Author Topic: [Mild spoiler] How to shoot .44 pistol twice?  (Read 4512 times)

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
[Mild spoiler] How to shoot .44 pistol twice?
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:52:49 pm »
Hello.

I want to know what do you need to be able to shoot a .44 pistol twice in a round.

Thanks.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: [Mild spoiler] How to shoot .44 pistol twice?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:54:35 pm »
You are in luck, I did a small table on that.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 02:05:28 pm »
Thank you very much!

Nice table.  :D

I am at the beginning (level 2 I think) and 8 DEX, so it seems .44 isn't so cool at all. I am going to specialize in sniper rifles in the long run though, but I will keep a pistol or smg as sidekick weapon.

phobos2077

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:31:40 pm »
SMGs can become really powerful later. I've built 8.6mm SMG with rapid reloader and taken the perk that reduces SMG burst AP cost 50%. Now I do 2 bursts per turn with damage similar to a medium assault rifle :)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:38:35 pm »
You don't need any DEX - you can take Point Shot.

SMGs can become really powerful later. I've built 8.6mm SMG with rapid reloader and taken the perk that reduces SMG burst AP cost 50%. Now I do 2 bursts per turn with damage similar to a medium assault rifle :)
And they OMGWTFPWN pistols. More damage for less AP and burt fire option.

On my pistol build i stopped using SMGs at lvl 16. And not because they were weak but because "I've gotta finally stop using SMGs on this pistol build, tchortdammit!" reasoning.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »
I finished the game as a sniper twice, with pistols as a backup and my favourite is 9mm Neo Luger with rapid reloader and laser sight.

It's just the most reliable option, and you will be using your backup in situations where reliability counts the most. I think SMGs are stronger overall though.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 05:09:18 pm »
You don't need any DEX - you can take Point Shot.
Which requires 6 DEX, so he does need some.

And they OMGWTFPWN pistols. More damage for less AP and burt fire option.

On my pistol build i stopped using SMGs at lvl 16. And not because they were weak but because "I've gotta finally stop using SMGs on this pistol build, tchortdammit!" reasoning.
I feel like the second weapon slot should be reserved to one-handed weapons only. That way knives and pistols would actually fill a role of proper backup weapons.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »
On the paper .44 my not be that fancy but when you take damage threshold, critical hits (Steadfast Aim) and special ammo into account they can easily outdamage the other pistol variants.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 07:09:18 pm »
For SMGs, the least expensive option is to take STR7/DEX7, take full auto and spec ops, and have two bursts per round, 7 bullets each, with H&K SMG, and later some high quality 7.56 SMG.

Add googles that give bonus for special attacks, which include bursts and you are good to go.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 08:55:20 pm »
On the paper .44 my not be that fancy but when you take damage threshold, critical hits (Steadfast Aim) and special ammo into account they can easily outdamage the other pistol variants.
.44 isn't all that much better against armor since it has a ridiculous damage spread. It can either punch through easily or deal almost no damage at all, while 9mm will reliably punch through.

Steadyfast Aim is terrible since it requires 6STR and penalizes the use of rapid reloader. It's basically weaker Recklessness but the requirement is not worth it, it would be better to pump PER and take Sharpshooter, if anything.

.44 explosive deals 15-30 heat and 15-30 mechanical which is 30-60 total. Compared to 10-20 acid 9mm it might seem like a lot more, but 9mm gets far more shots per turn, not 3 times more, but all in all the benefit is negligible, and mechanical/heat is usually easier to resist (except for mutants).

And if you want to tak everything into account, .44 is even worse as it benefits less from Expertise due to it's low amount of shots, and is far less AP efficent so it benefits less from adrenaline/Blitz.

It's just bad, and especially bad on pistol builds. Tommy gun is fun though, basically a grenade launcher if you load it with explosive ammo.

Frank

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 06:04:42 am »
I finished the game as a sniper twice, with pistols as a backup and my favourite is 9mm Neo Luger with rapid reloader and laser sight.

It's just the most reliable option, and you will be using your backup in situations where reliability counts the most. I think SMGs are stronger overall though.
Unrelated to the thread, but what are the highest skill requirements you encountered for crafting, lockpicking, and hacking?

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 11:15:15 am »
Highest for hacking/lockpicking was 135 in Deep Caverns. It's definetly not worth to max, I put 3/3/4 points in hacking/lockpicking/traps now.

Crafting depends on how lucky you get in Deep Caverns, as you can find many 170+ quality parts and even with maxed crafting skill on level 25 and 7 INT I still couldn't craft with all parts being that high, so it's worth maxing. The highest requirement before DC was something around 130 I believe.