Author Topic: Fix my build  (Read 7523 times)

jj8715

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Fix my build
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:03:49 am »
Hi Guys...

My current stats are

STR 10
DEX 4
AGI 3
CON 3
PER 10
WIL 3
INT 10

Will i survive the game? Have reached level 13 atm.

Selected gun related feats....finding it very difficult to progress at the Rail Crossing
- Aimed shot
- Doctor
- Hunter
- Opportunist
- Paranoia
- Suppressive Fire
- Snipe
- Concentrated Fire

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Fix my build
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:14:22 am »
Looks like you doesn't concentrated on anything.
Don't understand why you got 10 Str e.g.

jj8715

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:02:18 am »
Thought STR builds are important for rifle or gun users no?

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 08:23:04 am »
7 str is enough for rifles. 8 is enough for metal armors, tungsten needs 9 but supersteel you can make later on is better and needs only 8. Having 2 str more than needed is not entirely wasted because of cripled debuff but doesn't happen often and can be avoided so I don't recommend above 8 str for metal armor or above 7 for non metal AR builds.

You can safely dump dex, 4 is good as useless. Your main problem is lack of defense. You have neither agility (dodge/evasion) nor constitution (health). What difficulty are you playing on?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:25:00 am by Wildan »

jj8715

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
7 str is enough for rifles. 8 is enough for metal armors, tungsten needs 9 but supersteel you can make later on is better and needs only 8. Having 2 str more than needed is not entirely wasted because of cripled debuff but doesn't happen often and can be avoided so I don't recommend above 8 str for metal armor or above 7 for non metal AR builds.

You can safely dump dex, 4 is good as useless. Your main problem is lack of defense. You have neither agility (dodge/evasion) nor constitution (health). What difficulty are you playing on?

Medium...Wow...it sounds like I choose a tough way to  play haha. Thought the offense would solve the problem

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 08:37:13 am »
Thought STR builds are important for rifle or gun users no?

To a certain degree. For assault rifles you want 7 STR. For heavy armor you want 8 STR (or 9 for heaviest heavy armor). Because there's just one point difference players usually take heavy armor for AR builds.

But heavy armor is bad for your Snipe feat. If you want this feat badly take 7 STR, more agility and dodge/evasion (or at very least just evasion - melee dies easily to burst attacks). And if you go with heavy armor replace Snipe with Sprint.

You don't need so much INT, take 7 - it enables Gun Nut and all other crafting feats.

Leftover points can be put into CON.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:40:54 am »
Offense only works good on paper but on the field it will get your roasted. ;) One can manage with exeptionally good crowd control though. I'll put you a build together I think will work well for you.

jj8715

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 08:55:07 am »
Offense only works good on paper but on the field it will get your roasted. ;) One can manage with exeptionally good crowd control though. I'll put you a build together I think will work well for you.

Thanks man. Its a great game and I have progressed significantly  with little help but its very difficult to progress now that I am in faceless territory. Have been using a mixture of traps and long range capabilities to counteract the burrowers and work to this level...but the plasma weapons on faceless are insanely strong

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 09:05:43 am »
Well, there's option to use Biology as your defence. With 60 Bio you can craft Aegis. This and morphine will give you 65% damage reduction (not same as damage resistance) for 3 rounds. After that you quaff your best health hypo and your back to full (or nearly) HP, avoiding Morphine withdrawal effect.

For better effect you can take other damage reduction sources like Conditioning (needs 5 CON) or lifting belt.
You can also increase healing with feats and there's certain endgame armor that boosts healing.

But it is something i yet need to test.

jj8715

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:22 am »
Well, there's option to use Biology as your defence. With 60 Bio you can craft Aegis. This and morphine will give you 65% damage reduction (not same as damage resistance) for 3 rounds. After that you quaff your best health hypo and your back to full (or nearly) HP, avoiding Morphine withdrawal effect.

For better effect you can take other damage reduction sources like Conditioning (needs 5 CON) or lifting belt.
You can also increase healing with feats and there's certain endgame armor that boosts healing.

But it is something i yet need to test.

