Author Topic: playermade maps  (Read 13586 times)

Pipboy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
playermade maps
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:44:09 pm »
*warning, map contains spoilers!*

you can find this map and other player made ones at underrail wiki now (http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maps),
 so if anyone finds any mistakes (and I am sure there are some), please let me know so I can correct them.

update Jan 12th:
- uploaded the lastest version (compressed from 1,1 mb to 444kb, thx for the tip).
This will be the last one from me for a while now though. I have a lot going on in the upcoming months and will only be able to pick up playing/mapping in beginning of march.
I would be happy if someone wants to pick up/continue/expand from where I left, to me it's a project where everyone can contribute so just open up paint and map away ;)

-also, check out DQwiks awesome screenshot maps!

original post:

hey everyone,

while I've been playing this awesome game non-stop for the last couple of days, I've started to make my own map.
I realize there is already a map on the wiki, maybe I am too dumb to read it properly but it just didn't satisfy my need for orientation.  :P

So after starting with pen&paper I quickly realized that the gameworld is just too big the way I mapped it out to put it on even several sheets of paper.
I started using paint and am satisfied with the result so far.

My map has, and this is unusual, north to the right instead of up, since ingame north is upper right corner, which to me translates to right.
Otherwise I just use one block for one screen, try to give it an appropriate name and mark all the exits from the screen on the appropriate side of the block.

The result might not be geographicaly correct or look like the designers intended but I can only say for myself that I haven't gotten lost even once after using this method  :)

The map is not complete and a wip, but if people think this is helpful and I should post an updated version as soon as I have progressed further into the game I will happily do so.

So please leave a comment if you like it.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:54:33 pm by Pipboy »

tenim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: alternative map
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:15:13 pm »
fantastic work ! really. this is a very great help for me.
if you add the deep caverns to this map in the same detail i buy you a beer.
 :)

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:59 pm »
The map looks really compreensible, I find it to be really good.

omphaloskepsis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:45:41 am »
This is great.  Thank you!

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 06:28:59 am »
Outstanding work, and I'm glad that you placed north to the right. Like in most isometric games the tiles are not angled by 45 degrees but more like 40, which makes north closer to the horizontal than vertical alignment.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:31:07 am by Wildan »

Pipboy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: alternative map *updated*
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:02:22 pm »
fantastic work ! really. this is a very great help for me.
if you add the deep caverns to this map in the same detail i buy you a beer.
 :)

The plan is to get the whole game area on this map, including deep caverns. As soon as I get it done I'll remind you of the beer  ;D

The map looks really compreensible, I find it to be really good.

This is great.  Thank you!

Outstanding work, and I'm glad that you placed north to the right. Like in most isometric games the tiles are not angled by 45 degrees but more like 40, which makes north closer to the horizontal than vertical alignment.

thank you for the very positive responses, it was/is a lot of work, this gives me motivation to keep going :)

I think having the zone boxes rotated 45 degrees (so they match the physical in-game layout) would be the best choice for readability. By the way, the wiki maps are also made in mspaint and they're not any more "correct" than your or other maps.

I had the same idea and tried it out by just rotating the whole image but it didn't convince me on the first try. I think I'll give it another go as soon as I have everything in.

And btw, hope you didn't get me wrong about your map, it's awesome and I am sure it helped countless people not getting lost! Also it's style corresponds much better with the games design than my "clean metro style map" ;).

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 11:29:06 am »
Amazing work! Thank you!  :)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:39:01 pm »
 :D Good work, I'll use it if I lost (surely I will).

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 05:55:30 pm »
Awesome stuff. It's even oriented the same way as in our internal docs. :)

Pipboy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 07:56:22 pm »
I am really glad people find this helpful!.  :)
It was/is a lot of work (had to change quite some stuff back and forth in the process) but I must say that I actually love the fact that there is no ingame map (I might be the only one maybe  :P).
Making your own map while playing gives exploring a whole other feel, I can only recommend to try it out!

@Styg
Thank you so much for this awesome game, you have my utmost respect for developing this (almost) on your own!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:04:32 am by Pipboy »

blamzooie

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 12:00:57 am »
This is amazing, thank you so much for your time and effort.

phobos2077

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 06:53:45 am »
Some guy on Steam is working on a better map.

I still think the Devs should put some kind of spoiler-free official map (or maybe several maps?) inside the game as a usable item or something.

Pipboy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 10:49:09 am »
Some guy on Steam is working on a better map.

I still think the Devs should put some kind of spoiler-free official map (or maybe several maps?) inside the game as a usable item or something.

This one and other player made maps can now all be found on the underrail wiki, so everyone can just choose which one they find best or the most comprehensible. (http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maps)

I also really like the style of dqwiks map, and if there should be an ingame map I hope it turns out to be kind of like this, comparable for example to Baldur's Gate.
There you have a small image of the whole screen (or several screens stichted together for a certain area) with fog of war, the position of your character, points of interest and a quick travel system.
This would make the game more accessible to most people imho.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:51:00 am by Pipboy »

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 11:26:19 am »
Wow... I really dig the style of the map made by DQwiks. If there is ever going to be official ingame map, it would be great if it could follow the same style.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: player made maps
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 04:49:14 pm »
Impressive work. I have a somewhat technical question though: What software are you using to generate the png file? I reduced it almost 30% by using Ken Silverman's PNGOut. Now it's 585,4 KB instead of 800+