padding does not offset leather's native decrease to stealth.  You need soft foam for the largest reduction.  With that and black cloth I'm seeing 41 stealth.

The big semi let down is that the boots only give 20% crit damage, BUT when not in stealth you get a whopping 30% move speed with the springs...that alone is pretty insane.  I'll miss all the perks of tabi, but im committed to the crit build now.

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:06:34 am »
Slight problem.  I use The Claw but the boots dont grant the crit damage bonus when I'm wearing them.  The Claw is categorized as a melee weapon, the bonus is for unarmed and fist weapons.  The Claw should be viewed as a fist weapon for crying out loud.  Is this an oversight? Pretty depressing.  I have to reeval everything now...

But good info for the community.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:21:02 am by Grand »

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 08:45:09 am »
OOooooh that ancient rathound leather armor 'nd boots makes me all bothered 'nd hot!  :P
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

Grand

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 12:57:04 pm »
Yah, It's def sexy.  I just don't know what to do now.  I really wanted the crit damage boots to work.  That 30% movespeed is major as well...What do you guys think?  Shouldn't The Claw be fist?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 10:28:26 am »
Slight problem.  I use The Claw but the boots dont grant the crit damage bonus when I'm wearing them.  The Claw is categorized as a melee weapon, the bonus is for unarmed and fist weapons.  The Claw should be viewed as a fist weapon for crying out loud.  Is this an oversight? Pretty depressing.  I have to reeval everything now...

But good info for the community.

It was the bug with the boot bonus, not the weapon. It isn't working with any fist weapon. Will be fixed for the next version.