Author Topic: Frag Grenades overpowered?  (Read 4989 times)

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Frag Grenades overpowered?
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:13:20 pm »
Is it just me, or are Frag Grenades overpowered when used against player?

First, there is direct heat damage. That is OK.
Then if grenade hits the player almost directly, he will get hit by 5-7 fragment hits, each worth as much as single bullet from the decent gun, increasing total damage to ridicules proportions.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Note that there is no issues when attacking enemies, since when targeting multiple enemies those fragments will be split on multiple targets. On the other hand, player is always on his own, so he will be hit with full force of all shrapnels.

MichaelBurge

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Frag Grenades overpowered?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:52:55 pm »
I believe they're completely absorbed by a high frequency energy shield. An enemy EMP grenade or sniper are far worse. And I think that Molotovs or EMP grenades give enemies the most trouble.

You could also try wearing some armor with a high damage threshold, since each point in threshold should block 5-7 points of damage in total(one for each shrapnel).

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 08:58:26 pm »
I believe they're completely absorbed by a high frequency energy shield.

Yep, but in the process they completely drain the energy shield, since amount on damage is still huge.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:18:11 pm »
You must have some really weak shields if they get drained by a single frag. My crafted energy shields could take even 10 direct hits, if not more. I think good crafted metal armor would be even better, and high evasion reduces the damage taken from AoE effects as well, so you definitely have options.

They hit for a considerable amount of damage that's true, but there is a reason why grenades have such a long cooldown and skill requirment. They are supposed to be more advantageous than simply shooting your gun.

Also, frags are supposed to be devastating against soft-armored targets, as opposed to HE grenades which perform better against heavy armor.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 02:49:10 am »
You must have some really weak shields if they get drained by a single frag.

It's a stock shield that absorbs 300 damage. Almost all gone with single frag.

MichaelBurge

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 03:12:59 am »

That sounds about right - mine is 712 capacity and it can last 2-4 hits depending on close the frag hits. I also get one-shot without my shields up. I wear light armor because I prefer movement speed, so they really hurt. However, I've always been able to manage, even when I had a weaker shield.

Try using very heavy armor(70% penalty or even more) if there's a specific fight that's bothering you. Sometimes I equip one of those galvanic anti-rifle overcoats with a 20 mechanical threshold and 200% increased threshold against bullets to gain bullet immunity in some fights. It might help you last long enough to pick a couple people off in your fight. Morphine could also help.

You can also try using Molotovs - if you set the grenade thrower on fire, then he's disabled for a couple turns. You could also use shock bolts or similar to stun him. Make sure you initiate the battle on them rather than letting them see you first.

I'll say this though: This game doesn't have a ridiculous power curve like many other RPGs. Most fights I come across still end badly if I don't initiate right, and I think I'm getting close to the end. They only seem easier because I'm better at using all of the mechanics available to me. Frag grenades are powerful, but you do get used to them.

starfish

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:18:37 am »
I tried to use HE grenades several times but they are useless in comparison with the frag grenades. HE should be improved somehow.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 04:05:57 pm »
They are useful against armored opponents.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 05:27:43 pm »

Yup, the crafted ones can get as high as 1500-1800+ capacity, maybe even 2000+ in the endgame area.

You should be happy that you can get an absolute protection from a single frag without any skill investment though.