Author Topic: Easy way to defeat end boss(mega spolier)  (Read 9277 times)

MF

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Easy way to defeat end boss(mega spolier)
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:52:45 pm »
I don't know if it was intended, but if you lure in The Mouth of Tchort a bit in the square center area, then walk around him towards tchort and make him follow you, he will effectively block the way for all the spawning melee creatures. His attack is worthless so he won't harm you. You can then just wail away at tchort to your heart's content.

With my Thought Control Psi character I AoE enraged all the tentacles with Locus of Control so they joined me in butchering the god. It was over in a couple of turns.

Is that strategy an intended way to defeat it? It took me a while to come up with it after getting my ass whooped a couple of times because the mutagen puzzle was bugged so it was really welcome, but it feels kinda cheap nonetheless. :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:12:41 am by MF »

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Easy way to defeat Tchort (mega spolier)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:23:57 am »
Well... it's probably not intended, but there are a lot of times in the game where the strategy of standing at a chokepoint and letting a weak creature attack you while killing off the stronger ones behind it is a functional strategy. (Mutated Dogs with mutant packs, for example, or simple Rathounds at packs including Alphas and Ancients etc.) I also wouldn't call this method "easy" given that if I understand correctly, the tentacles are still able to fight you - and while your character may have dealt with them easily many other builds probably wouldn't see them as so trivial.

MF

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:28 am »
Well... it's probably not intended, but there are a lot of times in the game where the strategy of standing at a chokepoint and letting a weak creature attack you while killing off the stronger ones behind it is a functional strategy. (Mutated Dogs with mutant packs, for example, or simple Rathounds at packs including Alphas and Ancients etc.) I also wouldn't call this method "easy" given that if I understand correctly, the tentacles are still able to fight you - and while your character may have dealt with them easily many other builds probably wouldn't see them as so trivial.

True, but they were pretty trivial even without the Psi AoE. I had crafted a 1700+ capacity shield with almost 300 high frequency resistance from all the stuff in the warehouse district and switched from my regenerative overcoat to a biohazard suit so I was practically immune from all their attacks for at least ten turns. Only the Thought Control tentacle was a problem, but it was still susceptible to cognitive interruption and three turns was all I needed. I'm not sure how you would deal with that one without psi, maybe flashbang it?

Anyway, getting those tentacles to basically attack their own brain was pretty fun to watch. Healing itself for 200 HP did little to migitate the 1000 points of damage it was dealt each turn.

I guess a stealth character is supposed to plant dynamite at the tanks or something? I might do another playthrough with a stealth character, but right now I'm fed up with it. The Deep Caverns were  a gruelling experience.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:03:27 am by MF »

swampzero

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:13:56 am »
thanks for the title spoiler
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:24:18 am by swampzero »

MF

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:58 am »
thanks for the title spoiler

Sorry about that. Fixed it.

It's not much of a spoiler anyway, the big baddy is being telegraphed as soon as you hear about it and it doesn't have any plot depth to it. It's evil, you need to kill it and there's no way around it. A bit of a let-down now that I think about it. I expected something more like The Master in Fallout. It's a very similar character in concept, but lacks interactive dialogue and has no moral ambiguity. You're not even being told why you need to kill it or what's so bad about it except that it wants to eat you.

minsc

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Easy way to defeat end boss(mega spolier)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:31:42 am »
Has anyone found a list of mutagen combos for tchort?

MF

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:52:57 am »
Has anyone found a list of mutagen combos for tchort?

I did, but they're randomized for each playthrough so mine are worthless to you.

There is a mutagen scanner in the area below the doppelganger research lab. Scan all your mutgen canisters one by one and write down the sequence. Then scan Exitus 1 and see if you can create that particular sequence by combining a few others.

A simple example

Exitus 1 : LX VH FS JH

IO 1 : B5 LX VH -MZ

ECHO 2 : FS JH MZ -B5

Sequencing IO1 and then ECHO2 will yield Exitus 1. The -B5 in ECHO2 will remove the B5 in IO1 and the -MZ in IO1 will remove ECHO2. In practice, you'll probably need to concatenate 4 canisters this way.

Not sure how you would make Exitus 2.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »
I found an even easier way.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:39:36 am »
Lol! Holy shit, that is amusing.

Zetor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »
I'm tempted to post what numbers a crossbow build would get using the same tactic... ;)

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:57 pm »
Feel free to post it, I'm curious.

I think I could actually one shot him with really high quality Reaper, smart module and smart goggles. I was using pretty average Spearhead with good smart module and motion tracking goggles, so it' not even the best I could do.

