Author Topic: Normal is too hard, easy is too easy  (Read 9530 times)

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Normal is too hard, easy is too easy
« on: December 27, 2015, 05:41:21 pm »
I do like the challenge but I do not like it when the game is just forcing you to exploit game mechanics, like zone transition for example in order to win the battles. The main problem is that sometimes (and it's chance based) game puts you into a situation when no matter what you do or how you still going to die. Simple examples when you get aggro from a group of enemies which (group) has both high dps and a lot of different type of controllers. So basically your health gets debuffed, you get poisoned, you get rooted, you get stunned and finally you die. Trying to tank the hell out of your character is still not panacea... cause you do have a lot of meanings to avoid or mitigate mechanical, but by far not so much to avoid elemental, poison, etc. That's when playing on normal.

When you play on easy then majority of fights which were fine on normal now become too easy and those occasions when fights were too hard now become managable, so you can complete the game but without enough of challenge. No challenge - no fun.

There should be meanings to make game both challenging but not to the point when you have to abuse game mechanics. Maybe HP pool should be increased. Maybe there should be more control over battlefield, like if you are stealthy you should be able to pick enemies from a group one by one, somehow luring them out. Maybe crowd control/debuffing abilities should be somehow nerfed...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:44:27 pm by criosray »

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Normal is too hard, easy is too easy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 07:50:35 pm »
Well, the game certainly doesn't force you to cheese through the game on normal, been playing on hard for a while without any zone transition cheating or whatnot.

I made a thread three days ago here with changes to difficulty I think are necessary, and that's pretty much what I'd have to say on the matter.

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 08:44:38 pm »
Reloading the game before the fight is also cheesing game mechanics and I refuse to believe if you say that you don't have to press load button every so often. I don't mind doing it occasionally, but if you have to do it to get that 20-30% chance to get a high rolls here and there to overcome the odds then it's definitely cheesing game mechanics in my book. There are plenty of let's plays on YouTube, there is some germany (I think) guy playing on Hard and he's over-abusing game mechanics repeatedly most of the encounters.

Besides, it's so easy to gimp your character if you don't read a lot on game mechanics or just decide to go loose on your skills and/or feats...

Styg,

Maybe you could make something in between Easy and Normal? Let it be Easy (current Easy), Normal (new), Hard (current Normal), Very Hard (current Hard) ? That shouldn't take much effort, right?

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 08:52:30 pm »
Well, you should believe otherwise ;)  I've died like 5 times on hard so far, most of the way through xD  Hard only even exists because a lot of us playtested every other release for styg :)

As for difficulty, as I said I think it needs changes and health+hypo are not the only things imo that should be changed.  But I have some very specific thoughts in the thread I made on it, no need to repeat myself :D

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:56:06 pm »
Mind telling me what build do you play and how far have you progressed with those only 5 reloads?

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »
Sure, it's basically the assault tank from the steam guide I made, only with 7 int, so far finished half of corecity/foundry.  But really any one of those suggested ones could do the same, although they'd need traps if they wanted the reloading to be lower in light armor due to traps.  Maybe the hammer couldn't, the rebalanced heavy armour wasn't designed for hammer builds really :/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:11:12 pm by Greep »

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 10:12:00 am »
Well, maybe you know something that I don't or you are really good player but I really cannot see how can you manage 4-5 NPCs with a lot of controlling, a lot of HP and hell a lot of DPS that game throws at you from time to time... Maybe because you played the game so much you know exactly how to prepare for each encounter - what armor to wear, what ammo to use, etc-etc, but that's effectively the same as reloading the game for the same encounter a few times until you figure our strategy that can help you win against the odds even if you are not very lucky on rolls...

Just notice how this guy is playing on Hard: https://youtu.be/XKPcWWgbuYo?t=2660 - missed Aimed Shot? Reload. Missed Kneecap Shot? Reload. Got critted couple times? Reload... Etc-etc-etc...

Basically, I am not asking for the current Hard to get nerfed. But would be really nice to get a difficulty level in between current Easy and Normal... And also to rename Normal to Hard (because it's actually harder than most games Hard mode) and Hard to Very Hard... That should make everyone happy - good players like you and crappy players who still like extra bit of challenge like me hehe...

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:43:33 am »
Well, maybe you know something that I don't or you are really good player but I really cannot see how can you manage 4-5 NPCs with a lot of controlling, a lot of HP and hell a lot of DPS that game throws at you from time to time... Maybe because you played the game so much you know exactly how to prepare for each encounter - what armor
Omg, no! Playing with 1 armor(except set for sneaking and set for bio-resistance) and don't really care about preparing for each encounter(except some hardest like Fort Apogee, for example).
Just kill them all with AOE! With good grenades or with AOE Psi, traps... It's not so hard(it's soedn't matter on what diff you playing on)!
Or disable "controllers" first and survive damage from other enemies.
Use covers, corners, use your brain =_=

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:31:46 am »
Are you playing on Easy? On normal grenades only able kill minor npcs: rats, dogs and such. Same goes for aoe Psi.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 12:12:24 pm »
Just notice how this guy is playing on Hard: https://youtu.be/XKPcWWgbuYo?t=2660 - missed Aimed Shot? Reload. Missed Kneecap Shot? Reload. Got critted couple times? Reload... Etc-etc-etc...

He plays like shit then, and I don't understand at all how someone's shitty play can be argument for something.
There is something wrong.
Just now I'm playing on Hard with pistol with 3 Con. Feel fine.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 12:14:03 pm »
Are you playing on Easy? On normal grenades only able kill minor npcs: rats, dogs and such. Same goes for aoe Psi.

So you even doesn't know about Grenade V?

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 12:36:03 pm »

So you even doesn't know about Grenade V?

And how many hours into the game FGV becomes readily available? Also what to do for all those who didn't level throwing?

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 12:37:30 pm »
Besides, FGV is only efficient against lightly armored targets.

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »
Why every topic have to be derailed by some elitiest kid who come only to brag about his l33t skillz... Sigh...

criosray

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile