Author Topic: Solution to the slow walking speed (guide + pics)  (Read 15799 times)

Ulminati

• Noob
    • View Profile
Solution to the slow walking speed (guide + pics)
« on: December 26, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »
A quick how-to for people who find the walk speed in underrail a bit on the slow side. With handy pictures.

Usual disclaimer: I've tested it. It works for me. If your computer spontaneously explodes, it's not my fault.
A video of it in action (apologies for potato quality) is available here: http://www.twitch.tv/ulminati/v/31947021

Step 1: Download cheatengine -> http://www.cheatengine.org/
Step 2: Install and run (obviously)
Step 3: Launch underrail

Step 4: Click the computer icon in the upper left, find your underail process, (XXXXXXXX-underrail.exe), select open

Step 5: Enable speedhack in the right side of the cheatengine window, then click apply:

Step 6: Pick a pair of hotkeys that underrail isn't using already. (Numeric keypad seems a bit iffy, I'd advise against that)
Step 7: In cheatengine, go to edit->settings in the menu, then select hotkeys.
Step 8: There are 5 speed preset hotkeys. Click in the input field beneath hotkey to set a key. Be sure to change the "speed" input to whatever multiplier you want the key to use (I like 1.00 and 5.00 respectively)

And you should now be able to change gamespeed with a single keypress. Bear in mind that this changes the speed of EVERYTHING, including the speed at which enemies detect you while in stealth. I recommend sticking to x1 speed while exploring, then bumping it when backtracking through safe areas. You may have to re-locate the underrail process again (step 4) next time you run it.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:23:19 pm by Ulminati »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Solution to the slow walking speed (guide + pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:35:10 pm »
Thanks mate, it helps a lot. Makes shops restock faster, which is good.
I use x2 all the time.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 02:49:34 pm »
Makes shops restock faster, which is good.

Greetings.

I have used this.. method(and some others) in underrail for ages.(Because getting Q.160 supersteel isn't just going to happen by luck) Time to diverge some tips.

Every computer has some caps on speed of how fast it can work. Limit of the speed could - theoretically improve - with lowered graphical settings or possibly lowered resolution.
(I didn't test resolution part. Maybe in the future.)

That being said, anything taking up graphical or computing resources could slow down the speeding. What I do suggest is speed up as much as you can - in a cave where no one is present but you.
Spend 10 minutes AFK, speed down, and enjoy shop restock.

You can check how much time has passed in game using the save file, because save file also displays playtime(which is also sped up by the hack).

Since certain shop mechanics patch, I do not have clear idea of when restock happens.
but following the pre-patch rules, it would still restock after 1 hour 20 minutes ish after your FIRST interaction AFTER shop refresh.

Good luck with your mat hunting, and other stuff.
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:40:56 am »
This really is a lifesaver. Much improved my enjoyment of the game. Once I have discovered every bit of an area, backtracking can be quite tedious, especially with certain arbitrary areas with no real use, such as all the throughways in Core City. I absolutely love it, thank you.

Masole

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:33:42 am »
Yeah thanks Ulminati. It makes the game a whole lot smoother to play.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 03:46:37 pm by Masole »