Zetor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 07:19:05 pm »
Sure thing! Get ready, you bloodthirsty maniacs... someone is getting hardcore dominated toni--

... oh. 

Weapon is a top-end zephyr crossbow with AA scope (+175% crit damage bonus total) and super string. Character has 15 PER, 220 effective crossbow skill, and the Critical Power feat. Needless to say, normal crossbow attacks are not your friend in this fight, even if they crit. :p

Coaxl

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »
My crossbow user is just about able to kill the tentacles faster than they regenerate the damage... in theory. In practice, unless it's just a single tentacle, she'll get killed first. Crossbows aren't exactly great as a primary weapon. Not sure how exactly a crossbow jockey is supposed to win that fight, haha. Many stacks of poison, maybe? If it even affects the eye... I don't know...

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:30 pm »
What about sharpshooter? That's 75% more crit damage with Critical Power.

But the main issue is probably the fact that not only crossbows don't get any armor piercing ammo, they incur 125% mechanical damage resistance, so they are at a double disadvantage.

From my experience they are only good at picking off lone enemies without aggroing others (because silenced guns suck) and have the best synergy with traps, but that's it.

Zetor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:35 pm »
What about sharpshooter? That's 75% more crit damage with Critical Power.

But the main issue is probably the fact that not only crossbows don't get any armor piercing ammo, they incur 125% mechanical damage resistance, so they are at a double disadvantage.

From my experience they are only good at picking off lone enemies without aggroing others (because silenced guns suck) and have the best synergy with traps, but that's it.
I have sharpshooter, too... and all the relevant crossbow feats except for Snipe (not that useful for my playstyle, and wouldn't help much here either). Crossbows actually work OK until Deep Caverns, and even there they only really fail on industrial bots, deep worms, shroom people, and Tchort. Unfortunately, most of the aforementioned enemies must be dealt with at one point...

My crossbow user is just about able to kill the tentacles faster than they regenerate the damage... in theory. In practice, unless it's just a single tentacle, she'll get killed first. Crossbows aren't exactly great as a primary weapon. Not sure how exactly a crossbow jockey is supposed to win that fight, haha. Many stacks of poison, maybe? If it even affects the eye... I don't know...
It does affect the eye, yeah.

I have a battleplan for this, it'll just need a lot of preparation and grinding. It also only really works if you're a crafter, but a crossbow user pretty much has to be one anyway.

1] Scour the ENTIRE deep caverns to get all materials that could be used to make shock and incendiary bolts as well as gas grenades and cryo grenades, put them in a big pile somewhere
2] Fish for a few hours to get materials for combat buff meds
3] Figure out a way to kill at least one deep worm (this is a blocker for now, but may be optional) for corrosive acid and gizzards required for a lot of medicine
4] Craft tons of high-end incendiary and shock bolts as well as some burrower and cave ear bolts. Gas grenades, cryo grenades and molotovs / magnesium grenades too.
5] Get enough oddities to level up and put 40 points into throwing (it's at 0 currently). I'm not sure this is possible, especially if I can't get oddities from deep worms [assuming they have some].
6] Get all the crafted stuff, do the mutagen puzzle
7] Deep breath
8] Enter, immediately stealth and dash over to left, kill mutagen tank, hide in shack, pop out to kill other mutagen tank as well, preferably with stealth + TNT. Tchort enemies aren't a big deal with traps, just keep tentacles controlled with fire and kill when appropriate.. especially the freaking Bilocation one, that one is pretty much gameover if it gets a single cast off.
9] Trap mouth of tchort with spirit poison trap (to summon bilocation clone, hopefully it'll tie up enemies and beat on them as well) or arrow
10] Kill tentacles, move to other side, kill tank, move to safe spot
11] Drop all the damage-over-time effects of the world on tchort. Gas grenade to stack vulnerability, burrower bolt for armor-ignoring damage, cave ear poison to increase all this damage even more. Only use high-grade incendiary and shock bolts on tchort, normal bolts are for mooks. When special bolts run out, retreat to resupply and repair crossbows (YES, your crossbow will break, multiple times. Proven.)
12] ... profit eventually? Assuming tchort gets 0 regen when all tanks are destroyed, that is.

edit: doing the good old Caltrop Caper (cover the arena with crawler poisoned caltrops and wear steel boots for immunity) may also help, though I suspect the tentacles are going to be immune as they appear in non-walkable tiles to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:01:58 pm by Zetor »