Author Topic: Maybe psychosis should only increase the PSI cost of abilities that can crit  (Read 2405 times)

Spleen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Psychosis should only increase the PSI cost of abilities that can crit, as 20% is a huge drawback.

swampzero

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
It's really not that bad.

120% cost is completely unplayable I agree with you, BUT you can reduce cost in other ways and stay under 100% even with psychosis.  In fact, the cost-effectiveness ratio of Psychosis is much better than what you would get from a psi-headband, and the dps increase is really big.  It's additive 15% btw, it will put you at 20% BASE chance.

Using headband ratios (if you choose the manacost addition instead of the crit), you would have had to trade off 27% cost if you wanted 15% crit.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Makes sense.

Psychosis has not been changed for a long time and PSI mechanics changed quite a lot. PSI cost is much more important than it used to be.

When comparing Psychosis to headbands we should remember that:
- it costs you a feat
- it locks away two other feats
- you don't get to choose which PSI schools to affect
- you can't turn it off
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:36:58 pm by hilf »

Spleen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Makes sense.

Psychosis has not been changed for a long time and PSI mechanics changed quite a lot. PSI cost is much more important than it used to be.

When comparing Psychosis to headbands we should remember that:
- it costs you a feat
- it locks away tho other feats
- you don't get to choose which PSI schools to affect
- you can't turn it off

I totally agree with this.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
I'm also totally up with this. Psychosis was balanced for the last alpha were you would regenerate fixed 20 psi points per round, right there from level 1 regardless of your stats. To get the same regeneration rate now you'd need will + int to be 30 points which is impossible. Best you can ever achieve is 18 psi points per round at level 24 if started with 10 int (big waste) and 10 will with every bonus stat point spent on will.
A well optimized psi build will typically have no more than 16 psi points regeneration per round, and that's end game. Also note that many psi abilities also got increased cost in the release version. Hadbands can hardly make up for it, even without psychosis.

I think that total PSI pool needs to partially depend on will. That's true for any game where the primary casting attribute also contributes to the mana pool. Something like +5 max psi points for every point in will after 5, similar how agility and MP work.