Author Topic: Oculus looks awesome (no spoilers)  (Read 5182 times)

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Oculus looks awesome (no spoilers)
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »
I must say it, this area looks beautiful.

While many of the other environments in this game look pretty plain, this area looks fantastic.

If it was animated better, it would even be on par to bigger projects, like Pillars of Eternity, for example.

Great work!

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Oculus looks awesome (no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:42:49 pm »
Yep, the evolution of visuals in Underrail is amazing. You've probably seen the early alpha graphics. :D
I would so much love Underrail 2 with the level of detail like in Pillars. Still pixel based graphics but something like twice the current size of tiles in pixels with the possibility to zoom out 2 - 4 times.  :P

Grim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:46:13 pm »
Yes, i must say it is jaw dropping.
The first time i was presented to it, i was astonished, but everytime i go back there the feeling repeats.
This place is well presented (story wise), beautiful, and the music inside suits it really well.

Generally, i have to congratulate the team for all the amazing details through the whole game. There are unique and superb props all over the place. The musics are great (wish there were even more!), the dialogs/descriptions are so well writen (!), and the story... rich, mysterious, savantly distillated, just woah!
I don't even mention the coding, Styg, such an engine all by yourself, you have my respect and admiration.

Swarley

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:18:15 am »
The reveal was jaw dropping! The structure, the backstory, info on other locations, crazy ass monks etc. whole thing is amazing.

Green

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:49:23 pm »
Can someone explain me how do I get there?
I have killed last boss and basically have completed the game but I have never found it.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 06:51:24 am »
That area is culmination of multiple stealth ops missions that start with Jack and Abram.

And yes, you can not just stumble there. It is well hidden.

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 08:11:22 am »
Now I might be an uptight bastard for saying this but; The mere revelation of such a place is a spoiler in itself really. (even the faceless doesn't even know of it's existence)
But other than that yes it is quite alien compared to everything else you'll see for the most part of the game and at the same time something to be in awe by merely looking at it.

A shame that you can't 'access' the other bits of 'memory' from the "mainframe" even if you have a will stat of 16.
Even with all the 'shards' of 'memories' that's possible to obtain it still doesn't give any kind of complete picture but then again that's probably intentional since it definitely hints at things of the past and what's to come.
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

Green

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 09:57:46 am »
That area is culmination of multiple stealth ops missions that start with Jack and Abram.

And yes, you can not just stumble there. It is well hidden.
Ah great, so I cant get there since I have failed Abram's quest line >.<

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 10:38:23 am »
Technically you can do his quests without a single point in stealth, although for his cybernetic-spawn 'plant job' you'll need some stealth armor + stealth generator (?) but other than that you shouldn't be unable to succesfully do his job unless of course you don't have 80 lockpicking and need to kill the guard in the camera-room (if you kill the guard in said room fast enough you *COULD* loot the key and get into the vent shaft before anyone comes looking.

Although much later when you're at a certain mansion it'll be messy not having stealth but you can do it anyhow, that is if you can kill every single being in that place, leaving no witnesses.
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:26:17 pm »
if you kill the guard in said room fast enough you *COULD* loot the key and get into the vent shaft before anyone comes looking.

That is what I did in that mission in my current playthrough.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:21 am »
When we are at it, Tchort Institute is another area that looks stunning. Including ruined section too.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 02:40:10 pm »
I still find it amusing that part of the game's assets have been improved, whereas others are still clearly in the state they've been since early alpha (looking at the Underpassages and parts of Core City in particular). Sometimes the art clashes very unsubtly, especially once you get to see Core City Sewers and other hi-res tilesets.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »
Referring i.A. to the half-height walls used in the Coretech and JKK headquarters. Yeah, of course they haven't been there in the early alpha, but they are clearly still sticking out like a sore thumb. What is there from the early alpha are some of the floor tiles, though.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 04:12:37 pm »
I think there isn't much to fix there. The game's art style will always be somewhat incongruous and cobbled. The corrugated sheet walls in the Drop Zone look stylistically completely different from the concrete walls in other parts of Core City, and those in turn look different from the detailed grime textures in the sewers. "Fixing" this would require a major overhaul, which obviously was never possible with the given budget and manpower, and is hardly the most important thing to focus on now that the game has been released to a by and large satisfied audience.

If there is one thing that indeed needs to be fixed though (unless it was done on purpose, or has already been fixed since), it's the hole that leads to the prison below the United Stations embassy in the Free Maura quest. The hole that leads to the ventilation system is actually still drawn with the old cave tileset from the early alpha.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:47 pm »

If there is one thing that indeed needs to be fixed though (unless it was done on purpose, or has already been fixed since), it's the hole that leads to the prison below the United Stations embassy in the Free Maura quest. The hole that leads to the ventilation system is actually still drawn with the old cave tileset from the early alpha.

i'll look into it

The CC update was really tight for me, and in the graphics overhaul phase didnt have any time for it, foundry got good enough (not much left there, maybe more effects), the institute, DC and obviously Occulus are the better parts, as i had much more time to work on those, where in the CC update i did 3 different Sci-fi sets, 1 sewer, 1 universal for the whole city, 30+ cc maps, 20+ passage and lower underrail maps and the usual workload (items, effects etc) in basically 2-3 months, so I myself am not really happy with Core city, but anytime i will have some time i will improve old areas (Core city got in the release update one unique new map that wasnt even considered to be addeded, but i had some time and made unique buildings)

As i said already, time is the only resource for me when it comes to the game look, sure there are technical challenges but i love to overcome those.