Haha buddy....that's sorta my problem as well....with testing I went pretty far in this build. Already got the blueprints for aegis but the materials are rare and difficult to find... It would be a waste to let this guy go as I have gotten a Chimera AR and a very sweet Reaper XM and several special guns like Dragunov and MP6....

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 10:40:56 am »
I call this build "Sniper Commando":

Skilldistribution can be something like this: http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwGlEYBYQJgVhAdhAZhANhOC01vCgqMVoaQgQnNOgBxgPgwxYwlyZMncPBA

Main weapons should be a Spearhead sniper and a Hornet assault riffle, both crafted with the rapid reloader mod (-20% base AP cost) to allow 2 sniper shots or AR bursts per round (2 x 24 AP). Dragunov also works pretty well until you can get a decent qualty Spearhead frame.

Ideally fights will go like this: You snipe from as far as possible the nearest enemy, fire the second sniper round, use Sprint and kite away. Usually the enemies will be too far to reliably hit you and will waste most, if not all AP in order to close in. In the second round, if your chance to hit is good enough, you burst with your AR 2 or 3 times (if Concentrated Fire kicks in) and now that you have your full MP and bonus MP from Sprint you either kite away again (good if you're up against melee opponents) or use Evasive Maneuvers for massive evasion bonus. Base damage output from the Hornet is pretty low so imo it pays off to invest in Expertise, after all you'll be hitting with up to 27 bullets per round. It's not mandatory though so you can replace it with some other feat of your choice. Do make sure to get Thick Skull as it will come really handy late game.

For max damage output you could shed 6 points from constituition and put 2 in perception and 4 in intelligence for Gun Nut but I say that it's a big waste. +15% of upper gun damage is worth something like 10% damage on average. Certainly not worth it to essentially half your max health for that. Gun Nut should've been improved, not nerfed.  ::)

I agree with hilf, Aegis is a hell of a drug, especially for a Conditioning build with high constitution and the components are actually not that hard to get with a bit of "farming" in the Foundry mines. As for crafting in general: 3 int is not a problem at all if you use Junkyard Suprise before crafting. Make sure to buy as many of those as possible. At any point in the game when you need to craft something take a look at the character builder above and put 5 instead of 3 int in to see how your crafting skills will change with the +2 bonus. If your skills exceed the min required numbers you see in the crafting screen, go for it and eat till you get +2 int.

Both weapons I mentioned don't have the best critical hit damage so as an alternate build late game you could focus even more on defense with feats like Nimble, Doctor and Fast Metabolism (Last Stand sucks here because of bad initative). This build is probably a better choice for hard difficulty anyway where healing is very limited:

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 03:24:10 pm »
But heavy armor is bad for your Snipe feat.

But is it?
Only requirement for the Sniper is to get 30 skill points in the stealth.
You can then drop putting any more points in the stealth and use heavy armor.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 06:08:47 am »
But heavy armor is bad for your Snipe feat.

But is it?
Only requirement for the Sniper is to get 30 skill points in the stealth.
You can then drop putting any more points in the stealth and use heavy armor.

While meeting the minimal requirement is enough to pick the feat you'll want stealth to be high as possible because:
1. Snipe damage scales with the skill: 225% of weapon damage + 1% per stealth skill point.
2. It works only in stealth mode. With low stealth you'll get detected too soon, especially with high evasion enemies where you need to get pretty close for a decent chance to hit.

So obviously for the purpose of Snipe you should have as low as possible armor penalty (it lowers not only dodge/evasion but stealth as well). You can still successfully use it with metal armor but ideally it should be made of single super steel plate while having the Armor Sloping feat. Combined with Nimble you'll have less than 20% armor penalty which is really not that bad.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 06:04:17 pm »
But 350 damage is still not significantly lower then 425% (25 vs 100 skill).
That is like 20% damage difference for 75 point lower stealth skill.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:33:14 pm »
225% is NOT a damage bonus, it's total damage done by snipe (not counting stealth bonus).
In other words damage bonus is 125% + 1% per stealth. With stealth reduced by heavy armor it's gonna be like 135%.

And it's not bad TBH. It can be boosted with +special attack damage items. Sniper rifles have long range so you can Snipe enemies outside their vision range. You just wouldnt be able to 1HKO as many targets as high stealth sniper.