Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity!  (Read 7574 times)

fallander

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Pillars of Eternity!
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:47:27 am »
What are your thoughts about this game? Personally i think it's great but have to say it was very buggy at first. It becomes much better with all those patches and expansion set.
Very old school and story focused. Can't wait for continuation of white marches.

morimoto

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
I played it when it first came out, gonna play again once White March pt. 2 is released. Great game, i really enjoyed it. I recommend it to everyone that enjoys RPGs.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:16:39 pm »
It was a pretty big disappointment for me. They wanted to get rid of min/maxing and ended up with a pretty bland, unflexible character system. Basically there are only two builds - weak, spongy tanks and dps glass cannons, playing anything in between results in a gimped character. One example of a game why worrying to much about balance can hurt the combat system. Just like Styg said in the interview, unless it's a MMO balance between the builds should not be a concern.
In PoE you can't get creative with your builds like you can in Underrail. 6 characters and you always end up playing with the same tactics. Boring.

Last time I played it was like 6 months ago but I doubt that anything changed significally since.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:19:09 pm by Wildan »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »
It plays like a singleplayer MMO if you ask me.

I liked the guns mechanics for how realistic they were though, I can't think of any other RPG that did that.

It was pretty fun to make a character with 4 weapon slots/switch time reduction to carry 4 pre-loaded pistols so you can unload them all in a short period of time without any reloading. Even better when you make a whole party like that, that's 24 shots before reloading.

Or a whole party with arquebuses that starts every enocunter with a deadly volley.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 02:41:07 pm »
I bought it but I didn't enjoy as with the olde Baldur's Gate (Infinity Engine) games era. Maybe it's I am getting old. Maybe it's I don't like Real-time-with-pause combat. Not sure. It's not a bad game at all (by all means). But I didn't bought any of the expansions and I think I don't intend to.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:11:37 am »
I bought it but I didn't enjoy as with the olde Baldur's Gate (Infinity Engine) games era. Maybe it's I am getting old. Maybe it's I don't like Real-time-with-pause combat. Not sure. It's not a bad game at all (by all means). But I didn't bought any of the expansions and I think I don't intend to.

Funny story, I played Baldur's Gate(remake, 1 and 2) after playing PoE. Still liked Baldur's gate series better.

I find the story of PoE pretty terrible... Maybe that it doesn't feel like my adventure, but spectating someone else's story. Maybe I find following Gods' orders distasteful. I can't quiet put my finger on it.
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

TrueNeutralEvGenius

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Polymath. Misanthrope. Nihilist. Nonconformist.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch channel
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:15:23 pm »
It is a really bad game.
Connoisseur of Tragedy, Cyberpunk and Dystopia genres.
Streaming 100% analytical walkthroughs and exploring of Underrail, System Shock, Fallout, Arcanum, Deus Ex, D&D like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and other great & my favourite games: https://www.twitch.tv/trueneutralevgenius

STEN

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 11:29:43 am »
Biggest disappointment of this game - Unity engine, which dictates small (really small) locations  with extensive load time transfering between them + all buildings requires additional loading, doing quests in "cities" is quite irritating 'cause of it. In 2016, аfter Divinity:Original Sin, where whole level loaded at once it looks just not right. I know unity have it's bright side (mostly for developing process) but all of it in expense of end user convinience.

Technical matters aside - there is nice quests with multiple ways to complete them, fine characters, attention to details.
I always said that Obsidian is talented guys, but with hands that grows from wrong place.

Главная проблема игры - движок Юнити, соответственно: высокие требования, микролокации с постоянной подгрузкой при переходе + здания отдельно. В итоге по городам перемещаться особо не хочется лишний раз - половину времени смотреть в загрузочный экран не интересно. После Divinity, в которой одна загрузка на всю карту, это уже выглядит неуважением к игрокам. Юнити удобная штука для разработки, снижает расходы и ускоряет время на работу по проекту, но в итоге все это за счет игрока.

А в остальном - очень неплохая классическая РПГ с толковыми вариативными квестами, проработанными персонажами (+ вменяемые диалоги), сделано всё с вниманием к деталям.
Всегда говорил - "Обсидиан" талантливые парни с кривыми руками.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:03:01 pm »
It's hot garbage.  I was expecting bg3 and I got nothing of the sort.  It has some good ideas, and I like some of the locations, but overall it's a very unsatisfying game.  I regret buying it. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 01:27:55 pm »
It's hot garbage.  I was expecting bg3 and I got nothing of the sort.  It has some good ideas, and I like some of the locations, but overall it's a very unsatisfying game.  I regret buying it.
I agree. Tried to like it but it really is not a good game, one of very few games I wish I never bought.

Had to by Underrail twice, to attone for my sin of buying PoE.

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 06:29:21 pm »
I don't know, I thought it was a pretty good game. I loved being a DPS glass cannon mage party that nuked everything to death. The evolution in the power of your spells is pretty good, and there are plenty of interesting quests with a variety of impactful decisions you can make. I don't understand how that's bad. The endless paths was one of the most fascinating areas I've ever seen.

I feel like most people here prefer different types of games. Comparing POE to Underrail, I honestly think POE was better just because of the richness of the locations and graphics, but its hard to compete when they have so many more employees. Underrail had really great atmosphere and gameplay, as well as good story, it just wasn't as pretty to look at.

Twiglard

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 08:53:55 pm »
You're necroing an old thread but it's probably ok anyway.

I actually liked Tyranny for what it intended to be. It was flawed, but at least tried to do things in the vein of the classics.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 01:31:42 pm »
Was flawed becaue people from Tyranny team were moved to work on RoE. I mean mostly because of it, I still doubt it would be any good with its stupid concept.

STEN

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 01:55:52 pm »
Did anyone tried secong game?
Is it better?

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 06:28:46 pm »
Did anyone tried secong game?
Is it better?

Pretty good like the first, I've finished the game and it has a lot of replayability value in my case for the class combinations, IMO the only downside was the spells and abilities are completely the same from the previous one (a few with minor changes to fit the game's engine) but nevertheless it is good so far, having your own naval ship and its management is a nice addition, also it is actively receiving patches, improvements without much delay along with new content.