Author Topic: Space Station 13  (Read 9657 times)

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Space Station 13
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:33 am »
Well, I wonder does somebody play this hilarious game? For those of you who are either too lazy to google it or just interested enough to read I'll throw in a short introduction.

Space Station 13 is a free game made on BYOND engine where people use their own servers and make own games - which means different layouts of stations are used, different sprites and different rules (some servers endorse roleplaying, other are mostly special game modes, events etc.). It focuses on players being spawned on the station in different roles. There is Captain; Heads of Staff - security, medical, personel, research; Engineers; Scientists and even Janitors, Mimes, Clowns, Chaplains and Librarians. So - for everybody something interesting. Every job has it's role - be it simple entertainment, providing sustenance for the station or setting up power and engines. It makes Space Station living, breathing place. But not for long.

Why? Because on board at the start of the rund spawn either traitors, nuclear agents, changelings or other disasters. The crew role is to find the enemies and deal with the trouble. Which usually ends in total destruction and calling evacuation shuttle. There are also random disasters like meteor storm or just a chemist accidentaly creating napalm and setting medical bay on fire. Add to that rampant diseases from virology, rogue cyborgs and AI (oh GOD), the explosions depressurising the whole parts of the station... and here you have the experience of SS13.

It's lovingly dangerous and mad. Example? Yesterday I was a Librarian and after printing out the Bible of Trip Falling I began my crusade to convert the rest of the station. As a Mime I stalked a guy until he freaked out and ran. As a Station Engineer I blew up when setting up the Singularity (black hole basically). Death is often and prevalent in SS13, but as long as your brain survived you can get either cloned or borged... IF other people are still doing their job.

So? Anyone plays it? Anyone likes it?

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
  • I just came here to read homestuck and honestly
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
Re: Space Station 13
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:52:20 am »
I personaly am an avid ss13 player. once i was a chaplain and managed to get ahold of a few beakers of napalm, and ended up burning R&D for heracy. then one time i was CE and managed to get  stuck in the sing sheilds and was thrown around the place by the sing until the sheilds failed and ate the bridge. i miraculously survived (don't ask) and became the new captain. goooooood times....
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:00:07 am »
I tend to play on Yogstation ss13 server from time to time, but yeah... how did you survive the sing? Just...

I usually play engineer and steal the RiG. Set up the sing and solars and then go on the adventure around the station... I remember that one time there was meteorite alarm from security. So I loitered next to their doors... but nobody was letting me in - neither HoS nor AI. So what did I do? I went outside and walked along the wall to find it externally... Oh the reaction of the guys inside :D. Hilarious!

Robotist is also neat because he gets the flash + which means stopping the borgs right away. And when AI is rogue these babies are the first thing you want to grab. And of course mech building. Everybody loves Ripley, right?

SS13 has these situations where people just doing mad stuff for no reason. And somehow it even works. From time to time.

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:31:20 am »
I tend to play on Yogstation ss13 server from time to time, but yeah... how did you survive the sing? Just...

DAMMIT JIM! what did i just say!
Words, I don't know.

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:35 pm »
the game gets boring when people do their jobs. like when the cook doesn't go off to narnia and frolic with dragons in his underwear. ya'know FUN stuff! not fun, but !!FUN!!
Words, I don't know.

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:21 am »
or when the admins give everyone a shitton of guns and ammo and playes random pink floyd! or other !!FUN!! stuff!
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:52:52 am »
Admins are great when they know when to stop :P.

I remember that one time when somebody bombed the AI and I was running with the rest of the engineers to cover the hole. It was freaking big - brig was completely cut off and no atmospheric technician present... so no O2 for people. And afterwards we must've repair the apc and reconnect the cables. Most epic feeling ever.

Or when AI was hacked and it pumped plasma into corridors. I was trying to hack the door it blocked and of course sparks went flying...

TRUST ME, I'M AN ENGINEER.

Whole station went with flames.

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00:32 am »
The idea of reincarnating into random roles is pretty neat. It sounds like it could be a good idea in any game that has lots of different roles, but only a few of them are really attractive.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:26:01 am »
Well it depends who you tend to play as. Because most of the roles need a bit (or a LOT) of research and others just do with some roleplaying. So it's different every time. Add to this changing layout of the station and people modding the shit of the existing ones and you get a bit of old school fun.

With gibs everywhere.

jimhowland

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 12:05:19 pm »
I used to play a ton of it, but I eventually grew tired of the absolutely horrid performance/lag issues and the messy UI. Been keeping a cautiously optimistic eye on the remake though.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 04:09:07 pm »
did anyone heard about lifeweb server, i heard its super cool grim dark server with unique codebase