Author Topic: Locked out of tchort institute (big spoilers)  (Read 6098 times)

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Locked out of tchort institute (big spoilers)
« on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:19 pm »
I have been playing around with the tchort institute questline, and noticed the following:

1) if you are accepted, do the "Track down Rassophore Nevil" quest and leave the institute, you can go back through the main gate, however,

2) if you are accepted, do the "Track down Rassophore Nevil" quest, decide to investigate the basement, make the tchortists hostile, then leave the institute through the same vent as Nevil, you get locked out, as the main gate won't open.

Is there any other way in? Otherwise, it's not possible to progress with the main plot.

I have also tried sneaking into the basement to avoid turning tchortists hostile, but the following door is inaccessible in my game, because the cook blocks one path and the cashier the other:

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Locked out of tchort institute (big spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:02 pm »
There are ways to break the main quest. We do not guard against all of them. That being said, in this particular case we'll consider introducing an alternative route of reentering the Institute.

We'll check out that kitchen situation as well.

sfg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 05:51:26 pm »
There are ways to break the main quest. We do not guard against all of them.

That seems like a weird policy to me. Isn't this supposed to be a top priority, that the main quest can't be broken? If you can't continue the game what's the point to continue with the playthrough? Especially if you don't even tell the player that they're stuck and can't proceed anymore.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:21:53 pm »
There are ways to break the main quest. We do not guard against all of them. That being said, in this particular case we'll consider introducing an alternative route of reentering the Institute.

I understand, but in this particular case it doesn't make that much sense for the main gate to stay closed: the tchortists consider you their enemy, and after you dispatch the group guarding the entrance, they should at least open the door to send a bigger squad after you. Otherwise - are they planning on staying locked forever, just to avoid confrontation with one person?

Mercent

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:41:25 am »

Btw Styg, would appreciate it if my character could leave the Institute after he had killed everyone in it, including the gate controller. Situation now is that i can't leave once i turn hostile. It would make more sense if i were able to leave once i gained control of the gate terminal. Appreciate it. Cheers.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 12:15:43 pm »
There are ways to break the main quest. We do not guard against all of them.

That seems like a weird policy to me. Isn't this supposed to be a top priority, that the main quest can't be broken? If you can't continue the game what's the point to continue with the playthrough? Especially if you don't even tell the player that they're stuck and can't proceed anymore.

It used to be pretty normal that you can mercilessly fuck up your playthrough in RPGs. Not telling the player is of course an issue, because there should be a clear fail state.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 02:04:42 pm »
I guess most obvious one is killing friendly plot NPCs.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 03:05:17 pm »
This is not the case here, however.Fighting your way through is one of the solutions the game presents to you: tchortists will attack you if you fail the interview. Or, if you succeed at the interview, later in the game Nevil gives you a pretty good reason to investigate the basement. The problem is that there is literally no indicator in the game that this is a one-way trip. You are told to infiltrate the institute and end up in deep caverns instead.

One solution would be to make the exits "two-way"; your character should be intelligent enough to manage a simple rope before sliding down the vent, or jumping down the hole.

sfg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:06:40 pm »
It used to be pretty normal that you can mercilessly fuck up your playthrough in RPGs. Not telling the player is of course an issue, because there should be a clear fail state.

With that I can agree.
It's fine if they want to have ways to fuck up the main quest, but letting the player continue blindly a failed state is not.

klei

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 09:38:13 pm »
So can I progress with the main plot if I wipe out the entire tchort institute or I already broke my game? I only use quick saves and I am stuck with the tchort being hostile...

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 07:26:26 am »
You can (as long as you don't leave the institute through the hole in the West Wing, or Nevil's escape route), but you won't be able to return to Underrail for a really long time.

Pico

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 11:40:16 am »
Did this bug get fixed?  I've just gone in to tchort and failed their interview so hostile, don't want to get locked out of the game by a bug. 

Also since I'm apparently locked into the end game now (I read somewhere I get pushed into the deep caverns from here and can't get back out) am I buggered if I didn't take a heap of ammo, medicine etc with me?  I only thought I'd be infiltrating by doing a bunch of gopher jobs like I did with coretech and protectorate so I didn't load up before I went in

Cheers in advance

PS:  The security measures for this forum are above and beyond.  I have serious issues reading those verification letters and on top of having to google history is it really necessary?  And I was searching for threads earlier so I didn't post up something that had already been covered and after two searches it locked me out because I'd searched less than five minutes ago ... seems extreme.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 02:09:02 pm »
Did this bug get fixed? I've just gone in to tchort and failed their interview so hostile, don't want to get locked out of the game by a bug.

Also since I'm apparently locked into the end game now (I read somewhere I get pushed into the deep caverns from here and can't get back out) am I buggered if I didn't take a heap of ammo, medicine etc with me?  I only thought I'd be infiltrating by doing a bunch of gopher jobs like I did with coretech and protectorate so I didn't load up before I went in

If you are hostile to the Tchortists or otherwise unable to get in, then I am afraid that you may be locked out of the Institute. If possible, I would reload a save from either right before or during the interview and either advance through it correctly (you basically just tell them what they want to hear and try to sound as innocent as possible) or just slaughter everyone in the Institute. It sounds like hell, but once you get past the 2nd screen it's actually a piece of cake. Killing Eidein is the hardest part, but he can be practically stunlocked if you have things like flashbangs, traps, telekinetic punch, electrokinesis, the electrokinetic trap, any melee skill that stuns, etc.
If you pass the interview, then all of their shops will be available to you and you will be able to stock up for the journey to the Deep Caverns. I definitely recommend that you take a lot of meds and ammo with you, but if you're allied to or neutral with the Faceless (as in, you spoilershelped them in Foundry, saved the Faceless in the Drop Zone, don't attack them when they plan to invade the Institute, and maybe you also let them kill Buzzer or persuaded the Mindreader in his shop to let him goend spoilers) then you'll have access to more ammo than you could ever possibly use.

PS:  The security measures for this forum are above and beyond.  I have serious issues reading those verification letters and on top of having to google history is it really necessary?  And I was searching for threads earlier so I didn't post up something that had already been covered and after two searches it locked me out because I'd searched less than five minutes ago ... seems extreme.

Have you noticed all the spambots on the forums, especially within the past couple of days? It's bad. Somehow they still get through, but I'm sure the security (while it is annoying) is probably keeping a lot of bots out.

Pico

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 04:20:19 am »
Thanks for the heads up Altos.

And I hadn't noticed the bots - what a pain.