Author Topic: playermade maps  (Read 13607 times)

Pipboy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: player made maps
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 05:14:49 pm »
to be honest, I haven't even looked into that yet.
I'll make sure to compress the file for the next upload, thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:21:05 pm by Pipboy »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: player made maps
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 10:12:04 am »
to be honest, I haven't even looked into that yet.
I'll make sure to compress the file for the next upload, thanks for the info!

Just for fun I also made a 4bpp (16 colours) one. Looking good and 160 KB in size.

Now I have to find a way to print the map and keep it readable.

DQwiks

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: alternative map *updated*
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 06:47:52 pm »
Wow... I really dig the style of the map made by DQwiks. If there is ever going to be official ingame map, it would be great if it could follow the same style.

Thank you. I did my best. I added a new card "Deep Caves". And added "lower underrail". - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=594992050
Now I work above the level "Mushroom Caves"

DQwiks

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: playermade maps
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 03:25:42 pm »
Maps based on alpha version screenshots.

In this you are not right. Screenshots are made by me and are based on version 1.0.0.7. Screenshots from the Wiki I have not used!

DQwiks

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 05:53:04 pm »

PS. Do you still have all your screenshots at their original resolution? I would like to update the old wiki screenshots.

Unfortunately no. All screenshots automatically reduced. Crosslinking and edited in miniature. This was done to save time.

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 07:15:28 am »
Very nice, Pipboy. Would you consider uploading the SVG instead of PNG? It's far smaller / quicker to download, and it would establish yours as the baseline for others to maintain in the future, due to its readily modifiable format.

Awesome work though!

To the devs regarding the work DQwiks has done, and the screenshots epeli seeks, how easy is it for you to throw together a resource file unpacker (much like those which exist for Baldur's Gate, Homeworld, etc.) that can dump the bare maps? I understand that these aren't pre-rendered raster backdrops like in older games, and that lighting etc. would be completely missing, but it would encourage community involvement like this.

Pipboy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »
Very nice, Pipboy. Would you consider uploading the SVG instead of PNG? It's far smaller / quicker to download, and it would establish yours as the baseline for others to maintain in the future, due to its readily modifiable format.

Thx, and for the next version I'll try putting it up in svg format, I would like for other people to contrbute to this map since it's only from my playthrough and definitly lacks some areas that i didn't visit or contains mistakes.

So, as you say, using my current map as a base, everyone is welcome to just open the file in paint or however they like and add/ change whatever they feel is missing or needs changing.
Just post the updated file in the thread or pm it to me and i'll pjt it on the wiki after a quick check.

Should already be possible to open the png in paint and edit it afaik, but i am a complete noob when it comes to this technical stuff :)

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 12:43:46 am »
You'd need to reverse engineer it and make your own map viewer/editor from scratch.
I was thinking that the code already exists (in the game source files) for reading the data files, composing the map, occluding tiles, applying lighting effects, applying fog-of-war, applying field-of-view. If this function or module were replicated to a standalone tool and then much of it commented out (FOW, FOV, lighting) it could loop through all maps (including vents); read a map; "draw" it - but instead of the output going to a screen, it would be dumped to a file.

screenshot the areas as you go
This is certainly an effective fallback solution, but it is labour intensive and it might miss transition zones, secret doors / rooms, vent systems, etc. Plus although it's fine if people save the screenshots lossless (eg as PNG) from the start, but if they don't know JPEG is lossy then they've done all that manual effort and ended up with a degraded result with bleeding edges (and not the good kind of "bleeding edge"!)

Should already be possible to open the png in paint and edit it
That's true, however there is a big difference in efficiency between:
  • raster images (eg BMP, PNG) which are a grid of coloured pixels
  • vector images (eg SVG) which contain geometric shapes (rectangles, arcs, lines, arrows) and text

I had thought you had made the file as SVG and exported it to PNG. Working with vectors is much less effort to rearrange lots of blocks to change the document shape from landscape to portrait. Multiple shapes can be rotated to 40 degree angle at once.

For your next version, check out the open source cross platform Inkscape and see if it makes your process of building up the map easier. It might take a little bit of getting used to that the software knows about rectangles, lines, etc and resizing them itself, but I think after a brief adjustment it will be a relief that the software does more for you.

0wca

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
I've updated your map and added DEEP CAVERNS as well as mapped out the INSTITUTE OF TCHORT along with some other missing areas.

I can upload it to the wiki page as soon as Styg makes my account.

EDIT: I've tried uploading it to the wiki, but it doesn't seem to show up...

EDIT 2: It's on the wiki now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:15:31 pm by 0wca »

Pipboy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 05:52:52 am »
thanks, glad to see someone picked it up where I left it, never got around to doing it.  8)

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 03:05:08 pm »
Hi there, I've noticed a small part that is uncharted on this map and since I don't really know how to do it myself, I'll say what I've found missing so that hopefully someone can add it and make the map complete.

From platform 1 next to south railroad outpost there is a way west. This area is to be designated as platform (?). This platform then has a connection north and leads to platform 5 (the entrace to kidnaped train, the way isn't open for me but I guess it's because I haven't got the quest or I need to blow the door open with explosves). From there it connects north to platform 4. Now there are 2 more uncharted passages. Through the platform there is a passage north with leads to platform (?) which is a dark area. In here there is a ladder that gives passage to a room within the same map. The place is infested with crawlers. There is a hole in the wall which leads into a cave and inside the cave there is a hole in the ground with a passage down, this is just a small arena with a black crawler. After exploring this the platform has an exit north again leading to platform (?). It is also a dark area and it has 3 crawlers inside a small room as well as some lurkers. This area also has another passage north which connects to Platform 2 which is close to rail crossing.

So it's just those 4 areas. The 3 platforms that connect south railroad outpost to rail crossing and the black crawler arena.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 02:53:07 pm »
Hi there, I've noticed a small part that is uncharted on this map and since I don't really know how to do it myself, I'll say what I've found missing so that hopefully someone can add it and make the map complete.

From platform 1 next to south railroad outpost there is a way west. This area is to be designated as platform (?). This platform then has a connection north and leads to platform 5 (the entrace to kidnaped train, the way isn't open for me but I guess it's because I haven't got the quest or I need to blow the door open with explosves). From there it connects north to platform 4. Now there are 2 more uncharted passages. Through the platform there is a passage north with leads to platform (?) which is a dark area. In here there is a ladder that gives passage to a room within the same map. The place is infested with crawlers. There is a hole in the wall which leads into a cave and inside the cave there is a hole in the ground with a passage down, this is just a small arena with a black crawler. After exploring this the platform has an exit north again leading to platform (?). It is also a dark area and it has 3 crawlers inside a small room as well as some lurkers. This area also has another passage north which connects to Platform 2 which is close to rail crossing.

So it's just those 4 areas. The 3 platforms that connect south railroad outpost to rail crossing and the black crawler arena.

These zones were added with Version 1.0.1.4 to make it easier for players to find the Missing Train during its respective quest by simply following the tracks from SRO (where the train departed from) until you hit Rail Crossing, as opposed to having to do it the other way around like you did in the EA releases.
I know there was a guy on Steam who was creating his own map of Underrail with this new segment included, but I haven't heard from him nor seen an update of the map since he started making it half a year ago, so I guess he must have just abandoned the project.
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other areas that were added in 1.0.1.4 or in the newest experimental build (up to Core City, at least), but I did notice that it is now possible to access lu-a6 from lup-a2 without having to use TNT, if it wasn't before.